Download it now!
Bug 114491 - Scrolling menu bar menus at low vertical resolutions
Summary: Scrolling menu bar menus at low vertical resolutions
Status: RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 113713
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
5.4.4.1 rc
Hardware: All All
: medium enhancement
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: Main-Menu GTK3
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2017-12-15 17:24 UTC by capri
Modified: 2017-12-17 12:59 UTC (History)
5 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description capri 2017-12-15 17:24:57 UTC
Description:
I have a 768 vertical resolution and with the start menu, there is not enough space for the menus (File, edit, view, etc) because everything is on the top level instead of nested in folders. It makes things difficult to navigate especially because the menu takes the whole height of my screen instead of just adding a down arrow to scroll down the dropdown.

Which brings me to also add that it's inconvenient that menus stretch on top of the main bar. That behaviour makes it impossible to browse through the menus because they're hidden underneath the dropdown. You need to close the dropdown and click the next menu.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. set your vertical resolution to 768
2. click on Insert

Actual Results:  
Format, Styles, Table, Tools and Window is inaccessible until you close the drop down menu.

Expected Results:
The drop down should not be stretched vertically on top of the toolbar.


Reproducible: Always


User Profile Reset: No



Additional Info:


User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
Comment 1 V Stuart Foote 2017-12-15 23:27:14 UTC
Can not confirm on Windows 10 Ent 64-bit en-US with
Version: 6.0.0.0.beta1 (x64)
Build ID: 97471ab4eb4db4c487195658631696bb3238656c
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0; UI render: GL; 
Locale: en-US (en_US); Calc: group threaded

The Insert menu drops to 710px, and fits without issue into our minimum 768px height.

As designed and => WFM
Comment 2 Dieter 2017-12-16 08:47:01 UTC
For me not reproducible to, using 

Version: 5.4.3.2 (x64)
Build-ID: 92a7159f7e4af62137622921e809f8546db437e5
CPU-Threads: 4; Betriebssystem:Windows 6.19; UI-Render: Standard; 
Gebietsschema: it-IT (de_DE); Calc: group
Comment 3 Heiko Tietze 2017-12-16 09:49:08 UTC
We state in our guideline [1] that WXGA 1280x768px is the minimum required screen resolution. Tested myself with 1024x768 and in fact you have to scroll the last three entries for Insert (or more when you not hide the Windows task bar). The situation became worse lately as new items were added to the root level.

We will review the menus but what you can do is to modify the structure yourself: Tools > Options > Customize is your friend. Keep in mind that we have to configure for the everyone, and your environment and needs are quite special.

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/MenuBar
Comment 4 capri 2017-12-16 18:40:36 UTC
(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #3)
> what you can do is to modify the structure
> yourself: Tools > Options > Customize
> [1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/MenuBar

Cheers for that mate I didn't know of it!
Comment 5 Heiko Tietze 2017-12-16 20:38:12 UTC
(In reply to capri from comment #4)
> Cheers for that mate I didn't know of it!

Wait for the upcoming release where this customization has improved significantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64nVAIb7zs8
https://muhammetkara.com/post/2017-12-12-libreoffice-customize-dialog-status-update/
Comment 6 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2017-12-16 21:26:42 UTC
(In reply to capri from comment #0)
> I have a 768 vertical resolution and with the start menu, there is not
> enough space for the menus (File, edit, view, etc) because everything is on
> the top level instead of nested in folders. It makes things difficult to
> navigate especially because the menu takes the whole height of my screen
> instead of just adding a down arrow to scroll down the dropdown.

Each top level menu bar item's menu have multiple nested submenus in them, but yes even with these multiple nested submenus a menu can become to large for a 768 vertical resolution, resulting in a user having to scroll the open menu to reach the bottom items.

> Which brings me to also add that it's inconvenient that menus stretch on top
> of the main bar. That behaviour makes it impossible to browse through the
> menus because they're hidden underneath the dropdown. You need to close the
> dropdown and click the next menu.

Didnt follow what this meant. Can you provide a screenshot.

> Steps to Reproduce:
> 1. set your vertical resolution to 768
> 2. click on Insert
> 
> Actual Results:  
> Format, Styles, Table, Tools and Window is inaccessible until you close the
> drop down menu.

Wasnt able to reproduce this on my 768 vertical resolution windows 8.1 laptop.

> Expected Results:
> The drop down should not be stretched vertically on top of the toolbar.

Dont understand what this means. Do you mean that the expanded menu shouldnt cover the toolbars?

(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #3)
> We state in our guideline [1] that WXGA 1280x768px is the minimum required
> screen resolution. Tested myself with 1024x768 and in fact you have to
> scroll the last three entries for Insert (or more when you not hide the
> Windows task bar). The situation became worse lately as new items were added
> to the root level.

Yes with 5.4, you had to scroll the last 3 items in the Insert menu, but that was solved in 6.0 with the creation of the new Form top level menu, but then the Signature Line entry was added to the Insert menu this last week which has resulted in the same scroll appearing again.

The insert menu in writer will always be faced with this problem, especially as more insert functions get added and i dont see any means to group these unrelated insert functions into a single submenu, unless it called 'More Functions' or something like that.
Comment 7 capri 2017-12-17 05:17:15 UTC
the long awaited screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/nbKJ4

the native screenshot activity of Fedora doesnt catch the menu at all so i went with a good ole photograph. I also use night light. In retrospect itd be best if id deactivated it temporarily but you still get the jist of my complaint. drop down menu expands on top of the menu bar.
Comment 8 Maxim Monastirsky 2017-12-17 06:51:23 UTC
(In reply to capri from comment #7)
> the long awaited screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/nbKJ4
This shows Bug 113713.
Comment 9 Heiko Tietze 2017-12-17 08:37:52 UTC
(In reply to capri from comment #7)
> the long awaited screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/nbKJ4
> 
> the native screenshot activity of Fedora doesnt catch the menu at all so i
> went with a good ole photograph. I also use night light. In retrospect itd
> be best if id deactivated it temporarily but you still get the jist of my
> complaint. drop down menu expands on top of the menu bar.

The overflow behavior of menus is a system function which depends on your desktop environment. Gnome or rather gtk2/gtk3 and Qt as KDE are different as well as Windows and macOS. 

Taking Jay's "It's fixed in 6.0" as WFM. Thanks for reporting, I hope you accept our promise to keep an eye on low resolutions.
Comment 10 V Stuart Foote 2017-12-17 12:59:21 UTC
Fedora Gnome is native GTK3, so issue of OP and screen capture is NOB--dupe of bug 113713

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1380402

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 113713 ***