Auto-save fails to lock out user UI actions before saving and aborts them awkwardly, sometimes with severe delay and the appearance of a crash
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Set auto-save to a very short duration to shorten reproduction testing time
2. Work normally on formatting
1. dialog boxes are partially redrawn
2. program appears to hang (it will eventually recover)
3. sometimes a command is wrongly applied - for example, you select a cell, then go to the formatting toolbar, and click in the font field. Because of another active bug, the act of clicking fails to select all, so a user who spends a lot of time with the program will reflexively type Ctrl-A immediately after click in the font field. But the autosave has garbled the UI and the control-A gets applied to the whole document, then hangs, and all sorts of other trouble ensues.
1. Whatever command is already in progress when the auto-save kicks in should be allowed to complete before the auto-save operation begins.
2. User commands should be ignored (with or without a warning dialog) during the auto-save.
User Profile Reset: No
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/58.0.3029.110 Safari/537.36
I cannot reproduce, because there is no cue for me when the saving of autorecovery information happens. I set it to 1 minute and there is nothing like in your "Actual results".
I tried having a dialog open and also clicking into the font field and Ctrl-A.
Arch Linux 64-bit, KDE Plasma 5
Build ID: c855400e9686ddd8bcba5691393f839f6f52c966
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 4.11; UI render: default; VCL: kde4;
Locale: fi-FI (fi_FI.UTF-8); Calc: group
Built on June 2nd 2017
Build ID: b08217989558addbcaded122a4e7211ae24bbcff
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 6.19; UI render: default;
TinderBox: Win-x86@42, Branch:master, Time: 2017-05-31_06:31:36
Locale: fi-FI (fi_FI); Calc: group
This is a perfect example of why I think any engineer working on this project needs to spend a full day in the trenches, actually trying to use the program to make a large and complex spreadsheet look good. Do that and you'll not only encounter this problem many times, but you'll understand why my "trivial" and "enhancement" reports are anything but. The high interest in this program stems from the horrendous UI of Microsoft Excel. It's not a "free" program that the world is clamoring for - it's a friendly, elegand, intelligent program. For every two problems you solve in Excel, you add a new one.
Never had problem with auto-save. That said I do not use a PC under MS-Windows...
Please attach a test file complex enough and describe precisely:
- what kind of change / editing should be made in this document to encounter the faulty behavior
- what happens with _this_ test file when working with it.
Please, understand that without a clear scenario to reproduce the faulty behavior, it is impossible to fix it and to write a non-regression test.
Status set to NEEDINFO, please set it back to UNCONFIRMED once requested
informations are provided.
Best regards. JBF
Dear Bug Submitter,
This bug has been in NEEDINFO status with no change for at least
6 months. Please provide the requested information as soon as
possible and mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED. Due to regular bug
tracker maintenance, if the bug is still in NEEDINFO status with
no change in 30 days the QA team will close the bug as INSUFFICIENTDATA
due to lack of needed information.
For more information about our NEEDINFO policy please read the
wiki located here:
If you have already provided the requested information, please
mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED so that the QA team knows that the
bug is ready to be confirmed.
Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!
Dear Bug Submitter,
Please read this message in its entirety before proceeding.
Your bug report is being closed as INSUFFICIENTDATA due to inactivity and
a lack of information which is needed in order to accurately
reproduce and confirm the problem. We encourage you to retest
your bug against the latest release. If the issue is still
present in the latest stable release, we need the following
information (please ignore any that you've already provided):
a) Provide details of your system including your operating
system and the latest version of LibreOffice that you have
confirmed the bug to be present
b) Provide easy to reproduce steps – the simpler the better
c) Provide any test case(s) which will help us confirm the problem
d) Provide screenshots of the problem if you think it might help
e) Read all comments and provide any requested information
Once all of this is done, please set the bug back to UNCONFIRMED
and we will attempt to reproduce the issue. Please do not:
a) respond via email
b) update the version field in the bug or any of the other details
on the top section of our bug tracker