Bug Hunting Session
Bug 84022 - FORMATTING: SORTING DATA
Summary: FORMATTING: SORTING DATA
Status: RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 81633
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Calc (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
4.3.1.2 release
Hardware: x86 (IA32) Mac OS X (All)
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2014-09-17 22:13 UTC by Ian
Modified: 2014-09-20 05:43 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
Personal finance tracking using Calc (502.87 KB, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.spreadsheet)
2014-09-17 22:13 UTC, Ian
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Ian 2014-09-17 22:13:17 UTC
Created attachment 106467 [details]
Personal finance tracking using Calc

Libre Office for Mac V4.3.1.2. and previous version

BACKGROUND:
This spreadsheet has been created and refined by me over a number of years, so some early rows will have different formulae to the most recent. The modifications have been sometimes on the Mac, and sometimes in Open Office on my Wintel laptop.
Data is usually entered on the blank rows below the green 'End of Month' rows then sorted by date to place in date order.
I have visited LibreOfffice forums and didn't readily find a similar problem, so it may be something specific to this spreadsheet or the Mac.

THE PROBLEM (BUG):
When sorting entire rows, row references in formulae become corrupted.
Eg C365-C366 becomes C392-C395 instead of retaining one row relationship.

This creates errors in the columns K to V and makes reconciliation with bank statements etc impossible.

REPEATABILITY:
On the Macbook this problem has been plaguing me for some months now, and I thought there was something wrong with my formulae or the way my partner was performing the sort.
We installed LO V4.3.1.2 for Mac today (clean install).  I tried several times to sort the data and the result is still the same.
HOWEVER, EXACTLY the same spreadsheet (opened and sorted in Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 in Win7/X86-64) sorts as expected.

ATTACHMENT:
The attached spreadsheet has had personal info removed from columns B, C, and D but these columns are not referenced in any other columns.
Sorting is always done on column A (Date) with the other sort options left as 'Undefined'
There are three existing rows with added data below 'End of Month' rows.  Add appropriate dates to these rows and sort.

This is my first bug report so please be kind to me!  Should you clever people need any more info, please email and tell me exactly what info you need (and where to find it) as I'm an advanced computer user, not a computer guru.  :-)

Regards,
Ian
Comment 1 Ian 2014-09-18 22:44:20 UTC
UPDATE
Same spreadsheet using OpenOffice 4.4.1 on Macbook sorts as expected.
Comment 2 Ian 2014-09-18 22:46:47 UTC
(In reply to comment #1)
> UPDATE
> Same spreadsheet using OpenOffice 4.4.1 on Macbook sorts as expected.

Correction
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Ian
Comment 3 ign_christian 2014-09-19 06:00:07 UTC
Hello Ian.. Welcome to the club :)

Unfortunately your file is too complex & you didn't provide exact reproducible steps to see the problem.

Please tell the exact step by step procedure, then change status to UNCONFIRMED

*) Possibly your report is duplicate to Bug 81633 (new behavior introduced since LO 4.3.1), please read that bug and all duplicate/related bugs.
Comment 4 Ian 2014-09-19 22:31:06 UTC
(In reply to comment #3)
> Hello Ian.. Welcome to the club :)
> 
> Unfortunately your file is too complex & you didn't provide exact
> reproducible steps to see the problem.
> 
> Please tell the exact step by step procedure, then change status to
> UNCONFIRMED
> 
> *) Possibly your report is duplicate to Bug 81633 (new behavior introduced
> since LO 4.3.1), please read that bug and all duplicate/related bugs.

G'day Ign.
I'm not smart enough to follow all of Bug 81633 discussion, but yes, it would appear to be the same problem.  Basically, cell references change abnormally when sorting.
There was some discussion to having references "sticky" (I assume by the use of the '$' in either the row or column reference) but this is simply not acceptable for the type of sort we are wanting.

When I have time, I'll make a cut down version and write detailed notes as requested.

In the meantime, I'll mark as this as a duplicate for the moment and follow Bug 81633
Comment 5 ign_christian 2014-09-20 02:40:28 UTC
Hello again Ian.. If you confirmed this as duplicate to Bug 81633, just mark this and no need to spend extra time to write reproducible steps.

FYI, if you followed Bug 81633, this new behavior introduced since LO 4.3.1 and 4.2.7 daily. If you want to stick with old behavior, you can temporarily use LO 4.3.0.4 or 4.2.6.3. Or you could try LO 4.4 daily (both behavior is configurable in 4.4).
Comment 6 Ian 2014-09-20 05:43:14 UTC
(In reply to comment #5)
> Hello again Ian.. If you confirmed this as duplicate to Bug 81633, just mark
> this and no need to spend extra time to write reproducible steps.
> 
> FYI, if you followed Bug 81633, this new behavior introduced since LO 4.3.1
> and 4.2.7 daily. If you want to stick with old behavior, you can temporarily
> use LO 4.3.0.4 or 4.2.6.3. Or you could try LO 4.4 daily (both behavior is
> configurable in 4.4).

Thanks Ign.
I feel that I don't need the possible grief with daily builds or using past versions of LO.
I'll stay with (Gasp!) OO.o which currently works as I want, and monitor Bug 81633 until LO 4.4 is released as a stable version.  I'll then re-evaluate LO for our needs.
Thanks again for your help and feedback.  Should you wish to try the "enhancements" with my usage patterns, feel free to email and I'll be happy to evaluate and report back.
Best Regards,
Ian
bondi3880@gmail.com
Comment 7 Ian 2014-09-20 05:43:55 UTC

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 81633 ***