Bug 105716 - FILESAVE XLS Saving time regressed about 9x
Summary: FILESAVE XLS Saving time regressed about 9x
Status: RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 105840
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Calc (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
5.2.5.1 release
Hardware: All All
: medium major
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords: bibisected, bisected, filter:xls, regression
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2017-02-02 22:02 UTC by Mark Mclean
Modified: 2017-02-11 08:31 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:
Regression By:


Attachments
XLS file for testing (3.51 MB, application/vnd.ms-excel)
2017-02-08 07:55 UTC, Buovjaga
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Mark Mclean 2017-02-02 22:02:21 UTC
Description:
In Cacl a file saved as an Excel 1997-2003 .xls. 3.4mb. Has been working good for years. THANKS!! Installed 5.2.5.1. Never worked for Calc. Once open it seemed to work ok, been when saving, it took 10 times longer, and had to force LibreOffice to shut down. Had backup copies, tried twice, both times all formulas and data to them were lost. Reinstalled 5.2.4.2. It then worked real good again!
Again thanks for such a good running software. I have really enjoyed it. I hope the above helps. I will try again to update, later.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. 5.2.4.2. was running good
2. Installed 5.2.5.1
3. Lost all data!

Actual Results:  
This is my first time reporting!!! So, not knowing, I copied and pasted the above...
In Cacl a file saved as an Excel 1997-2003 .xls. 3.4mb. Has been working good for years. THANKS!! Installed 5.2.5.1. Never worked for Calc. Once open it seemed to work ok, been when saving, it took 10 times longer, and had to force LibreOffice to shut down. Had backup copies, tried twice, both times all formulas and data to them were lost. Reinstalled 5.2.4.2. It then worked real good again!

Expected Results:
It to not crash, or lose my data when saving.


Reproducible: Always

User Profile Reset: Yes. Reinstalled folder 4. 

Additional Info:
NO! I would have to install all over again 5.2.5.1. I will if you ask me to. Also will give you the file I used if that would help.
I store my file in dropbox. But have never had a problem with saving there before.
I have used the same comuter with Linux lite and LibreOffice for about 2 years.



User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:51.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/51.0
Comment 1 Buovjaga 2017-02-07 13:08:34 UTC
Ok, we will need the file to test. If it contains confidential information, you could try making an anonymous copy of it: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/Bugzilla/Sanitizing_Files_Before_Submission#Sanitize_file_text
.. and then attach using the "Add an attachment" link here in your report.

You can install different versions in parallel: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel/Linux

If you make an anonymous copy, ideally you would test with a parallel 5.2.5 that the copy still shows the problem.

Set to NEEDINFO.
Change back to UNCONFIRMED after you have provided the document.
Comment 2 Mark Mclean 2017-02-07 22:45:58 UTC
I tried to attachment. It did not work. way to may questions I did not understand.
But, if ya still want it it is in the link below. If ya need any else from me, I think it will have to be by email, which I got one from ya but could not reply!!?? Again thanks. 
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxOOsCRxHep8cUhsOUV6OWJvd1E
Comment 3 Buovjaga 2017-02-08 07:54:47 UTC
Thanks, I could reproduce the saving slowness.

Over 1 minute in 5.4.
About 8 seconds in 5.0.2

I guess by "lost data" you mean the hiding of the rows. In the "Time spent reading" sheet, I was able to "Show Rows" by right-clicking the row section in the left. However, in the "Date finished of each group" and "Fill in white cells" "Show Rows" was not offered in the context menu. With "Notes" and "Noble, is daily desire to grow thereby" I had to use "Show Rows", "Show columns" multiple times to show them.

I will create a new report for this problem.

If you don't have to interact with Microsoft Office, I recommend using the native .ods format instead of .xls.

Win 7 Pro 64-bit Version: 5.4.0.0.alpha0+
Build ID: 83e059af2203ec0cd15dea08cfa538555ba14bd7
CPU Threads: 4; OS Version: Windows 6.1; UI Render: default; 
TinderBox: Win-x86@42, Branch:master, Time: 2017-02-06_23:34:43
Locale: fi-FI (fi_FI); Calc: group

5.0.2.2
Comment 4 Buovjaga 2017-02-08 07:55:18 UTC
Created attachment 131002 [details]
XLS file for testing
Comment 5 Xisco Faulí 2017-02-08 10:18:55 UTC
Regression introduced by 228c25fd17727660a3372307e3f73dbcff5e71d2.
Closing as duplicate of bug 105840

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 105840 ***
Comment 6 Buovjaga 2017-02-08 10:29:52 UTC
(In reply to Xisco Faulí from comment #5)
> Regression introduced by 228c25fd17727660a3372307e3f73dbcff5e71d2.
> Closing as duplicate of bug 105840
> 
> *** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 105840 ***

Ok, I see the regression-causing commit is for "Preserving hidden and empty rows after xlsx export" so it seems the row-hiding issue is directly connected and I do not have to report it separately.
Comment 7 Justin L 2017-02-08 11:13:51 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 8 Justin L 2017-02-10 14:21:48 UTC
(In reply to Justin L from comment #7)
Sorry - that should be applies to all of 5.3.x.  First started in 5.2.x with a back-port to 5.2.5.  My mistake.
Comment 9 Justin L 2017-02-11 08:31:00 UTC
This document DOES exhibit the problem of unhiding COLUMNS. Again, I can't bibisect that because I can't open or save .xls documents during that span of time.  Most tabs (including Time Spent Reading) are examples of this bug, and it doesn't appear to be related to the row bug.