Created attachment 129826 [details]
the warning template
When saving a Calc file as Xlsx, a message is generated to warn of possible data/formatting loss:
Maybe this standard warning about possible changes in a document when changing the extension could be more detailed? Eg: when cell borders are detected: "line thickness will not be kept when changing to the xlsx format".
A short term and maybe more easy improvement could be a link to a wiki page where the results of the conversion are explained. On that page all important changes when saving as xlsx could be mentioned.
Thanks for the idea.. however this has been discussed before. And rejected. Also because it's quite impossible to implement and maintain in a reasonable way...
Hi Cor, I understand my first proposal would be quite a task to implement. But what about the second one? It should be easier to make a list of differences between odp/ods/odt and docx/xlsx/pptx?
hmm. I understand your idea. You could start working on (one, few) of those meta issues?
- Bug 88171 - [Meta] Tracking bug for limitations of binary DOC format
- Bug 88173 - [Meta] Tracking bug for limitations of DOCX (OOXML) format
- Bug 88174 - [Meta] Tracking bug for limitations of binary XLS format
- Bug 88175 - [Meta] Tracking bug for limitations of XLSX (OOXML) format
- Bug 88176 - [Meta] Tracking bug for limitations of binary PPT format
- Bug 88177 - [Meta] Tracking bug for limitations of PPTX (OOXML) format
Hi Cor,thank you for these links. As soon as I find some extra time I'll try to make a report on the wiki. We'll see if something usefull can be made.
OK, nice - let me change this issue's summary etc. then..
OK as such?
Hi Cor, your changes in the title clarify the improvement suggestion, thanks.
I'm starting over here and will continue as soon as I have some more spare time: