If in a document a part is selected which contains more than 1,000 paragraphs, the paragraph format data are not displayed correctly.
User Profile Reset: No
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/40.1
Created attachment 138936 [details]
Demo 1,000 paragraphs limitation
I discovered this problem when I tried to remove horizontal lines from larger documents.
In some cases these lines are not easy to remove. The procedure which normally works is:
- Select the complete text.
- Change in Format > Paragraph the setting for Borders to No border, with activated 'Merge with next paragraph'.
The attached demo doc contains such a horizontal line at the end of the doc, which cannot be removed e.g. by 'Clear direct formatting'. However, the procedure described above doesn't work in this case. When the complete text is selected, the option 'Merge with next paragraph' is displayed as 'indefinite' (with a small square in the box).
This seems to be the main indicator for the existing limitation problem. In the demo file this can be analyzed as follows:
- There are paragraph numbers in the doc. At the end of the 1,000th paragraph 'xxx' is inserted to easily find this place.
- Select the first 1,000 paragraphs (ending with 'xxx'). The option 'Merge with next paragraph' is indicated correctly as activated.
- Select the first 1,001 paragraphs. 'Merge with next paragraph' is indicated as indefinite.
(In the demo doc the horizontal line can be removed in two steps, by selecting the first 1,000 paragraphs in the first step and the remaining part of the doc in the second step, and changing Borders to No border in each step.)
So there seems to be a (not documented?) limitation of 1,000 paragraphs for selecting text, in the sense that the paragraph format data are not displayed correctly (and not accessible for changes) for selections of more than 1,000 paragraphs.
A similar observations is described in https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=59070. My report refers explicitely to the 1,000 paragraphs limitation.
LibO 5.4.1 was an early release not intended for production.
I strongly suggest to upgrade to latest 5.4.4 release which is a more mature version and fixes hundreds of bug in respect to 5.4.1
so, please upgrade and retest.
I did notice the same thing and filed a bug report (bug 112995) , but I wasn't ware of the cause :-).
Another similar / same bug is bug 112800
Ok. status NEW.
If you think that some of these reports are duplicates label them accordingly.
Same observationn in LO 5.4.3.
OK, there are several reports referring to the effects of this bug/limitation, but not all point out the cause, i.e. the 1,000 paragraphs limitation.
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=112800 seems to be the best report until now. But my attached file demonstrates the problem maybe more accurately.
** Please read this message in its entirety before responding **
To make sure we're focusing on the bugs that affect our users today, LibreOffice QA is asking bug reporters and confirmers to retest open, confirmed bugs which have not been touched for over a year.
There have been thousands of bug fixes and commits since anyone checked on this bug report. During that time, it's possible that the bug has been fixed, or the details of the problem have changed. We'd really appreciate your help in getting confirmation that the bug is still present.
If you have time, please do the following:
Test to see if the bug is still present with the latest version of LibreOffice from https://www.libreoffice.org/download/
If the bug is present, please leave a comment that includes the information from Help - About LibreOffice.
If the bug is NOT present, please set the bug's Status field to RESOLVED-WORKSFORME and leave a comment that includes the information from Help - About LibreOffice.
Please DO NOT
Update the version field
Reply via email (please reply directly on the bug tracker)
Set the bug's Status field to RESOLVED - FIXED (this status has a particular meaning that is not
appropriate in this case)
If you want to do more to help you can test to see if your issue is a REGRESSION. To do so:
1. Download and install oldest version of LibreOffice (usually 3.3 unless your bug pertains to a feature added after 3.3) from http://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/
2. Test your bug
3. Leave a comment with your results.
4a. If the bug was present with 3.3 - set version to 'inherited from OOo';
4b. If the bug was not present in 3.3 - add 'regression' to keyword
Feel free to come ask questions or to say hello in our QA chat: https://kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.freenode.net/#libreoffice-qa
Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!
I expect this to be solved with 6.4
Version: 188.8.131.52 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: fe0b08f4af1bacafe4c7ecc87ce55bb426164676
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19042; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: de-DE (de_DE); UI: en-GB