Download it now!
Bug 127173 - REDACTION: Editing document with freehand redaction tool leaves area of light blue color
Summary: REDACTION: Editing document with freehand redaction tool leaves area of light...
Status: NEEDINFO
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
6.3.0.0.alpha0+
Hardware: All All
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: Redaction
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2019-08-26 20:39 UTC by Marco Marega
Modified: 2020-06-29 20:24 UTC (History)
4 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
odg file with shape colored in blue light while editing with freehand redaction tool (198.42 KB, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.graphics)
2019-08-26 20:41 UTC, Marco Marega
Details
final pdf after using the freehand redaction tool (106.48 KB, application/pdf)
2019-08-26 20:42 UTC, Marco Marega
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Marco Marega 2019-08-26 20:39:40 UTC
Description:
When you redact a document using the free hand tool if you close the line, it transforms into a shape and the area inside is colored in light blue.
When you create the pdf it remains in blue light instead of black (or white depending on you choice).

Steps to Reproduce:
1. editing a document in Writer choose Tools -> Redact and it takes you to Draw
2. choose the Freehand icon from the Redaction Toolbar
3. draw a line of the shape you want and stop to draw at the same point you started

Actual Results:
the line becomes a shape with the area filled in light blue

Expected Results:
the area inside the shape should be gray as the line while you are editing the document and should become black or white when you create the final pdf.


Reproducible: Always


User Profile Reset: No



Additional Info:
Comment 1 Marco Marega 2019-08-26 20:41:57 UTC
Created attachment 153673 [details]
odg file with shape colored in blue light while editing with freehand redaction tool
Comment 2 Marco Marega 2019-08-26 20:42:52 UTC
Created attachment 153674 [details]
final pdf after using the freehand redaction tool
Comment 3 Dieter 2019-09-01 06:14:42 UTC
(In reply to Marco Marega from comment #0)
> Expected Results:
> the area inside the shape should be gray as the line while you are editing
> the document and should become black or white when you create the final pdf.

Normal PDF export only exports the preview. Please use Redacted Export button in Redacted Toolbar

=> RESOLVED WORKSFORME

Please change it back to UNCONFIRMED, if you don't agree and give a short reasoning.
Comment 4 Marco Marega 2019-09-01 10:15:33 UTC
Please verify the pdf I attached to my report.

It is generated with Redacted Export button in Redacted Toolbar, not with direct PDF export, and it is not the preview.
As you can see the lines of the edges are full black and not transparent gray as is in previews.

The issue happens just if you draw a free hand line and you close the path creating a form (eg. a circle).

If you draw a free hand line, of any form and you don't close it's path, everything works fine.
Instead if you end to draw the line at the same point you started it,  the program treats it as a form and not as a line.

When you are in Draw, if you observe the properties of the object, when it is just a line, you have the line color set to gray with transparency at 50% and no area settings.
When you close the line it activates the area setting with default Draw values: light blue color and no transparency, the line on the edges of the form keeps on working fine, but the inside is wrong.

When you create the preview with the direct PDF export you get the form with edges in transparent gray (correct) and fill in plain light blue color (wrong).
If you create the redacted document with Redacted Export button, depending on your choice, you get the form with edges in plain black (correct) or plain white (correct), but the fill color is still plain light blue color (wrong).
Comment 5 Dieter 2019-09-01 11:32:56 UTC
I confirm you oberservation. But I'm not sure about the bug:
a)Redaction shouldn't create a filled area
b)Filled area should also be redacted

cc: Muhammet, what do you think about it. Or does everything work as intended?
Comment 6 Marco Marega 2019-09-06 11:54:57 UTC
I think it should redact also the filled area.
Comment 7 Muhammet Kara 2020-06-29 20:20:55 UTC
(In reply to Dieter from comment #5)
> I confirm you oberservation. But I'm not sure about the bug:
> a)Redaction shouldn't create a filled area
> b)Filled area should also be redacted
> 
> cc: Muhammet, what do you think about it. Or does everything work as
> intended?

The tool and the feature works as designed & expected. The free-form redaction tool is intended to be used like a "redaction pen" like in real life, and not intended for drawing auto-filled empty shapes.

And couldn't repro the fill effect on a clean profile on master. The blue filling is likely to be coming from user preferences.

So in short, I think this behavior is an exploitation of the free-form redaction tool, thus needs to be prevented. I would go with a slightly modified version of option a:

a) Free-form redaction tool shouldn't turn to shape with area, or at least shouldn't create a filled area.

(In reply to Marco Marega from comment #6)
> I think it should redact also the filled area.

I think that area shouldn't exist in the first place.
Comment 8 Muhammet Kara 2020-06-29 20:24:30 UTC
(In reply to Muhammet Kara from comment #7)
> (In reply to Dieter from comment #5)
> > I confirm you oberservation. But I'm not sure about the bug:
> > a)Redaction shouldn't create a filled area
> > b)Filled area should also be redacted
> > 
> > cc: Muhammet, what do you think about it. Or does everything work as
> > intended?
> 
> The tool and the feature works as designed & expected. The free-form
> redaction tool is intended to be used like a "redaction pen" like in real
> life, and not intended for drawing auto-filled empty shapes.
> 
> And couldn't repro the fill effect on a clean profile on master. The blue
> filling is likely to be coming from user preferences.
> 
> So in short, I think this behavior is an exploitation of the free-form
> redaction tool, thus needs to be prevented. I would go with a slightly
> modified version of option a:
> 
> a) Free-form redaction tool shouldn't turn to shape with area, or at least
> shouldn't create a filled area.
> 
> (In reply to Marco Marega from comment #6)
> > I think it should redact also the filled area.
> 
> I think that area shouldn't exist in the first place.

But, first could you please confirm that this can be reproduced anew without using the shared document, and without manually selecting an area fill?

If a user selects the created redaction shape, and manually alters its properties, there is nothing we can do about it. And that is not a bug.