Bug Hunting Session
Bug 100304 - Dual HiDPI monitors, menu and cascading sub-menus display for a second then blank out on secondary screen
Summary: Dual HiDPI monitors, menu and cascading sub-menus display for a second then b...
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
5.1.3.2 release
Hardware: x86-64 (AMD64) Windows (All)
: medium minor
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: HiDPI Multimonitor
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2016-06-10 09:03 UTC by Ernest Bywater
Modified: 2018-11-27 21:28 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Ernest Bywater 2016-06-10 09:03:22 UTC
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:46.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/46.0.1 Waterfox/46.0.1
Build Identifier: Version: 5.1.3.2 Build ID: 644e4637d1d8544fd9f56425bd6cec110e49301b CPU Threads: 8; OS Version: Windows 6.1; UI Render: GL;  Locale: en-AU (en_AU)

When I have a copy of LO Writer open on each of my 28 inch 4K monitors while editing between documents the sub-windows open for a second, then goes blank. Both the same model monitor and working on the same graphics card. It only happens on the secondary screen, not the primary one.

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Open LO Writer Files on two screens to edit them.
2. Go to use a menu or sub-menu item on the secondary screen
3. Sub-menu will appear with option, then go blank.
Actual Results:  
Occurs every time I try on my system, and the behaviours switches monitors if I change the designation of the primary monitor.

Expected Results:  
It should have displayed the sub-menu properly with it's contents until a selection within it is made or the focus moves off the sub-menu window.

I now use 2 28 inch 4 K monitors win Win 7 Pro. When I have a copy of LO Writer open on each screen while editing between documents the sub-windows open for a second, then go blank. It was happening on only one of the monitors and they're both the same model and working on the same graphics card. I tested the issue with other word processing software like Notepad++ and it doesn't happen with them. However, when I changed the designation Primary Monitor within the nVidea control software the problem swapped monitors. It doesn't happen on the Primary screen, but does happens all the time on the secondary screen. Not sure if this is an issue with Windows, the graphics card, or LO. But, so far, it's only happened within the LO software on the file opened on the secondary screen. I work around it by moving the active document to the primary screen.


Reset User Profile?Not yet, because I hate doing that. Will update if there's a change when I do try it.
Comment 1 V Stuart Foote 2016-06-10 13:48:18 UTC
On Windows 10 Pro 64-bit en-US with two 1080p displays nVidia GTX-750i and
Version: 5.1.3.2 (x64)
Build ID: 644e4637d1d8544fd9f56425bd6cec110e49301b
CPU Threads: 8; OS Version: Windows 6.19; UI Render: default; 
Locale: en-US (en_US)

Can not reproduce with this dual 1080p setup. It could be LO handling of the dual HiDPI monitors, or could be the OS/graphics card--unfortunately your set up will not be common.

Otherwise, a few questions regards this report.

You say "menus" and "sub-menus", please give a specific that consistently faults so we can retest.

And to be clear no toolbars or dialog windows are similarly affected--just the main menus and and any cascading sub-menus?

Also, when you say "go blank" does that mean the window frame is still visible but nothing is rendered inside it? Or does it simply close?

For testing you can rename your LibreOffice profile, found at  "%APPDATA%\LibreOffice", and retest--a new profile will be created. You can name the original back to restore it, or can copy over configurations to the new profile after testing.
Comment 2 Ernest Bywater 2016-06-10 14:28:08 UTC
(In reply to V Stuart Foote from comment #1)

I'm using Win 7 Pro - the monitors are 2 AOC U2868 28 inch 4 K monitors set to 3840 x 2160 in landscape. I've not specifically tested every menu item, and usually only use LO Writer, so not tested the other products. The issue occurs ONLY on the monitor set as the 2nd monitor, if I change primary monitors the problem transfers - thus I suspect it may be a focus related issue, but I don't know enough about that side of the software.

I write stories and have a master document in a 6 x 9 inch book format I transfer edits into from my editors. I open one file up on the primary screen and one on the secondary screen. On the secondary screen if I click on a word highlighted as a spelling error the sub-menu window that shows the choices and dictionary options opens, shows the items for a second or two, then goes blank. I also have the menu bar along the top of the screen because I prefer to use it, when I select a menu item it open, shows the options for a second, and then goes blank. In either, if there is a lower level menu and I hover the mouse over the spots it is in the next level menu will open for a second and go blank.

While typing this reply I had a thought and did an experiment with a file. Single File open in LO Writer. In the primary screen all the menus etc work fine, drag the LO window over into the secondary monitor and I have the vanishing menus issue occur. I have a couple of other word processing programs on the system and I tried the same trick with them, they do not have the vanishing menu problem. Of the many programs I have running, only LO demonstrates this issue of the vanishing menus.

I just confirmed it IS a LO Writer issue. I opened a LO Calc file and it does NOT have the same problem, it displays and works the same on both monitors.

I did try replacing the profile, and it made no change to the problem.

I've no idea what the cause is. But because there's a simple work around of having the active file on the primary monitor I've put it as a low priority, but still felt it should be reported in case it affects others as well. Whatever is causing this may affect something else, later. Many years ago when I did some programming I was always told to report unexpected behaviour in the software, so I am.
Comment 3 Buovjaga 2016-10-14 11:20:30 UTC
(In reply to Ernest Bywater from comment #2)
> Many years ago
> when I did some programming I was always told to report unexpected behaviour
> in the software, so I am.

You did The Right Thing(TM) :)
Btw. we could always use more testers: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/GetInvolved

Is the problem continuing with version 5.2.2?
Comment 4 Ernest Bywater 2016-10-15 17:59:40 UTC
Just to add some confusion to the situation, today i was able to get my system working in Kubuntu 16.10. New install of Libre Office on Kubuntu, and the bug isn't evident. Shut down and went back to Windows 7 Pro, latest version of Libre Office, bug is still evident.

At this point I'm totally confused as to what the cause is. Due to the fact the problem changes with the platform, I now wonder if it's a Windows issue or a nVidea Driver issue.

I do not envision having to do much in Windows in the future, better to stay where things work.
Comment 5 Ernest Bywater 2016-10-15 18:03:51 UTC
(In reply to Buovjaga from comment #3)
> (In reply to Ernest Bywater from comment #2)
> > Many years ago
> > when I did some programming I was always told to report unexpected behaviour
> > in the software, so I am.
> 
> You did The Right Thing(TM) :)
> Btw. we could always use more testers:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/GetInvolved
> 
> Is the problem continuing with version 5.2.2?

Yes it did continue while using 5.2 in Windows 7 - but not evident in 5.2.2.2 in Linux.

I'll reboot to Windows again tomorrow and double confirm and get back to you, as well. Because I'm not sure if I have 5.2 or 5.2.2. on the Windows system.
Comment 6 Ernest Bywater 2016-10-15 19:52:59 UTC
(In reply to Buovjaga from comment #3)
> (In reply to Ernest Bywater from comment #2)
> > Many years ago
> > when I did some programming I was always told to report unexpected behaviour
> > in the software, so I am.
> 
> You did The Right Thing(TM) :)
> Btw. we could always use more testers:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/GetInvolved
> 
> Is the problem continuing with version 5.2.2?

Did some more testing back on the Win 7 drive. Was using LO 5.2.1.2 so updated to 5.2.2.2 and the issue is still there on Windows 7.

However, the issue is NOT there in LO 5.2.2.2 on Kubuntu 16.10 - - which makes me now wonder if it's a handshaking issue with Win 7 or the Windows driver for the nVidea c960 ard I'm using.
Comment 7 Ernest Bywater 2018-05-23 00:24:03 UTC
Due to other real life issues I've not checked on this for a while. However, here is the state of the nation on this.

I now use the latest version of Zorin Linux which is based on Ubuntu. I also now have a quantity of 4 monitors of 4K quality all hooked up to the system. I've been using the latest release version of Libre Office all along.

Currently using 6.0.4.2 - I only ever use Writer and Calc with Writer being 80% of my usage.

In my current set up all of the menus and sub-menus and pop-up windows and sub-windows display the item choices properly. However, the tick marks beside what is active do NOT display except when I hover the mouse over the choice involved. This happens on all of the menus and it doesn't matter which monitor it's on as it occurs on the primary and all of the secondary monitors.

This is a very minor issue which has been going on for so long I've learned to live with it, but it does mean I have to hover over every option choice to see what is active and what isn't, instead of seeing them at a glance.

I'm only reporting it because it's an unexpected behaviour.
Comment 8 Xisco Faulí 2018-11-27 20:23:21 UTC
Hello Ernest Bywater,
A new major release of LibreOffice is available since this bug was reported.
Could you please try to reproduce it with the latest version of LibreOffice
from https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/ ?
I have set the bug's status to 'NEEDINFO'. Please change it back to
'UNCONFIRMED' if the bug is still present in the latest version.
Comment 9 Ernest Bywater 2018-11-27 21:10:38 UTC
Just checked using Libre Office 6.1.3.2 and all works perfectly with no evidence of the issue at all. I've changed the status to resolved.

Thank you.
Comment 10 Xisco Faulí 2018-11-27 21:28:03 UTC
Thanks for retesting with the latest version.
Setting to RESOLVED WORKSFORME as the commit fixing this issue hasn't been identified.