I think I figured out the patterns to some major .docx export bugs regarding comments/notes:
- Clicking the "Save" button in the toolbar after editing a comment will silently insert an uppercase "X" character at the end of the comment (at the cursor position?)
- Clicking the "Save" button will not actually save the changed contents, only the appended X.
- The only way for the changed contents to be recorded in the file is to do a change, click the window manager's close button to exit LibreOffice, and answer "Save" at the confirmation prompt. Then the changes get recorded, along with the "X" character. What the...?
Created attachment 116803 [details]
simplified sample - docx file generated by libreoffice
Even weirder: if you have two comments, and you edit comment #1, then click Close & confirm "Save" on exit... the X gets appended to the second comment instead of the one you edited!
I can reproduce the "X" being added to comments on hyperlinks. The first time the document is reloaded an "X" appears. If you do not modify the document and close it and open it in MS Word Viewer then there is no "X". The next time the document is amended then that "X" is saved and is viewable in MS Word Viewer.
I could not reproduce the lose of data.
Windows Vista 64
Build ID: 2c39ebcf046445232b798108aa8a7e7d89552ea8
Build ID: 89b5967658392d27fb3147e85abb2b5c1c34b101
TinderBox: Win-x86@39, Branch:master, Time: 2015-06-24_04:10:17
Does not happen in 18.104.22.168.
Comments not saving already exists as bug 73221.
** Please read this message in its entirety before responding **
To make sure we're focusing on the bugs that affect our users today, LibreOffice QA is asking bug reporters and confirmers to retest open, confirmed bugs which have not been touched for over a year.
There have been thousands of bug fixes and commits since anyone checked on this bug report. During that time, it's possible that the bug has been fixed, or the details of the problem have changed. We'd really appreciate your help in getting confirmation that the bug is still present.
If you have time, please do the following:
Test to see if the bug is still present on a currently supported version of LibreOffice
(5.1.5 or 5.2.1 https://www.libreoffice.org/download/
If the bug is present, please leave a comment that includes the version of LibreOffice and
your operating system, and any changes you see in the bug behavior
If the bug is NOT present, please set the bug's Status field to RESOLVED-WORKSFORME and leave
a short comment that includes your version of LibreOffice and Operating System
Please DO NOT
Update the version field
Reply via email (please reply directly on the bug tracker)
Set the bug's Status field to RESOLVED - FIXED (this status has a particular meaning that is not
appropriate in this case)
If you want to do more to help you can test to see if your issue is a REGRESSION. To do so:
1. Download and install oldest version of LibreOffice (usually 3.3 unless your bug pertains to a feature added after 3.3)
2. Test your bug
3. Leave a comment with your results.
4a. If the bug was present with 3.3 - set version to "inherited from OOo";
4b. If the bug was not present in 3.3 - add "regression" to keyword
Feel free to come ask questions or to say hello in our QA chat: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=libreoffice-qa
Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!
Created attachment 139801 [details]
Screenshot of the file after save in LO 5.4.4
The two problems reported are now gone in 5.4.
- The extra X being added was fixed in bug #85523
- The inability to save while editing a comment was fixed in bug #68604
Let's set this as a duplicate.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 85523 ***