1) lsb_release -rd
Description: Ubuntu 11.10
2) apt-cache policy libreoffice-writer
*** 1:3.4.4-0ubuntu1 0
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/main i386 Packages
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric/main i386 Packages
LibreOffice Writer 3.4.5 OOO340m1 (Build:502)
3) What is expected to happen in LibreOffice Writer via the Terminal:
cd ~/Desktop && wget -c https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/923176/+attachment/2700678/+files/Untitled%201.odt -O example.odt && lowriter -nologo example.odt
place the mouse cursor over the footnote link and the tooltip honors the footnote formatting.
4) What happens instead is the formatting is not honored. A screenshot of this may be found at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice/+bug/923176/+attachment/2699118/+files/footnotebug.png .
+ as per http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport_Details#Version
Version -> 3.4.4
+ as per downstream comment #5:
"...Microsoft Office Word 2003 (11.5604.6505) does not honor the Footnote Tooltip formatting either..."
Importance -> lowest enhancement
+ Reproducible in:
Build ID: e371a95-bf68a13-5a1aa2b-d3c1ae9-b938258
Microsoft Windows Vista Business 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
Platform -> x86 (IA32) All
Still reproducible with LO 126.96.36.199 (Win 8.1)
1. Open WRITER
2. Go to INSERT -> FOOTNOTE/ENDNOTE... and press OK
3. Change the font of the footnote (the footnote text itself at the bottom)
4. Go with the mouse cursor to the footnote number (not the one at the bottom, but the one in the main text)
Result: The footnote tooltip is showing the footnote text, but not with the new changed font.
I don't understand, why tooltip text should honour formatting. Design team: please weigh in on this. Seems like WONTFIX material.
Tooltips should remain under control of the OS/DE but I wonder if there is benefit from introducing a special styled tip. What's your use case, Satchit?