Download it now!
Bug 123809 - All Bibliography citations now appear in text with "[ n" added
Summary: All Bibliography citations now appear in text with "[ n" added
Status: RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 124485
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
6.2.0.3 release
Hardware: x86-64 (AMD64) Mac OS X (All)
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: Bibliography
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2019-03-02 21:37 UTC by kevvy.log.ins
Modified: 2019-04-02 09:53 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description kevvy.log.ins 2019-03-02 21:37:37 UTC
Description:
Today, I opened a document in Writer that I've been using every day. I added an entry to the Bibliography Database, then in the document used Insert > Table of Contents and Index > Bibliography Entry...

Upon insertion, the entry adds a preceding "[" and a trailing "n" to the text, for example: [citationn

Furthermore, this is now how all Biblography Entries appear in my document, and these erroneous characters also appear when rendered to PDF.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Add a Bibliography Entry
2.
3.

Actual Results:
Upon insertion, the entry adds a preceding "[" and a trailing "n" to the text, for example: [citationn

Furthermore, this is now how all Biblography Entries appear in my document, and these erroneous characters also appear when rendered to PDF.

Expected Results:
The citation should appear as citation, with no additional characters.


Reproducible: Always


User Profile Reset: No



Additional Info:
Comment 1 kevvy.log.ins 2019-03-05 19:02:57 UTC
The erroneous behavior persists after a User Profile Reset, as well.
Comment 2 Alex Thurgood 2019-03-12 09:19:44 UTC
@kevvy : please indicate whether you are using the built-in bibliography database (which is a DBF database file) or you have created and registered your own bibliography database instead.

If the latter, please provide more details on the type of db, driver connection and version, etc.

Setting NEEDINFO
Comment 3 kevvy.log.ins 2019-03-12 21:07:50 UTC
(In reply to Alex Thurgood from comment #2)
> @kevvy : please indicate whether you are using the built-in bibliography
> database (which is a DBF database file) or you have created and registered
> your own bibliography database instead.
> 
> If the latter, please provide more details on the type of db, driver
> connection and version, etc.
> 
> Setting NEEDINFO

Hi Alex, thanks for the follow-up. This is using the built-in bibliography database.
Comment 4 Xisco Faulí 2019-03-21 10:21:06 UTC
Hello,
LibreOffice 6.2.2.2 is going to be released today, could you please try again with this version to see if the problem has been resolved meanwhile? Thanks in advance
Comment 5 kevvy.log.ins 2019-03-24 20:36:36 UTC
(In reply to Xisco Faulí from comment #4)
> Hello,
> LibreOffice 6.2.2.2 is going to be released today, could you please try
> again with this version to see if the problem has been resolved meanwhile?
> Thanks in advance

Actually, after persisting for about 3 weeks, the problem spontaneously fixed itself a few days ago. Of course, I'm sure it wasn't really spontaneous, but all I can say that might be helpful is that I noticed that it was suddenly correct after attempts to find a workaround for another possible bug (which I don't intend to pseudo-file via these comments, but just describe for reference because I'm not sure if this caused it to fix itself, or if I only happened to notice the fix after doing this): After adding a new entry in the built-in Bibliography Database, I realized that I had forgotten to include a word in one of the fields (I had written "Goldsmiths" instead of "Goldsmiths College"). I re-opened the database editor, appended " College" to the field, and closed the database. I removed the reference from the text and re-added it, did an Update All, but found that the field did not appear as updated in my bibliography section. I opened the database again, and saw that the change that I made previously was not present: " College" was missing. I deleted the entire field, closed and re-opened the editor, and found the field still empty. I re-typed "Goldsmiths College", removed and re-added the bibliography entry in my document, and did an Update All. This time, "Goldsmiths College" correctly appeared in my document's bibliography. At this time, I noticed that all the previously erroneous references were displaying correctly in the text as well.
Comment 6 kevvy.log.ins 2019-03-25 00:09:17 UTC
(In reply to kevvy.log.ins from comment #5)

And now the problem returned again, while using 6.2.2.2 on latest macOS!

But now I've narrowed down what's happening:

The error alternatively appears or disappears every time I right-click on the auto-generated bibliography section in my document, choose Edit Index, and then simply click the Ok button (no actual changes need to be made). Repeatable every time.
Comment 7 Alex Thurgood 2019-04-01 14:41:12 UTC
@kevvy : this has just been reported on the German user mailing list. Hopefully, someone from there can come along and confirm the bug. Seems that it isn't just limited to Mac.
Comment 8 Harald Koester 2019-04-01 20:52:02 UTC
Meanwhile a new bug report has been filed with the bug of the German user mailing list: Bug 124485.
Comment 9 Dieter Praas 2019-04-02 09:53:04 UTC

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 124485 ***