Download it now!
Bug 106470 - different Toolbar Layouts
Summary: different Toolbar Layouts
Status: RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 115131
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: UI (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
unspecified
Hardware: All All
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords: needsUXEval
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2017-03-10 08:02 UTC by andreas_k
Modified: 2018-05-06 20:58 UTC (History)
4 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description andreas_k 2017-03-10 08:02:50 UTC
It's very complicated that you have to switch toolbar layout to notebookbar and than you can change to different notebookbar layouts.

Option 1:
---------
One Menu entry Toolbar Layout with sub and subsub groups

Menubar -> View -> 

Toolbar Layout
 - Toolbar
     - Default
     - Single Toolbar
 - Sidebar
 - Notebookbar
     - Contextual Groups
     - Contextual single
     - tabbed

Option 2:
---------
A pop up dialogue menu (which would be the better, but need more work, solution because in the dialogue you can show previews, add the configure section and an link to user supported layouts -> extensions)
Comment 1 Samuel Mehrbrodt (CIB) 2017-03-10 08:55:52 UTC
(In reply to andreas_k from comment #0)
> It's very complicated that you have to switch toolbar layout to notebookbar
> and than you can change to different notebookbar layouts.
> 
> Option 1:
> ---------
> One Menu entry Toolbar Layout with sub and subsub groups
> 
> Menubar -> View -> 
> 
> Toolbar Layout
>  - Toolbar
>      - Default
>      - Single Toolbar
>  - Sidebar
>  - Notebookbar
>      - Contextual Groups
>      - Contextual single
>      - tabbed

The Term "Notebookbar" means as much as "Tabbed Toolbar". A Notebook is a container for tabs. I think we should drop that term as our current implementation allows non-tabbed layout as well.
Comment 2 andreas_k 2017-03-10 10:25:20 UTC
> The Term "Notebookbar" means as much as "Tabbed Toolbar". A Notebook is a
> container for tabs. I think we should drop that term as our current
> implementation allows non-tabbed layout as well.

sure we can rename the name but now it's like I wrote.
Comment 3 V Stuart Foote 2017-03-10 14:51:36 UTC
(In reply to Samuel Mehrbrodt (CIB) from comment #1)

> The Term "Notebookbar" means as much as "Tabbed Toolbar". A Notebook is a
> container for tabs. I think we should drop that term as our current
> implementation allows non-tabbed layout as well.

Sorry, that is a marketing issue now. The "Notebookbar" is a MUFFIN construct to hold customizable .UI controlls as an alternative to our legacy Toolbars, or the .UI Sidebar is cast

We gain nothing arguing the semantics of what to call it now because non-tabbed layouts have been designed--it is still *the* "Notebookbar"

As to Andreas' suggestion to consolidate the various layout options for the User Interface, we will need to do something eventually. The arrangement now with Notebookbar still an experimental feature is adequate, but not intuitive, and not sure I'd call it "complicated".


The "Notebookbar" menu entry should be merged into the "Toolbar Layout" when it is moved from experimental.

I think of it this way, our legacy multi-toolbar layout remains our Default, but onto that we have added the Sidebar. Now with the Notebookbar and MUFFIN taking shape, what should the "new" default be? And how best to expose the options users will have.

Option 2 of providing a layout configuration dialog is appealing UX, but the main menu View -> Toolbar Layout would still need to have the MUFFIN "Notebookbar"  consolidated into it.
Comment 4 Heiko Tietze 2017-03-10 21:41:18 UTC
For the ordinary user it makes no difference, or at least should, whether the toolbar is the conventional UI or an innovative Notebookbar. So ideally we merge all together:

> Menubar -> View -> 
> 
 Toolbar Layout
     - Classic (AKA Default)
     - Single Toolbar
     - Contextual Groups
     - Contextual Single
     - Tabbed (with a better term here)

> Option 2:
> ---------
> A pop up dialogue menu (which would be the better, but need more work,
> solution because in the dialogue you can show previews, add the configure
> section and an link to user supported layouts -> extensions)

The proposal in https://design.blog.documentfoundation.org/2016/12/21/evolving-past-the-restrictions-of-toolbars/ contains of a quick selection in the right-most section of the contextual groups variant (the "favorite" icon with the label below which one is active).
Comment 5 V Stuart Foote 2018-05-06 20:58:34 UTC

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 115131 ***