Bug 138128 - [rfe]: Add "Modified Styles" category in Styles deck in Sidebar
Summary: [rfe]: Add "Modified Styles" category in Styles deck in Sidebar
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
7.1.0.0.alpha0+
Hardware: All All
: medium enhancement
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: Sidebar-Styles-Improvements
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2020-11-11 09:49 UTC by sdc.blanco
Modified: 2020-11-19 16:43 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:
Regression By:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description sdc.blanco 2020-11-11 09:49:57 UTC
Inspired by last paragraph of: https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=130719#c31

1. Open Styles in sidebar  (View - Styles)
2. Dropdown box at bottom  gives possibility to select different categories of Styles to be shown (e.g., Hierachical, Applied, Custom Styles)

Enhancement request:

Add a "Modified Styles" category.

Two reasons:

1.  Easy way to see what has been modified relative to a template.

2.  When used in combination with "Applied" Styles, should be possible to know exactly what styles would be loaded when Style - Load Styles - Overwrite is used.
Comment 1 Thomas Lendo 2020-11-11 22:22:26 UTC
Nice idea and easy for default LibreOffice styles. But how could this work with styles from a template or imported/loaded styles?
Comment 2 Roman Kuznetsov 2020-11-11 22:27:12 UTC
(In reply to Thomas Lendo from comment #1)
> Nice idea and easy for default LibreOffice styles. But how could this work
> with styles from a template or imported/loaded styles?

I don't think it's a nice idea. It will useless feature (for me). Work with only used styles is useful (i mean one from current filters). Why I'll want see modified styles? I don't care about it. If I modified a style then I just see a result in the document
Comment 3 Heiko Tietze 2020-11-12 07:59:46 UTC
In what situation do you need to select a modified styles that is not easy to find under used styles? What makes a style modified? Consider loading from templates, loading styles with the document, hierarchical dependency etc.

Maybe it's easier to turn the request around and "clear all modification" (see bug 128960 or bug 101965).
Comment 4 Mike Kaganski 2020-11-12 08:02:28 UTC
I would rather call them "document styles" vs "gallery of style presets available to be inserted into the document"...

but it all is rather obscure...
Comment 5 sdc.blanco 2020-11-12 17:35:17 UTC
(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #3)
> In what situation do you need to select a modified styles that is not easy
> to find under used styles? 
Does "used styles" = "applied styles"?

2 situations.  
  a. to find styles that have been modified, but not necessarily applied
  b. to find out what styles are likely to be loaded from a document (or template).

> What makes a style modified? 
I would understand "modified" to mean that I used "Format - Edit Style" or "context menu in Side bar - Modify" to make a change in a style (either in a document or in a template that I made). 

But there are deeper considerations, which I will leave to Mike K. (-:
(e.g, "it all is rather obscure...")

> Maybe it's easier to turn the request around and "clear all modification"
> (see bug 128960 or bug 101965).
No.  This will defeat 2b, which is the main value of this proposed capability.
Comment 6 Heiko Tietze 2020-11-19 13:40:41 UTC
(In reply to sdc.blanco from comment #5)
> Does "used styles" = "applied styles"?
Yes, sorry for not being precise.
 
> 2 situations.  
>   a. to find styles that have been modified, but not necessarily applied
Sure but I still have a hard time to imagine the workflow where I work for a couple of hours on styles and eventually forget to use them (nor save the document). Maybe in Alzheimer mode... :-)

>   b. to find out what styles are likely to be loaded from a document (or
> template).
There is no difference when the document is loaded, IMHO. That's why I asked what a style makes "modified". After saving it becomes carved in stone for this document.

> But there are deeper considerations, which I will leave to Mike K. (-:
> (e.g, "it all is rather obscure...")

Let's have him the famous last word => please resolve WF.
Comment 7 Mike Kaganski 2020-11-19 13:45:14 UTC
(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #6)
> (In reply to sdc.blanco from comment #5)
> > 2 situations.  
> >   a. to find styles that have been modified, but not necessarily applied
> Sure but I still have a hard time to imagine the workflow where I work for a
> couple of hours on styles and eventually forget to use them (nor save the
> document). Maybe in Alzheimer mode... :-)

It's a *very* important use case: you are preparing a *template* with pre=created styles.
Comment 8 sdc.blanco 2020-11-19 14:04:28 UTC
(In reply to Mike Kaganski from comment #7)
> It's a *very* important use case: you are preparing a *template* with
> pre=created styles.
+1  

(with many styles loaded into sidebar, and no "Modified Styles", no easy way to know what will be saved in the template, unless you were keeping notes about what was modified.)

( About likelihood of keeping notes -- see "Alzheimer's mode" in comment 6 (-: )
Comment 9 Heiko Tietze 2020-11-19 16:43:43 UTC
Still don't see the need but another filter option also wont hurt. So go ahead with this.