Bug 112382 - Context menu: Rename "Fields" to "Edit Field"
Summary: Context menu: Rename "Fields" to "Edit Field"
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
Inherited From OOo
Hardware: All All
: medium normal
Assignee: Gabor Kelemen
URL:
Whiteboard: target:6.1.0
Keywords: difficultyBeginner, easyHack, skillDesign
Depends on:
Blocks: Context-Menu Fields UNO-Command-Label
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2017-09-14 09:03 UTC by Samuel Mehrbrodt (CIB)
Modified: 2018-05-07 05:19 UTC (History)
9 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Samuel Mehrbrodt (CIB) 2017-09-14 09:03:18 UTC
Open attachment 107260 [details] which has some input fields at the bottom.

When you right click on such a field, you see an entry "Fields...". For clarity this should be renamed to "Edit field...".
Comment 1 Samuel Mehrbrodt (CIB) 2017-09-14 09:11:29 UTC
Also the title of that dialog could be named "Edit Field" instead of "Edit Fields" because you are editing a single field.
Comment 2 Dieter Praas 2017-09-14 10:25:38 UTC
I agree. I prefer "Edit Fields", because the dialog you open is also named "Edit Fields"
Comment 3 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2017-09-14 12:51:37 UTC
(In reply to Samuel Mehrbrodt (CIB) from comment #0)
> When you right click on such a field, you see an entry "Fields...". For
> clarity this should be renamed to "Edit field...".

As there is a single entry in the context menu about fields, there isnt the need to provide additional explanation about the command, but there is when you have multiple entries, like in the case of hyperlinks. So for me this is a wontfix.

(In reply to Samuel Mehrbrodt (CIB) from comment #1)
> Also the title of that dialog could be named "Edit Field" instead of "Edit
> Fields" because you are editing a single field.

This would be a wontfix for me as the dialog allows you to modify more than just a single field at a time when it is opened using the left and right buttons at the bottom left of the dialog, which likely deserve labels rather than arrows.
Comment 4 Heiko Tietze 2017-09-14 15:15:01 UTC
For consistency, I'd always use verb-noun to clearly describe the action and the affected object.
Comment 5 Heiko Tietze 2017-09-14 15:30:20 UTC
HIG says:
* Use a verb-action combination for the label (e.g. Show ruler, Format image) but adopt this rule for localization.
(https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/ContextMenu)

* Use singular form in labeling when applicable (e.g. Insert+Shape, though multiple shapes are listed under the submenu, a user can only select one item).
(https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/MenuBar)
Comment 6 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2017-09-15 13:16:54 UTC
(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #5)
> HIG says:
> * Use a verb-action combination for the label (e.g. Show ruler, Format
> image) but adopt this rule for localization.
> (https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/ContextMenu)

The context menu is filled with entries that have no verb-action combinations for labels (e.g. copy, paste, character, paragraph) and would never have one, so this entry is definitely not applicable to all labels. Even 'adopt this rule for localization' doesnt make sense to me, because localization would only translate what is available in english.
Comment 7 Heiko Tietze 2017-09-15 13:54:55 UTC
(In reply to Yousuf Philips (jay) from comment #6)
> (In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #5)
> > HIG says:
> > * Use a verb-action combination for the label (e.g. Show ruler, Format
> > image) but adopt this rule for localization.
> > (https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/ContextMenu)
> 
> The context menu is filled with entries that have no verb-action
> combinations for labels (e.g. copy, paste, character, paragraph) and would
> never have one, so this entry is definitely not applicable to all labels.
> Even 'adopt this rule for localization' doesnt make sense to me, because
> localization would only translate what is available in english.

In case of very common entries I would agree to keep it short: Copy, Paste, Cut. But why not 'Edit field'? It could also be 'Enable field' or 'Execute field' when the object is placed in a different scenario like Base or Calc.

Adopt localization means to turn the sequence according the language. The noun-verb sequence sound much smoother in German, for example.
Comment 8 Cor Nouws 2017-09-15 18:24:29 UTC
(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #7)

> In case of very common entries I would agree to keep it short: Copy, Paste,
> Cut. But why not 'Edit field'? It could also be 'Enable field' or 'Execute
> field' when the object is placed in a different scenario like Base or Calc.

Makes sense IMO, 'Edit field'. Short ánd clear.
Comment 9 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2017-09-17 16:34:19 UTC
(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #7)
> In case of very common entries I would agree to keep it short: Copy, Paste,
> Cut. But why not 'Edit field'? It could also be 'Enable field' or 'Execute
> field' when the object is placed in a different scenario like Base or Calc.

I gave my suggestion in comment 3 when i would and wouldnt use the verb-noun labeling, and also the verb edit or format are redundant in the context menu as most entries would have one of these verbs infront of the noun. Also adding 'edit' in this scenario means that we would also add it with other single entries like 'bibliography entry...' and 'footnote or endnote...', which will stretch the width of the context menu even further.

> Adopt localization means to turn the sequence according the language. The
> noun-verb sequence sound much smoother in German, for example.

oh okay, thought this would be self understandable for translations in general.
Comment 10 V Stuart Foote 2017-09-18 03:17:43 UTC
Hey, could be a mute point.

When bug 79877 is done (WIP by Bernhard W. and bubli) will the "Input field..." dialog be joining the "Edit field..." dialog on the context menu? Or replacing it?

Either way would make objections to renaming mute.  Just saying...
Comment 11 Thomas Lendo 2018-02-09 12:40:16 UTC
Like Samuel I prefer a clear labeling compared to a short labeling. So "Edit Fields..." is always better than "Fields...".

But when I open the context menu on a field in Writer, I see "Character...", "Paragraph...", "Bullet and Numbering..." and "Page..." above "Fields...". If the latter will be changed, then all other items also should be changed to "Edit xyz...".
Comment 12 Heiko Tietze 2018-02-16 10:53:49 UTC
Please change the label to "Edit Field". Would try to change this line https://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/sw/inc/strings.hrc#500
Comment 13 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2018-02-16 14:04:48 UTC
(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #12)
> Please change the label to "Edit Field". Would try to change this line
> https://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/sw/inc/strings.hrc#500

Its an uno command label, so its would be changed in the .xcu file. The current Label would need to be changed to ContextLabel and a new Label would need to be created.

https://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/UI/WriterCommands.xcu#1334
Comment 14 Xisco Faulí 2018-05-04 02:38:46 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 15 Commit Notification 2018-05-07 05:17:02 UTC
Gabor Kelemen committed a patch related to this issue.
It has been pushed to "master":

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=28ab8b127cf0561789f7683246ca25e889ae43c3

tdf#112382 Rename Field command to Edit Fields in the context menu

It will be available in 6.1.0.

The patch should be included in the daily builds available at
http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/ in the next 24-48 hours. More
information about daily builds can be found at:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Testing_Daily_Builds

Affected users are encouraged to test the fix and report feedback.