Bug 135876 - Font color is explicitly set in paragraph style, but gets overwritten by direct formatting on drag and drop
Summary: Font color is explicitly set in paragraph style, but gets overwritten by dire...
Status: RESOLVED NOTABUG
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
7.1.0.0.alpha0+
Hardware: All All
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords: needsUXEval
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2020-08-18 11:23 UTC by Telesto
Modified: 2020-09-07 15:03 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:
Regression By:


Attachments
Example file (11.07 KB, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text)
2020-08-18 11:24 UTC, Telesto
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Telesto 2020-08-18 11:23:31 UTC
Description:
Font color is explicitly set in paragraph style, but gets overwritten by direct formatting on drag and drop

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Ope the attached file
2. Select the first sentence on the page
3. Notice the page style being hello
4. Open Sidebar -> Right click Hello -> Modify -> Font Effects tab -> Notice black is explicitly set 
5. Press cancel
6. Drag it after "Lightning" (red)

-> Note: I did report something similar before (different setting, but same result)

Actual Results:
Text will become red

Expected Results:
Should not be affected I think


Reproducible: Always


User Profile Reset: No



Additional Info:
Version: 7.1.0.0.alpha0+ (x64)
Build ID: <buildversion>
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 6.3 Build 9600; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: nl-NL (nl_NL); UI: en-US
Calc: CL
Comment 1 Telesto 2020-08-18 11:24:21 UTC
Created attachment 164406 [details]
Example file
Comment 2 Mike Kaganski 2020-08-18 11:43:14 UTC
(In reply to Telesto from comment #0)
> Steps to Reproduce:
> 3. Notice the page style being hello

Likely a typo, and paragraph style was meant

> 4. Open Sidebar -> Right click Hello -> Modify -> Font Effects tab -> Notice
> black is explicitly set 

Wrong. What is set is clear on Organizer tab's "Contains", and also in the new Styles Inspector (experimental in master). The style does not contain text color, only text background color.
> Actual Results:
> Text will become red
> 
> Expected Results:
> Should not be affected I think

Direct formatting always takes precedence over the styles. So even if the "hello" paragraph style did itself define a text color (while currently it's defined in Default Paragraph Style level), it wouldn't change the fact that direct formatting should override it - *if* direct formatting is applied. However, the question is if dragging text into a text span should apply the span's formatting, not create a new span without it. Maybe a UX question, or even a bug...
Comment 3 Telesto 2020-08-18 11:50:38 UTC
(In reply to Mike Kaganski from comment #2)
> (In reply to Telesto from comment #0)
> > Steps to Reproduce:
> > 3. Notice the page style being hello
> 
> Likely a typo, and paragraph style was meant
> 
> > 4. Open Sidebar -> Right click Hello -> Modify -> Font Effects tab -> Notice
> > black is explicitly set 
> 
> Wrong. What is set is clear on Organizer tab's "Contains", and also in the
> new Styles Inspector (experimental in master). The style does not contain
> text color, only text background color.

Technically correct. I set it at Default Page Style level; and Hello Inherits it (if I understand this correctly). 

They Hello Paragraph Style  -> Modify -> Font Effects tab -> shows black being set. Which is by it self some kind of dubious. As it should say Black, "Inherited". As you can't see the difference between actually defined black font color and inherited font color. Ideally including at which level the color is really defined :-). This is of course not limited to 'font color' but actually all those style settings
Comment 4 Telesto 2020-08-18 11:52:21 UTC
> Direct formatting always takes precedence over the styles. So even if the
> "hello" paragraph style did itself define a text color (while currently it's
> defined in Default Paragraph Style level), it wouldn't change the fact that
> direct formatting should override it - *if* direct formatting is applied.
> However, the question is if dragging text into a text span should apply the
> span's formatting, not create a new span without it. Maybe a UX question, or
> even a bug...

I assume this being answered by bug 105352.. but adding UX simply to be sure
Comment 5 Mike Kaganski 2020-08-18 12:27:04 UTC
(In reply to Telesto from comment #3)

Bug 88559
Comment 6 Heiko Tietze 2020-09-07 15:03:48 UTC
(In reply to Telesto from comment #4)
> Direct formatting always takes precedence over the styles. 

=> NAB

> Maybe a UX question, or even a bug...

Haven't read through the all the issues but there is likely a duplicate to any request.