Download it now!
Bug 107513 - Template title and comments shouldnt be used in document
Summary: Template title and comments shouldnt be used in document
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: LibreOffice (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
5.4.0.0.alpha0+
Hardware: All All
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
: 114259 (view as bug list)
Depends on:
Blocks: Templates
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2017-04-29 05:23 UTC by Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired)
Modified: 2019-01-01 18:10 UTC (History)
5 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2017-04-29 05:23:20 UTC
Steps:
1) Start LibreOffice
2) Click the templates button
3) Select the "Moderate" business letter
4) File > Properties
5) Click the description tab
6) Notice the title and comments fields filled with data from the template

Version: 5.4.0.0.alpha0+
Build ID: f0340e3dca1091accdb71e0c566b96cdf9e0f791
CPU threads: 2; OS: Linux 4.4; UI render: default; VCL: gtk2; 
TinderBox: Linux-rpm_deb-x86_64@70-TDF, Branch:master, Time: 2017-04-21_13:34:48
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); Calc: group
Comment 1 Jacques Guilleron 2017-04-29 06:55:13 UTC
Hi Yousuf,

OK. Also with "Modern" business letter.
LO 5.4.0.0.alpha0+ Build ID: 3a36cf434fb4a967c9ea767cb7ac5f4da0502a0d
CPU threads: 2; OS: Windows 6.1; UI render: default; 
TinderBox: Win-x86@9, Branch:master, Time: 2017-04-28_06:33:58
Comment 2 Patrick Smits 2017-04-29 13:39:15 UTC
On the General tab the Template reference currently is shown as [ "Moderate" business letter ]. I suggest this is changed to [ Moderate business letter ] or something else, so without the extra [ " ].
Comment 3 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2017-04-29 19:24:00 UTC
@Heiko, @Stuart, @Cor: What is your take on this?
Comment 4 Cor Nouws 2017-04-29 19:58:07 UTC
(In reply to Yousuf Philips (jay) from comment #3)
> @Heiko, @Stuart, @Cor: What is your take on this?

This allows to use the template content to fill some props of the resulting document. IMO that is fine.
Comment 5 Cor Nouws 2017-04-29 19:58:42 UTC
And it works like this as long as I remember..?
Comment 6 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2017-04-29 20:13:43 UTC
(In reply to Cor Nouws from comment #4)
> This allows to use the template content to fill some props of the resulting
> document. IMO that is fine.

The template content isnt personalized to what the user has modified the template to be and we have a number of templates without such data and even others with useless tough like "Moderate business letter with sans-serif font" and as these fields never appear in the document, most users would never change them to something else, but this data appears in places like the properties dialog in a file manager and will have a negative impact on the document creator when others see it like so.

(In reply to Cor Nouws from comment #5)
> And it works like this as long as I remember..?

Yes i'd assume it has always been like that, but times are a changing. :D
Comment 7 Cor Nouws 2017-04-30 12:35:40 UTC
(In reply to Yousuf Philips (jay) from comment #6)

> The template content isnt personalized to what the user has modified the
> template to be and we have a number of templates without such data and even
> others with useless tough like "Moderate business letter with sans-serif
> font" and as these fields never appear in the document, most users would

That IMO is more a reason to add better content to the fields (along with better templates to start with).
Comment 8 Heiko Tietze 2017-05-01 09:18:09 UTC
Good templates may add content, though I don't see any real use case. Wonder how MS handles this option, and IIRC this field is one for the epic fails. 

But I tend to agree with Cor (WFM/WF) since the proposed changes introduce if/then complexity. Meaning normal documents do store properties but not templates? Sounds dangerous.
Comment 9 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2017-05-01 11:36:04 UTC
(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #8)
> Good templates may add content, though I don't see any real use case. Wonder
> how MS handles this option, and IIRC this field is one for the epic fails. 

Templates MS provides dont have the fields set.

> But I tend to agree with Cor (WFM/WF) since the proposed changes introduce
> if/then complexity. Meaning normal documents do store properties but not
> templates? Sounds dangerous.

Normal documents dont store properties unless users set it, so it should be the same case for documents created through templates.
Comment 10 Cor Nouws 2017-05-01 11:42:17 UTC
(In reply to Yousuf Philips (jay) from comment #9)
 
> Normal documents dont store properties unless users set it, so it should be
> the same case for documents created through templates.

'so'? A template is not a normal document.
Comment 11 V Stuart Foote 2017-12-05 18:31:12 UTC
*** Bug 114259 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 12 Laurent BP 2017-12-29 09:42:16 UTC
Title field is required in bundled templates to get their name localized in start center.
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/gitweb?p=core.git;a=commitdiff;h=4e2d22bc92d85aa7b3b490c295f3f9d969d6fe33

Comments field is used to give license links for Vintage template for instance.

I would propose to close this bug as WorksForMe
Comment 13 QA Administrators 2018-12-30 03:47:37 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 14 Cor Nouws 2019-01-01 18:10:39 UTC
(In reply to Laurent BP from comment #12)
> Title field is required in bundled templates to get their name localized in
> start center.
> https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/gitweb?p=core.git;a=commitdiff;
> h=4e2d22bc92d85aa7b3b490c295f3f9d969d6fe33
> 
> Comments field is used to give license links for Vintage template for
> instance.
> 
> I would propose to close this bug as WorksForMe

Fully agree. Other comments (apart from OP) also support this opinion. > WFM