Linux Mint 18 (Cinnamon).
I have .odt & .otg on a local server who's address is 192.168.1.8
When attempting to open them (via Nemo), Libreoffice asks for credentials, I fill them in. Press 'OK', then I get a dialog box saying:
"The host name 192.168.1.8 could not be resolved." - And that's that no file opened.
Going into more detail, I get the same error attempting to open files using FTP via:
- Bash (`libreoffice5.2 ftp://firstname.lastname@example.org/path.odg`)
- Libreoffice's Open Remote File Dialog
- Libreoffice's Open File Dialog
- Nemo (File Browser)
So out of all the ways to get to the file, all of them fail the same way.
Now here's the kicker: if I use SFTP or SSH, it works perfectly fine. So this is obviously a FTP-only issue.
Also allow me to add that this same FTP connection works fine with all other services requiring it: so it is certainly not an issue with the server or client computers, it is only libreoffice having issues with it.
Thank you very much!
PS: Before anyone get's on their high horse about why not to use FTP: I am using FTP because I need all the speed I can get, for I am dealing with large files. ;)
Duplicate of bug 72460?
(In reply to V Stuart Foote from comment #1)
> Duplicate of bug 72460?
The author of bug 72460 managed to get his working via the 'open file' -> '...' dialog. I am not able to do that.
Since the bug hasn't been confirmed independently, let's leave status as UNCONFIRMED.
I tried accessing files via FTP (anonymous user) over home network, and had no problem. Used LibreOffice 18.104.22.168 on Ubuntu 14.04.
(In reply to Aron Budea from comment #4)
> I tried accessing files via FTP (anonymous user) over home network, and had
> no problem. Used LibreOffice 22.214.171.124 on Ubuntu 14.04.
Interesting. Any chance you could test without using anonymous user? And are you entering IP or domain as a host?
(In reply to Sanchke Dellowar from comment #5)
> Interesting. Any chance you could test without using anonymous user? And are
> you entering IP or domain as a host?
Sure, I just tried with a normal user, with same results. I've been using IP address, and tried three of the four methods you listed (except the last one).
So either the message is completely bogus (for example it can't connect to the FTP server for some reason, but gives an unrelated error message), or the issue is indeed that it's trying to resolve an IPv4 address as host name... like, maybe LibreOffice somehow gets the idea the system is only using IPv6 addresses, so it tries to resolve an IPv4 one as host name?
I don't know if that can actually happen, it's just an example of what my thought process would be (there's also the complication that then it likely wouldn't work fine with other services).
Could you please try to reproduce it with the latest version of LibreOffice from https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/ ?
I have set the bug's status to 'NEEDINFO'. Please change it back to 'UNCONFIRMED' if the bug is still present in the latest version.
Dear Bug Submitter,
This bug has been in NEEDINFO status with no change for at least
6 months. Please provide the requested information as soon as
possible and mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED. Due to regular bug
tracker maintenance, if the bug is still in NEEDINFO status with
no change in 30 days the QA team will close the bug as INSUFFICIENTDATA
due to lack of needed information.
For more information about our NEEDINFO policy please read the
wiki located here:
If you have already provided the requested information, please
mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED so that the QA team knows that the
bug is ready to be confirmed.
Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!
Dear Bug Submitter,
Please read this message in its entirety before proceeding.
Your bug report is being closed as INSUFFICIENTDATA due to inactivity and
a lack of information which is needed in order to accurately
reproduce and confirm the problem. We encourage you to retest
your bug against the latest release. If the issue is still
present in the latest stable release, we need the following
information (please ignore any that you've already provided):
a) Provide details of your system including your operating
system and the latest version of LibreOffice that you have
confirmed the bug to be present
b) Provide easy to reproduce steps – the simpler the better
c) Provide any test case(s) which will help us confirm the problem
d) Provide screenshots of the problem if you think it might help
e) Read all comments and provide any requested information
Once all of this is done, please set the bug back to UNCONFIRMED
and we will attempt to reproduce the issue. Please do not:
a) respond via email
b) update the version field in the bug or any of the other details
on the top section of our bug tracker