Bug Hunting Session
Bug 113845 - Missing Hebrew letters in font used for displaying paragraph style names
Summary: Missing Hebrew letters in font used for displaying paragraph style names
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
6.0.0.0.alpha1+
Hardware: x86-64 (AMD64) Linux (All)
: medium minor
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: RTL-Hebrew
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2017-11-15 05:56 UTC by Omer Zak
Modified: 2018-01-24 08:39 UTC (History)
4 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
Missing Hebrew glyphs in font being used in combobox's dropdown list (60.23 KB, image/png)
2017-11-15 05:57 UTC, Omer Zak
Details
screenshot (43.20 KB, image/png)
2017-11-20 23:02 UTC, Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired)
Details
Hebrew text for "כותרת 1" (Heading 1) is seen after editing this style (21.56 KB, image/png)
2017-11-21 11:45 UTC, Omer Zak
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Omer Zak 2017-11-15 05:56:00 UTC
Description:
The font being used for displaying text in the paragraph style combobox's droplist is missing Hebrew letters, so the style names are displayed with rectangles.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Set UI to Hebrew.
2. Leave locale at default (English USA)
3. Enable Hebrew CTL

Actual Results:  
Paragraph style names in the dropdown list are displayed with rectangles instead of Hebrew letters.

Expected Results:
Paragraph style names in the dropdown list are displayed with Hebrew letters.


Reproducible: Always


User Profile Reset: No



Additional Info:
The selected paragraph style in the text control part of the combobox is displayed correctly.


User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/62.0.3202.75 Safari/537.36
Comment 1 Omer Zak 2017-11-15 05:57:04 UTC
Created attachment 137769 [details]
Missing Hebrew glyphs in font being used in combobox's dropdown list
Comment 2 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2017-11-20 23:02:47 UTC
Created attachment 137881 [details]
screenshot

Works fine for me.

גרסה: 6.0.0.0.alpha1
מזהה הבנייה: c1d1f859b268f650143d48f294999cda0fa57350
CPU threads: 2; OS: Linux 4.4; UI render: בררת מחדל; VCL: gtk2; 
מיקום: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); Calc: group
Comment 3 Omer Zak 2017-11-20 23:16:44 UTC
The problem was seen in:

Version: 6.0.0.0.alpha1+
Build ID: 637d96a25926e299fff5b4cf5a0055b1d171b23b
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 4.9; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3; 
Locale: en-US (en_US.utf8); Calc: group

OS: Debian 64bit Stretch (Debian 9.2, with some backported packages)

Installed Culmus package information:
$ dpkg -l | egrep -i culmus
ii  culmus                                    0.130-1                                     all          TrueType and Type1 Hebrew Fonts for X11
Comment 4 Omer Zak 2017-11-20 23:34:06 UTC
The problem was seen also when I operated LibreOffice in GTK2 mode using:
'SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN="gtk" ./soffice'
Comment 5 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2017-11-21 10:12:00 UTC
Comment 2 was on Linux Mint 18 Mate and i tested now on Ubuntu Mate 16.04 with the same 6.0 alpha1 build and cant reproduce there.
Comment 6 Omer Zak 2017-11-21 11:45:55 UTC
Created attachment 137890 [details]
Hebrew text for "כותרת 1" (Heading 1) is seen after editing this style

I chose the style "כותרת 1" (Heading 1), and edited it:
Styles > Edit Style... > Font

The original Western font was Liberation Sans, bold, 130%
The original CTL font was Miriam CLM for Hebrew, bold, 130%

I changed the Western font to David CLM. No other changes were made.
Now, Hebrew letters are seen in the dropdown's list for this list item.

Looks like the dropdown list does not try to use the CTL font in this case.
Comment 7 Eyal Rozenberg 2017-11-21 17:11:20 UTC
Not seeing this with LO 5.4.1.2 on Lubuntu 17.10 . Also, when I set the UI to Hebrew, the vertical side-bar is on the left, not the right like in the screenshots.
Comment 8 Xisco Faulí 2018-01-22 15:01:55 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 9 Omer Zak 2018-01-24 07:59:49 UTC
I did not reproduce the bug in:

Version: 6.0.0.0.alpha1+
Build ID: c1d1f859b268f650143d48f294999cda0fa57350
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 4.9; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3; 
Locale: en-US (en_US.utf8); Calc: group

The build was tagged as: libreoffice-6.0.0.0.alpha1-buildfix1
Comment 10 Xisco Faulí 2018-01-24 08:39:34 UTC
Hi Omer,
I guess we can close this as RESOLVED WORKSFORME then.
Regards