Bug 52122 - CONFIGURATION: Crash when selecting "MediaWiki" tab on options menu with old profile (javasettings_Windows_x86.xml related)
Summary: CONFIGURATION: Crash when selecting "MediaWiki" tab on options menu with old ...
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: UI (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
3.5.5.3 release
Hardware: Other All
: high normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard: BSA
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2012-07-15 15:13 UTC by Chris Cunningham
Modified: 2012-12-12 21:19 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
Crash dialogue, showing the highlighted option (29.42 KB, image/png)
2012-07-15 15:13 UTC, Chris Cunningham
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Chris Cunningham 2012-07-15 15:13:05 UTC
Created attachment 64240 [details]
Crash dialogue, showing the highlighted option

Problem description: 

Steps to reproduce:
1. Go to Tools -> Options in the menu bar
2. Click on the expander next to Internet
3. Click on the MediaWiki option in the tree

Current behavior:

Crash

Expected behavior:

MediaWiki options panel

Platform (if different from the browser): 
              
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:13.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/13.0.1
Comment 1 Julien Nabet 2012-07-15 19:56:17 UTC
A dup of fdo#51992 ?
Could you take a look to this:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=51992
Comment 2 Chris Cunningham 2012-07-16 05:30:18 UTC
Not a duplicate. Options panel opens and runs normally except that panel, and online update is enabled.
Comment 3 Julien Nabet 2012-07-16 05:59:32 UTC
Ok, just to be sure it's not another bug problem linked to LO profile, could you try with a brand new LO profile (see http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/UserProfile) ?
Comment 4 Chris Cunningham 2012-07-16 07:14:39 UTC
This is an upgrade crasher: it doesn't happen with a new profile. Tracked the problem down to config/javasettings_Windows_x86.xml - the config line is:

<vendorData>660069006C0065003A002F002F002F0043003A002F00500072006F006700720061006D00250032003000460069006C00650073002F004A006100760061002F006A007200650036002F00620069006E002F0063006C00690065006E0074002F006A0076006D002E0064006C006C00</vendorData>

This is from an old profile and crashes. The panel loads normally in a new profile, where the line is:

<vendorData>660069006C0065003A002F002F002F0043003A002F00500072006F006700720061006D00250032003000460069006C00650073002F004A006100760061002F006A007200650037002F00620069006E002F0063006C00690065006E0074002F006A0076006D002E0064006C006C00</vendorData>

(the difference is "650036002" compared to "650037002")

Manually reconfiguring the JRE using LibreOffice -> Java resolves the crash, but I can reliably crash LO from a fresh profile simply by importing the old config/javasettings_Windows_x86.xml file and then clicking through the reproduction steps in comment #0 (or by changing the string in question on a fresh profile).

As this appears to be a Java-related crash, my JRE build is 1.7.0_05-b05.
Comment 5 Julien Nabet 2012-07-17 19:57:23 UTC
(In reply to comment #4)
> This is an upgrade crasher: it doesn't happen with a new profile. Tracked the
> problem down to config/javasettings_Windows_x86.xml - the config line is:
> 
> <vendorData>660069006C0065003A002F002F002F0043003A002F00500072006F006700720061006D00250032003000460069006C00650073002F004A006100760061002F006A007200650036002F00620069006E002F0063006C00690065006E0074002F006A0076006D002E0064006C006C00</vendorData>

> This is from an old profile and crashes. The panel loads normally in a new
> profile, where the line is:
> 
> <vendorData>660069006C0065003A002F002F002F0043003A002F00500072006F006700720061006D00250032003000460069006C00650073002F004A006100760061002F006A007200650037002F00620069006E002F0063006C00690065006E0074002F006A0076006D002E0064006C006C00</vendorData>
> 
> (the difference is "650036002" compared to "650037002")
>


By decoding16 (I used http://online-calculators.appspot.com/base16/), we find :
- for the first line:
file:///C:/Program%20Files/Java/jre6/bin/client/jvm.dll
- for the second line:
file:///C:/Program%20Files/Java/jre7/bin/client/jvm.dll

Do you still have the jre6 installed or only jre7 ?
Comment 6 Chris Cunningham 2012-07-17 20:27:49 UTC
Only jre7 is installed. I assume that I've made the jre6 -> jre7 transition at some point and LibreOffice hasn't noticed; when it then tries to invoke Java for the options panel in question it crashes. So presumably there should be some checking that the JRE path is valid before trying to invoke it there.
Comment 8 Björn Michaelsen 2012-08-31 09:53:06 UTC
possibly related to: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=38913
Comment 9 Joop Lanting 2012-09-08 13:20:08 UTC
Hello,
I just upgraded LO to 3.6.1 on XP and W7 and I got the same crash.
Funny, because, like I was advised, I first deleted the 'extensions' tree
to avoid other problems.

So: the bug is still there.
More info: Firefox 15.0.1, no extensions installed to LO

As I don't know what the 'mediawiki' is about I might never try it again.

;JOOP!
Comment 10 Caolán McNamara 2012-09-11 15:21:57 UTC
I think we're now working on the theory that this is either a duplicate of fdo#38913 or fdo#36149. If you can reproduce this, it'd be great to check in a recent daily if the problem persists. fdo#52122 does come with a handy how-to reproduce (though daily masters use LoDev rather than LibreOffice or something like that) as their AppData for twiddling that.
Comment 11 Julien Nabet 2012-12-12 21:19:14 UTC
with 3.6 sources updated today, I don't reproduce the bug anymore. Instead, I've got a popup telling me that I must choose JRE since the present one is defect
So update to WFM.

Chris: if you can still reproduce the problem, don't hesitate to reopen this.