Bug 85187 - cannot install LibreOffice on Win7
Summary: cannot install LibreOffice on Win7
Status: RESOLVED INVALID
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Installation (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
4.3.2.2 release
Hardware: Other Windows (All)
: medium critical
Assignee: Andras Timar
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2014-10-18 22:40 UTC by helen katz
Modified: 2016-05-09 20:08 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:
Regression By:


Attachments
libreoffice error message (191.96 KB, image/jpeg)
2014-10-18 22:40 UTC, helen katz
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description helen katz 2014-10-18 22:40:48 UTC
Created attachment 108045 [details]
libreoffice error message

upon trying to install the LibreOffice download, i get the attached error message:
this installation package could not be opened. contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package.
i'm running windows 7.
Comment 1 tommy27 2014-10-19 06:10:38 UTC
which version you were trying to install? 4.2.6.3 or 4.3.2.2?
which download link and mirror did you download the installation package?
have you tried downloading again the package from another mirror?
Comment 2 helen katz 2014-10-21 03:43:02 UTC
(In reply to tommy27 from comment #1)
> which version you were trying to install? 4.2.6.3 or 4.3.2.2?
> which download link and mirror did you download the installation package?
> have you tried downloading again the package from another mirror?

i am trying to download 4.3, both from libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/ and from majorgeeks.com and their connection to the author's site

i have tried several times and always get the error that starts with "this installation package could not be opened......"

i am using windows 7
Comment 3 tommy27 2014-10-21 04:32:56 UTC
try with the stable 4.2.6.3 to see if it's the same
Comment 4 tommy27 2014-10-21 04:51:38 UTC
another test is to try the portable version of LibO 4.3.2.2 which you can find here: http://www.winpenpack.com/main/download.php?view.1354

does it has the same problem of the regular install version?
Comment 5 Andras Timar 2014-10-21 12:04:03 UTC
Please check that the MSI file is not corrupted. Right click on the file -> Properties -> Digital Signatures tab -> Details button. If you read on the Digital Signature Details panel, that "This digital signature is OK", then the package is not corrupted. Otherwise it is, and you need to download it again from a good mirror. For me the digital signature is OK (LibreOffice_4.3.2_Win_x86.msi), and I can install it without problems.
Comment 6 helen katz 2014-10-21 16:45:42 UTC
(In reply to tommy27 from comment #4)
> another test is to try the portable version of LibO 4.3.2.2 which you can
> find here: http://www.winpenpack.com/main/download.php?view.1354
> 
> does it has the same problem of the regular install version?

i am able to download/install this version of LibO. and i am able to execute it.
does this tell you anything?
Comment 7 helen katz 2014-10-21 16:50:19 UTC
(In reply to Andras Timar from comment #5)
> Please check that the MSI file is not corrupted. Right click on the file ->
> Properties -> Digital Signatures tab -> Details button. If you read on the
> Digital Signature Details panel, that "This digital signature is OK", then
> the package is not corrupted. Otherwise it is, and you need to download it
> again from a good mirror. For me the digital signature is OK
> (LibreOffice_4.3.2_Win_x86.msi), and I can install it without problems.

when i right click on the file and click on properties, i do not get a Digital Signatures tab. i get general, compatibility, security, custom, details, previous versions. (windows 7)
Comment 8 tommy27 2014-10-22 02:41:14 UTC
-> Helen
take a look at Bug 84603 and tell me if it helps, or if it's a completely different problem

have you tried installing 4.3.2.2 in a different computer? is this install bug always present on a different system?
Comment 9 Maxim Monastirsky 2014-10-22 09:32:05 UTC
(In reply to helen katz from comment #7)
> when i right click on the file and click on properties, i do not get a
> Digital Signatures tab.
That means your download is incomplete/corrupted. You'll need to download again. If this won't help, try another mirror (You can get list of mirrors if you click the "Info" link that's located under the big green download button).
Comment 10 Juha 2014-10-22 10:17:22 UTC
@helen katz

Have you tried to download the latest LibreOffice via torrent or by using some download manager? Sometimes downloading via web browser has corrupted installation files for me (even though this is not very likely, it's still possible).

Try also updating your web browser to it's latest version.
Comment 11 helen katz 2014-10-22 23:22:28 UTC
(In reply to Juha from comment #10)
> @helen katz
> 
> Have you tried to download the latest LibreOffice via torrent or by using
> some download manager? Sometimes downloading via web browser has corrupted
> installation files for me (even though this is not very likely, it's still
> possible).
> 
> Try also updating your web browser to it's latest version.

i have tried downloading the program with firefox, internet explorer and chrome. i have used a download manager. i have all the latest versions.  today i was able to download/install the program on my computer at work using the same link as i used at home. i think it's time to give up. unless you have a better idea.....
Comment 12 Buovjaga 2014-11-27 10:34:12 UTC
(In reply to helen katz from comment #11)
> i have tried downloading the program with firefox, internet explorer and
> chrome. i have used a download manager. i have all the latest versions. 
> today i was able to download/install the program on my computer at work
> using the same link as i used at home. i think it's time to give up. unless
> you have a better idea.....

The best idea: install a torrent client: http://www.qbittorrent.org/ (free software)
Click the torrent link in the LibO download page, under the big green Download version x -button. The current link is http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/stable/4.3.4/win/x86/LibreOffice_4.3.4_Win_x86.msi.torrent
Comment 13 adj 2015-02-08 21:23:33 UTC
Hi, had same problem with update 4.4.0 ("could not install, check with vendor that this is a Windows installable file"). Checked Properties, then tried "Open with2 and got offered Windows Installer, so ran that and worked no problem. After that, tests on the earlier downloads from different mirrors all offered to install without any problems. Guess it's  typical W7 muddle, have had it before with other progs.
Comment 14 QA Administrators 2015-09-04 02:56:19 UTC
Dear Bug Submitter,

This bug has been in NEEDINFO status with no change for at least 6 months. Please provide the requested information as soon as possible and mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED. Due to regular bug tracker maintenance, if the bug is still in NEEDINFO status with no change in 30 days the QA team will close the bug as INVALID due to lack of needed information.

For more information about our NEEDINFO policy please read the wiki located here: 
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/FDO/NEEDINFO

If you have already provided the requested information, please mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED so that the QA team knows that the bug is ready to be confirmed.


Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!


Warm Regards,
QA Team

This NEEDINFO message was generated on: 2015-09-03
Comment 15 Robinson Tryon (qubit) 2015-10-07 22:00:05 UTC
Dropping Severity -> critical (we've deprecated the 'blocker' value)
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/Bugzilla/Fields/Severity#Severity_Levels
Comment 16 QA Administrators 2016-05-09 20:08:31 UTC
Dear Bug Submitter,

Please read this message in its entirety before proceeding.

Your bug report is being closed as INVALID due to inactivity and
a lack of information which is needed in order to accurately
reproduce and confirm the problem. We encourage you to retest
your bug against the latest release. If the issue is still
present in the latest stable release, we need the following
information (please ignore any that you've already provided):

a) Provide details of your system including your operating
   system and the latest version of LibreOffice that you have
   confirmed the bug to be present

b) Provide easy to reproduce steps – the simpler the better

c) Provide any test case(s) which will help us confirm the problem

d) Provide screenshots of the problem if you think it might help

e) Read all comments and provide any requested information

Once all of this is done, please set the bug back to UNCONFIRMED
and we will attempt to reproduce the issue. Please do not:

a) respond via email 

b) update the version field in the bug or any of the other details
   on the top section of our bug tracker

Warm Regards,
QA Team

This INVALID Message was generated on: 2016-05-09