Bug Hunting Session
Bug 89605 - TOC: Include preview on the right
Summary: TOC: Include preview on the right
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
Inherited From OOo
Hardware: Other All
: medium enhancement
Assignee: Kshitij
URL:
Whiteboard: target:6.1.0
Keywords: difficultyBeginner, easyHack, skillDesign
Depends on:
Blocks: TableofContents-Indexes
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2015-02-24 06:12 UTC by Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired)
Modified: 2018-01-25 16:46 UTC (History)
5 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2015-02-24 06:12:30 UTC
If you open up the TOC dialog and you click on and off of the preview checkbox, the entire dialogs contents is being shifted, so if the preview was on the right, just the right side of the dialog would be moving back and forth. This would also make it consistent with previews features found insert image dialogs.
Comment 1 Cor Nouws 2015-02-24 08:05:45 UTC
nice.
Comment 2 A (Andy) 2015-02-24 19:49:29 UTC
This sounds for me also good.

But I recognized a further issue regarding this.  If I deactivate and then activate the preview again then preview shows also the toolbars from the top and bottom.
Comment 3 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2015-02-24 20:12:27 UTC
(In reply to A (Andy) from comment #2)
> But I recognized a further issue regarding this.  If I deactivate and then
> activate the preview again then preview shows also the toolbars from the top
> and bottom.

Not sure if follow this as i dont see any toolbars in the preview.
Comment 4 Adolfo Jayme 2015-02-24 21:19:22 UTC
(In reply to A (Andy) from comment #2)
> This sounds for me also good.
> 
> But I recognized a further issue regarding this.  If I deactivate and then
> activate the preview again then preview shows also the toolbars from the top
> and bottom.

Please report that as a separate bug (which, for the record, is reproducible by installing some extensions, such as AltSearch).

(In reply to Jay Philips from comment #0)
> If you open up the TOC dialog and you click on and off of the preview
> checkbox, the entire dialogs contents is being shifted

Previews and other content are usually on the left because we reserve the right side for settings which modify that content. This is the same reason why the Sidebar is on the right (cf. bug 83026), and this is also why the Print dialog’s preview is on the left.

> This would also make it consistent with previews features found insert image
> dialogs.

Those dialogs are from the system, not from LibreOffice. We don’t have to try and follow those all the time. IMHO.
Comment 5 Robinson Tryon (qubit) 2016-08-25 04:45:08 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 6 csongor 2017-12-13 12:09:44 UTC
I think it would require less change and it could also be a good solution if the Help button and the Preview checkbox would not be aligned to the left side of the window but it would aligned to the Type, Entries, ... tabs, according to the following illustration (see it iwith fixed fonts).

Current behaviour:

PreviewPreviewPreview  Type|Entrie|Styles|Columns|Background
PreviewPreviewPreview  .............................................
PreviewPreviewPreview  .............................................
PreviewPreviewPreview  .............................................
PreviewPreviewPreview  .............................................
PreviewPreviewPreview  .............................................
[HELP] [x] Preview

Type|Entrie|Styles|Columns|Background
.............................................
.............................................
.............................................
.............................................
.............................................
[HELP] [x] Preview



My proposal:

PreviewPreviewPreview  Type|Entrie|Styles|Columns|Background
PreviewPreviewPreview  .............................................
PreviewPreviewPreview  .............................................
PreviewPreviewPreview  .............................................
PreviewPreviewPreview  .............................................
PreviewPreviewPreview  .............................................
                       [HELP] [x] Preview

                       Type|Entrie|Styles|Columns|Background        
                       .............................................
                       .............................................
                       .............................................
                       .............................................
                       .............................................
                       [HELP] [x] Preview                           

I am not sure it is easy to implement, though.
Comment 7 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2017-12-13 13:40:20 UTC
(In reply to Adolfo Jayme from comment #4)
> Previews and other content are usually on the left because we reserve the
> right side for settings which modify that content. This is the same reason
> why the Sidebar is on the right (cf. bug 83026), and this is also why the
> Print dialog’s preview is on the left.

If you look at most of LO's dialogs, the preview is always on the right.

Paragraph dialog
Bullets & Numbering dialog
Page dialog
Image / Frame / OLE dialog

> Those dialogs are from the system, not from LibreOffice. We don’t have to
> try and follow those all the time. IMHO.

LO's build-in insert image dialog has the preview on the right.
Comment 8 Heiko Tietze 2017-12-13 20:16:26 UTC
We discussed the topic in the design meeting. Since most of the new dialogs have the preview right-hand and since this layout is our new default we agreed on the proposal.

Probably an easyhack.
Comment 9 Kshitij 2018-01-24 19:05:18 UTC
Hi! I would like to work on this bug.
Comment 10 Commit Notification 2018-01-25 16:46:02 UTC
Kshitij Pathania committed a patch related to this issue.
It has been pushed to "master":

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=36686e2aae19651e3b2128f255537ed68d92fd06

tdf#89605 Now preview appear on right

It will be available in 6.1.0.

The patch should be included in the daily builds available at
http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/ in the next 24-48 hours. More
information about daily builds can be found at:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Testing_Daily_Builds

Affected users are encouraged to test the fix and report feedback.