Created attachment 144919 [details]
calc menubar sheet / tools / edit update
The main idea was that the Sheet menubar in calc look complete different from the table menubar in writer.
So this is an proposal to make calc sheet menubar entry more similar to writer table entry
calc menubar sheet
first group in calc sheet menubar look similar to table menubar in writer
- benefit similar layout and additional options for select and size
- as in 6.1 there are subgroups no additional click is needed.
- merge and split cells are added as it is in writer
- section is the same
- are moved to edit menu as it is in writer
Navigate submenu wasn't needed cause there are only two entries
Share Spreadsheet moved from tools to sheet cause it's about sheet
calc menubar tools
- cell protection was added to the protect subgroup.
- Share spreadsheet was moved to sheet.
calc menubar edit
- cell comments moved from sheets to edit so it's the same place for comments than in writer
- cell edit mode was moved to bottom to edit mode.
- cell proctection moved to the global protection subgroup in tools
It's not a bug, it's an enhancement request.
Best regards. JBF
(In reply to andreas_k from comment #0)
> The main idea was that the Sheet menubar in calc look complete different
> from the table menubar in writer.
"Completely different" is an aggrandizement but the argument is true. However, it's not a strong reason for a change and balancing it with the hassle of learning a new menu I don't know what to prefer. We could ask the community.
(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #2)
> "Completely different" is an aggrandizement but the argument is true.
> However, it's not a strong reason for a change and balancing it with the
> hassle of learning a new menu I don't know what to prefer. We could ask the
any feedback from someone else?
and feedback about sheet menubar item in calc? should it be align with writer table menubar or is it ok that it is separate.
For god's sake, I'm in favor of most of the changes Andreas has mentioned.
But some open questions and "caveats" regarding the Sheet menu:
- The new "Inser/Delete/Select/Size" sub-menus must not have sub-sub-items! Please only a single sub-menu structure - not more. Therefore the "Insert" sub-menu items should be:
* Insert rows above
* Insert rows below
* Insert columns before
* Insert columns after
- "Insert Page Break" and "Delete Page Break" should be not an item in the "Insert" sub-menu as page break is a completely different command to cells.
- Why has "Insert Cells" a place in the main menu but "Delete Cells" dosn't? Either both of these two commands are in the main menu or both are in their corresponding sub-menus for insert and delete.
- I'm not sure if it's a good idea to have cell-realted commands in sub-menus and the sheet-related commands (e.g. insert/delete sheet) in the main sheet menu. The today's systematics is more obvious for usual users "at a first glance" without thinking about it. The fewer commands are hidden in sub-menus the better. So, I'm thinking about let the Insert/delete commands in the main Sheet menu instead of sub-menus that Andreas suggested.
- What's part of the "Size" sub-menu?
Regarding Edit menu:
- The "Selection" sub-menu should stay or be duplicated in the Edit menu as other selection commands are there too.
- I'm in favor of moving the protection commands from the Tools menu to the Edit menu instead of the other way round. Editing commands should stay in edit. Tools menu is for seldom used, weird and enhanced features.
Regarding Tools menu:
- "Share spreadsheet" must remain in Tools menu as it's about spreadsheet and NOT sheet as it's name also indicates.
Pooh, nevertheless many objections.