Bug 46718 - UI: Delete multiple styles at once
Summary: UI: Delete multiple styles at once
Status: VERIFIED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
unspecified
Hardware: All All
: medium enhancement
Assignee: Jorendc
QA Contact:
URL:
Whiteboard: target:4.1.0
Keywords: difficultyBeginner, easyHack, skillCpp, topicCleanup
: 59449 (view as bug list)
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2012-02-28 03:58 UTC by Jens Reimann
Modified: 2015-12-15 23:56 UTC (History)
6 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Jens Reimann 2012-02-28 03:58:44 UTC
Allow the user to delete multiple styles at once.

At the moment you need to select one style at a time and confirm its deletion. It would be rather nice to select multiple styles at once and delete them in one step. Especially when you have a migrated word document that contains hundreds of styles like "WW8Num23z3".
Comment 1 miker169 2012-04-27 10:22:00 UTC
I agree this would be a good enhancement. Also perhaps a "cleanup" button at the top of the "Styles and Formatting" pane (shown when pressing F11).

In the meantime there is a reasonable workaround here: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=42571
Comment 2 Jens Reimann 2012-07-10 07:38:44 UTC
Hi everyone. I need this bug/feature so much that I'm willing to pay 5.00 bucks for it.
This offer is registered at FreedomSponsors (http://www.freedomsponsors.com/core/issue/6/ui-delete-multiple-styles-at-once).
Once you solve it (according to the acceptance criteria described there), just create a FreedomSponsors account and mark it as resolved (oh, you'll need a Paypal account too)
I'll then check it out and will gladly pay up!

If anyone else would like to throw in a few bucks to elevate the priority on this issue, you should check out FreedomSponsors!
Comment 3 Michael Meeks 2012-09-18 10:43:26 UTC
This should be reasonably easy (I hope). The list widget there should already support multi-selection; I would be inclined to poke at:

sfx2/source/dialog/styledlg.cxx

To see what can be done. I imagine we would need to make the 'New style from selection' button etc. insensitive when there is a multi-selection, but I suspect it's not that tough :-)
Comment 4 Jorendc 2013-01-16 16:45:34 UTC
*** Bug 59449 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 5 Rushi 2013-01-18 04:17:16 UTC
(In reply to comment #4)
> *** Bug 59449 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Sorry Joren , I dn't know you too were working on this bug . Actually , I should have put my name in the assigned to box . But now I have . Please update it if you solve it further . 

Regards ,
Rushi
Comment 6 Jorendc 2013-01-18 20:32:26 UTC
(In reply to comment #5)
> (In reply to comment #4)
> > *** Bug 59449 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
> 
> Sorry Joren , I dn't know you too were working on this bug . Actually , I
> should have put my name in the assigned to box . But now I have . Please
> update it if you solve it further . 
> 
> Regards ,
> Rushi

No problem :-). The chance 2 devs are working on the same feature-request that is reported almost a year ago is 0.00001% I think :-). I don't want to be rude at all, but I think my commit is a bit more complete, because I disabled the watercan also + the user has the option to select one by one to delete it or not and has the option to check a checkbox that'll make it possible to delete them all at once (and don't ask it every time).
I'm not saying my commit is 'better', but maybe you can improve my commit when it's reviewed? I think it's better to work together then to make a competition out of it (we both lose from that), so why not working together :-). I think this is a wonderful feature to add in LibreOffice.
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/1737/

Kind regards,
Joren
Comment 7 Rushi 2013-01-19 11:30:38 UTC
(In reply to comment #6)

I totally agree with you Joren :-) . 
> (In reply to comment #5)
> > (In reply to comment #4)
> > > *** Bug 59449 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
> > 
> > Sorry Joren , I dn't know you too were working on this bug . Actually , I
> > should have put my name in the assigned to box . But now I have . Please
> > update it if you solve it further . 
> > 
> > Regards ,
> > Rushi
> 
> No problem :-). The chance 2 devs are working on the same feature-request
> that is reported almost a year ago is 0.00001% I think :-). I don't want to
> be rude at all, but I think my commit is a bit more complete, because I
> disabled the watercan also + the user has the option to select one by one to
> delete it or not and has the option to check a checkbox that'll make it
> possible to delete them all at once (and don't ask it every time).
> I'm not saying my commit is 'better', but maybe you can improve my commit
> when it's reviewed? I think it's better to work together then to make a
> competition out of it (we both lose from that), so why not working together
> :-). I think this is a wonderful feature to add in LibreOffice.
> https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/1737/
> 
> Kind regards,
> Joren
Comment 8 Not Assigned 2013-01-24 10:59:27 UTC
Joren De Cuyper committed a patch related to this issue.
It has been pushed to "master":

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=439ac45925039aa7a537feedab3e731e8a60a8e5

fdo#46718 Delete multiple styles at once



The patch should be included in the daily builds available at
http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/ in the next 24-48 hours. More
information about daily builds can be found at:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Testing_Daily_Builds
Affected users are encouraged to test the fix and report feedback.
Comment 9 Samuel Mehrbrodt (CIB) 2013-02-07 10:48:10 UTC
First, thanks for fixing this.

I have one enhancement request: When I delete multiple styles, I get a security question for each of the styles I selected.

Better would be _one_ question like this: Do you want to delete the selected Style(s)?

It should be Styles _or_ Style depending on whether one ore more are selected.
Comment 10 Samuel Mehrbrodt (CIB) 2013-02-07 10:56:49 UTC
BTW, Joren, you get $10 for fixing this: http://www.freedomsponsors.org/core/issue/6/ui-delete-multiple-styles-at-once

Just claim that you fixed it there and the Sponsors will be notified to send the payments.
Comment 11 Jorendc 2013-02-07 11:20:22 UTC
(In reply to comment #9)
> It should be Styles _or_ Style depending on whether one ore more are
> selected.

I made it in following way: you can multiple select styles and off course can delete them by pressing the 'delete' button or right click > delete. Then indeed a message will pop up. On the bottom of the message is a checkbox. If you want to delete it style by style (because if you're not sure) you just don't check the checkbox. If you are sure you want to delete them all, you check the checkbox and normally there would be no more message (= delete all styles at once).

Do you agree with this? (no checkbox -> delete style by style; checkbox -> delete them all right away).

PS: I need to alter the checkbox-text a bit. I'm aware of that.

(In reply to comment #10)
> BTW, Joren, you get $10 for fixing this:
> http://www.freedomsponsors.org/core/issue/6/ui-delete-multiple-styles-at-once
> 
> Just claim that you fixed it there and the Sponsors will be notified to send
> the payments.

I _REALLY_ appreciate that; but is it possible to donate it to The Document Foundation :-)? I do this to make LibreOffice a better product, not to earn money. If that isn't possible anymore (you can't withdraw your promised payment there) I'll indeed claim it and set it in my turn to The Document Foundation ;-).
Thanks for that!

Kind regards,
Joren
Comment 12 Samuel Mehrbrodt (CIB) 2013-02-07 11:34:11 UTC
(In reply to comment #11)

> Do you agree with this? (no checkbox -> delete style by style; checkbox ->
> delete them all right away).
> 
> PS: I need to alter the checkbox-text a bit. I'm aware of that.

Well, I've posted this issue on the UX-Advise list. Let's see what they say.

> I _REALLY_ appreciate that; but is it possible to donate it to The Document
> Foundation :-)? I do this to make LibreOffice a better product, not to earn
> money. If that isn't possible anymore (you can't withdraw your promised
> payment there) I'll indeed claim it and set it in my turn to The Document
> Foundation ;-).
> Thanks for that!

I think you need to claim it, get the money and then you can still donate it :)
Read here how it works: http://blog.freedomsponsors.org/about/
I think those guys will happily send you the money for fixing it.
Comment 13 Jens Reimann 2013-02-07 14:18:08 UTC
I made the payment from freedom sponsors. Thanks for the feature! Glad to see that system worked! So either buy yourself a beer/coke or donate it to LibreOffice and you will get a beer/coke when you come to Munich one day ;-)
Comment 14 Jorendc 2013-02-07 21:53:28 UTC
Because Samuel can verify this feature works, I mark this as VERIFIED
Comment 15 Commit Notification 2013-03-11 09:20:50 UTC
Joren De Cuyper committed a patch related to this issue.
It has been pushed to "master":

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=31d1748d6db7ca4da6302f3b09d2586ee2192d05

Minor improvements and UX-advice related to fdo#46718 delete multi style



The patch should be included in the daily builds available at
http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/ in the next 24-48 hours. More
information about daily builds can be found at:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Testing_Daily_Builds
Affected users are encouraged to test the fix and report feedback.
Comment 16 Robinson Tryon (qubit) 2015-12-15 23:56:10 UTC
Migrating Whiteboard tags to Keywords: (EasyHack,DifficultyBeginner,SkillCpp,TopicCleanup)
[NinjaEdit]