Bug 104536 (annotation(pen)) - [Meta] Improvements to the annotation (pen) feature
Summary: [Meta] Improvements to the annotation (pen) feature
Status: NEW
Alias: annotation(pen)
Product: Impress Remote
Classification: Unclassified
Component: General (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
2.2.3
Hardware: All All
: medium enhancement
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords: needsDevEval
Depends on: 62366 97484 106247 122732 97482 106246 122274
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2016-12-09 18:07 UTC by Bastián Díaz
Modified: 2019-04-02 08:39 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Bastián Díaz 2016-12-09 18:07:38 UTC
Description:
LO Impress currently has a pen feature using the contextual menu in a slide in a presentation. This is somewhat complex and should have better integration with LibreOffice's two presentation tools such as Presenter Colsole and Impress Remote.

Given the touch features on most of the devices supported in Impress Remote, it makes it ideal to be able to add pencil marks to presentations while being remotely controlled

Steps to Reproduce:
X

Actual Results:  
X

Expected Results:
X


Reproducible: Always

User Profile Reset: No

Additional Info:


User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Fedora; Linux x86_64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0
Comment 1 Heiko Tietze 2017-01-31 09:54:01 UTC
I see some issue, in particular with the refresh. But what do you expect for the pen tool? Do you have any special use case?
Comment 2 Bastián Díaz 2017-02-28 10:10:45 UTC
(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #1)
> I see some issue, in particular with the refresh. But what do you expect for
> the pen tool? 

Well, difficult question but I tried to give my point of view about this topic.
Firstly what I hope is that I can perform the same function currently available in LO remotely via Impress Remote.

However, I would expect this feature to be polished:

general
• Remove this feature from the presentation context menu
• Add the function in the Impress presentation console and it is similar to Impress Remote (here it is important that the presentation console is analogous to Impress Remote and that they share features)

Specific
• Improve the color picker (displaying a predefined color list is better than a color picker)
• Add Highlighter
http://www.dummies.com/software/microsoft-office/powerpoint/how-to-annotate-powerpoint-2016-slides-during-a-presentation/
• Add more drawing tools (As some predefined common stock options) Ex. Like Skitch https://youtu.be/65xmNyCw89A?t=140
  → Arrows
  → Lines
  → Rectangles
  → circles

> Do you have any special use case?

More than use cases respond to a style as a different presenter. For a certain age range or context (eg school) more dynamism is needed or replace the difficulty of working with animations and effects, etc.

• To mark or highlight important text on a slide (or photograph of a journal, magazine, etc.)
• To mark the trend, key point or result of a chart
• To mark details of an image through interaction with the audience (eg, radiography shown to a group of students)
Comment 3 Heiko Tietze 2017-02-28 12:08:18 UTC
(In reply to Bastián Díaz from comment #2)
> general
> • Remove this feature from the presentation context menu
> • Add the function in the Impress presentation console and it is similar to
> Impress Remote (here it is important that the presentation console is
> analogous to Impress Remote and that they share features)

It's the same in MS Office, you get the pen in a context menu. But agreed, this feature could be made available additionally as a toggle button in the presenter console.
 
> Specific
> • Improve the color picker (displaying a predefined color list is better
> than a color picker)

The old picker is really not the best option. Better we use the new picker which would have a recent colors swatch.

> • Add Highlighter
> http://www.dummies.com/software/microsoft-office/powerpoint/how-to-annotate-
> powerpoint-2016-slides-during-a-presentation/
> • Add more drawing tools (As some predefined common stock options) Ex. Like
> Skitch https://youtu.be/65xmNyCw89A?t=140
>   → Arrows
>   → Lines
>   → Rectangles
>   → circles

Good idea.
 
Maybe it's better to file three different tickets for these enhancements. IIRC there is a meta ticket for missing color pickers but I didn't found it glancing over search results.
Comment 4 Bastián Díaz 2017-02-28 19:30:07 UTC
(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #3)
 
> It's the same in MS Office, you get the pen in a context menu.

That's right, but does it have real practical use?
Currently in LO there is no other option, but it could only be useful if the monitor is duplicated. Other presentation programs show a floating box in a corner of the presentation.

> But agreed,
> this feature could be made available additionally as a toggle button in the
> presenter console.
>  

👍🏼

> > Specific
> > • Improve the color picker (displaying a predefined color list is better
> > than a color picker)
> 
> The old picker is really not the best option. Better we use the new picker
> which would have a recent colors swatch.

Sure, but I meant to lay the color picker as second or third choice. Usually only a very small number of basic colors and mainly red color.

> 
> > • Add Highlighter
> > http://www.dummies.com/software/microsoft-office/powerpoint/how-to-annotate-
> > powerpoint-2016-slides-during-a-presentation/
> > • Add more drawing tools (As some predefined common stock options) Ex. Like
> > Skitch https://youtu.be/65xmNyCw89A?t=140
> >   → Arrows
> >   → Lines
> >   → Rectangles
> >   → circles
> 
> Good idea.
>  
> Maybe it's better to file three different tickets for these enhancements.
> IIRC there is a meta ticket for missing color pickers but I didn't found it
> glancing over search results.

You mean: a) add pen feature to presenter console b) add highlighter c) drawing tools, In addition to this report? 

Actually my biggest interest points to something simple from Impress Remote in the first place. It would be nice to have a metabug to suggest improvements to the presentation console.
Comment 5 Heiko Tietze 2017-02-28 21:35:38 UTC
(In reply to Bastián Díaz from comment #4)
> You mean: a) add pen feature to presenter console b) add highlighter c)
> drawing tools, In addition to this report? 
> 
> Actually my biggest interest points to something simple from Impress Remote
> in the first place. It would be nice to have a metabug to suggest
> improvements to the presentation console.

Doesn't sound right, better we get a dev advice. Impress Remote is likely a separate bug.
Comment 6 Bastián Díaz 2017-03-01 06:18:02 UTC
(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #5)
> (In reply to Bastián Díaz from comment #4)
> > You mean: a) add pen feature to presenter console b) add highlighter c)
> > drawing tools, In addition to this report? 
> > 
> > Actually my biggest interest points to something simple from Impress Remote
> > in the first place. It would be nice to have a metabug to suggest
> > improvements to the presentation console.
> 
> Doesn't sound right, better we get a dev advice. Impress Remote is likely a
> separate bug.

I explained it very badly. Anyway I will wait for the evaluation to know if the introduction of the suggested features for Impress Remote are possible.

For now related bug (presenter console): Bug 106246, Bug 106247, Bug 62366
Comment 7 Heiko Tietze 2017-03-01 08:03:00 UTC
(In reply to Bastián Díaz from comment #6)
> > Doesn't sound right, better we get a dev advice. Impress Remote is likely a
> > separate bug.
> 
> I explained it very badly.

You were very clear but my suggestion to split might be wrong. I mean when the feature is upgraded from pen to shapes, or the like, that might be one task. Anyway, as you started with small tasks, which is always great since linking them together is easy, lets make this one a meta ticket.
Comment 8 JhonMerced 2018-01-30 15:21:07 UTC
Yeah, agreed. Let's keep it this way. 
--
J.
http://amsterdamdiary.com