Created attachment 115834 [details]
LibreOffice Writer crashes whenever I try to remove sections from a document.
It doesn't crash when the Section have only one Subsection.
But, it always crashes when the Section has a Subsection which has another Subsection.
I have attached a PDF explaining the situation. It also contains an image describing the situation.
Thanks to all LibreOffice Developers.
P.S: I have experienced this on both Linux and Windows.
Can you save the document before the crashing step, and post it so we can reproduce it?
I would not recommend uploading the document here as it is copyrighted material.
I converted the file in calibre, extracted the html, and opened it in LO. I was able to get it to hang by selecting multiple sections in Format -> Sections and removing them. I did not wait to see if it sorted itself out. It happens in web or print layout view.
I created a document with subsections and hyperlinks to bookmarks but I cannot get it to hang or crash. I converted it to html and it still would not hang.
The only other thing I noticed is that there are two table of contents and links to images that do not exist because they were not extracted. After deleting some images LO then hangs.
Windows Vista 64
Build ID: 88805f81e9fe61362df02b9941de8e38a9b5fd16
Created attachment 115920 [details]
The document which is causing LO to crash.
Not fixed in LO 184.108.40.206 alpha1.
We do not set our own bugs to NEW. QA needs to triage it.
Reproduced. Looks like inherited.
Created attachment 116017 [details]
Created attachment 125857 [details]
minimized document to test the issue
The issue still present in LO 5.1.4 (Linux amd64).
I uploaded a simple almost empty document to test the issue. Only 2.5 pages of sections (~60 sections) and no text at all. The document is not complex.
The issue appears only if top section with more than one levels of subsections is removed and if there are some (>50) sections after removed section. And time seems to growth exponentially with number of sections after.
Steps to reproduces the issue:
1. Open minimized document to test the issue
2. open dialog Format->Sections
3. remove last top section (Section54).
deleting doesn't take any time. There is no issue here.
4. remove first top section (Section1)
deleting takes on my machine 26 seconds.
If you add/delete sections after first top section delete time will increase/decrease.
confirmed still a problem in LO5.3beta2 using Ubuntu x64.
The "crash" I experienced seems to be an endless loop. The cpu hits 100% and stays there. gdb didn't help me since I'm only a novice at it's use.
About the only thing I can get is:
0x00007ffff7474b5d in poll () at ../sysdeps/unix/syscall-template.S:84
84 in ../sysdeps/unix/syscall-template.S
** Please read this message in its entirety before responding **
To make sure we're focusing on the bugs that affect our users today, LibreOffice QA is asking bug reporters and confirmers to retest open, confirmed bugs which have not been touched for over a year.
There have been thousands of bug fixes and commits since anyone checked on this bug report. During that time, it's possible that the bug has been fixed, or the details of the problem have changed. We'd really appreciate your help in getting confirmation that the bug is still present.
If you have time, please do the following:
Test to see if the bug is still present with the latest version of LibreOffice from https://www.libreoffice.org/download/
If the bug is present, please leave a comment that includes the information from Help - About LibreOffice.
If the bug is NOT present, please set the bug's Status field to RESOLVED-WORKSFORME and leave a comment that includes the information from Help - About LibreOffice.
Please DO NOT
Update the version field
Reply via email (please reply directly on the bug tracker)
Set the bug's Status field to RESOLVED - FIXED (this status has a particular meaning that is not
appropriate in this case)
If you want to do more to help you can test to see if your issue is a REGRESSION. To do so:
1. Download and install oldest version of LibreOffice (usually 3.3 unless your bug pertains to a feature added after 3.3) from http://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/
2. Test your bug
3. Leave a comment with your results.
4a. If the bug was present with 3.3 - set version to 'inherited from OOo';
4b. If the bug was not present in 3.3 - add 'regression' to keyword
Feel free to come ask questions or to say hello in our QA chat: https://kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.freenode.net/#libreoffice-qa
Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!
repro STR in comment #9 (after step 4, about 18 sec. to respond)
Version: 220.127.116.11.alpha0+ (x64)
Build ID: 10e20a77ce302a0475a661ad1886f2ca83c55f3f
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 18363; UI render: Skia/Vulkan; VCL: win;
Locale: en-US (en_DK); UI-Language: en-US
The "crash" I experienced seems to be an endless loop. Check here https://bit.ly/3imsMJY