Bug 95126 - Do not use an incomplete icon set like Tango as default icon set
Summary: Do not use an incomplete icon set like Tango as default icon set
Status: RESOLVED WONTFIX
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: UI (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
5.0.2.2 release
Hardware: All All
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2015-10-17 08:38 UTC by Jean-Baptiste Faure
Modified: 2015-10-20 14:05 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Jean-Baptiste Faure 2015-10-17 08:38:59 UTC
The default icon set should be complete both for the UI and the built-in help.
Tango is the default icon set for several OS and it is not complete as we can see in bug 82149.
So I suggest to set back the default icon set to Galaxy.

Best regards. JBF
Comment 1 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2015-10-19 20:40:18 UTC
Presently we dont have a single icon theme that is fully complete, though Galaxy is the most complete of them all, with Breeze slightly trailing behind it. There are various problems with the icon theme system (e.g. bug 93866), but all of them can be fixed, including the bug in the help viewer (bug 82149) which isnt an issue with the completeness of the icon sets.

Galaxy is no longer being worked on and is not a very visually appealing icon theme. Also with the continuous improvements to the UI (toolbars, context menus, etc), more and more missing icons will be appearing in Galaxy that will likely be patched up with icons from Tango or Breeze. Galaxy is presently the fallback icon theme for all icon themes, but there isnt a benefit for returning it back to be the default.
Comment 2 Jean-Baptiste Faure 2015-10-20 04:30:56 UTC
Your reasoning is very interesting: you set this bug report as invalid because icon sets are incomplete, that is because it explain that there is a bug !!!

If you think that nobody want or can work on completing these icon sets, you could set the bug report as wontfix, but, please, do not say that the description of a real problem is not a valid description.

I agree that some people could find Galaxy icon sets not very visually appealing, but it is much worse to have many icons missing in the built-in help. So setting back galaxy as default icon set as long as bug 82149 is not fixed could be a temporary solution which will discredit LibreOffice less than many missing icons. Here is the benefit for returning galaxy icon sets back to be the temporary default.

Best regards. JBF
Comment 3 tommy27 2015-10-20 05:28:17 UTC
what Jay probably wanted to say is that icon themes are being improved right now and in the near future the Tango theme will probably fill the missing spots, while the Galaxy theme will start showing missing icons about the new functionalities that are being introduced in new releases, becoming incomplete as well

@Jay
any idea about how many Tango icons are missing? do you have numbers?
Comment 4 Adolfo Jayme 2015-10-20 05:40:15 UTC
Bug 82149 can be fixed without needing to switch themes because of that.
Comment 5 Jean-Baptiste Faure 2015-10-20 07:04:58 UTC
(In reply to Adolfo Jayme from comment #4)
> Bug 82149 can be fixed without needing to switch themes because of that.

Yes it can be fixed, but when? Here we have a easy waiting solution as long as bug 82149 is not fixed.

Best regards. JBF
Comment 6 richard_g 2015-10-20 08:21:05 UTC
In reply to Yousuf (Jay) Philips

>Galaxy is no longer being worked on and is not a very visually appealing icon theme.

You cannot say that Galaxy is not a very visually appealing icon theme. This is YOUR point of view, not the point of view of all Libre Office users. Galaxy is my preferred theme.

I don't understand why it takes so long time to solve this problem of missing icons. A built-in help is needed for such a complex software. This help is very important for users and should not be neglected. As Jean-Baptiste said, an ugly built-in help with many missing icons discredits Libre Office.

Tests with version 4.4.5 show that ALL icon themes have the same missing icons (many missing icons). Tests with Galaxy theme in version 5.0.2 show that the problem is partially solved, but some icons are still missing (not tried other themes).

If maintaining several icon themes is difficult, maybe future Libre Office versions could propose only a single icon theme ? But whatever would be decided, I consider that all proposed themes should contain all icons. And while waiting that the buit-in help would be made able to interpret the "links.txt" file in each theme, the default icon theme should be switched to the most complete one.


Richard_G
Comment 7 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2015-10-20 14:05:07 UTC
Hi JBF,

(In reply to Jean-Baptiste Faure from comment #2)
> Your reasoning is very interesting: you set this bug report as invalid
> because icon sets are incomplete, that is because it explain that there is a
> bug !!!

Please dont take my setting this bug as invalid to mean more than my inexperience with setting bug statuses.

> If you think that nobody want or can work on completing these icon sets, you
> could set the bug report as wontfix, but, please, do not say that the
> description of a real problem is not a valid description.

Nobody is working on Galaxy, but in every release, improvements are happening for Tango, Sifr, and Breeze.

> I agree that some people could find Galaxy icon sets not very visually
> appealing, but it is much worse to have many icons missing in the built-in
> help. So setting back galaxy as default icon set as long as bug 82149 is not
> fixed could be a temporary solution which will discredit LibreOffice less
> than many missing icons. Here is the benefit for returning galaxy icon sets
> back to be the temporary default.

As help isnt installed by default, isnt up-to-date, and isnt used by most users, switching back to Galaxy just because of the problems in help isnt the right solution to that problem.

(In reply to tommy27 from comment #3)
> @Jay
> any idea about how many Tango icons are missing? do you have numbers?

According to analysis done by Samuel for the removal of the industrial icon theme which tango pulls from before pulling from galaxy, there are approximately 366 icons that tango is pulling from industrial. Unfortunately there arent any analysis of the icons missing between tango and galaxy.

(In reply to Jean-Baptiste Faure from comment #5)
> Yes it can be fixed, but when? Here we have a easy waiting solution as long
> as bug 82149 is not fixed.

The true problems with bug 82149 were only discovered in the last few days and there are a number of possible solutions that could be used to solve it temporarily, like making the help viewer only use galaxy.

(In reply to richard_g from comment #6)
> You cannot say that Galaxy is not a very visually appealing icon theme. This
> is YOUR point of view, not the point of view of all Libre Office users.
> Galaxy is my preferred theme.

Yes of course it was my opinion that its not visually appealing, but we do have stats that Galaxy isnt the most used icon theme for libreoffice, of course primarily because its not the default icon theme. The decision to use Tango over Galaxy was made in the Go-oo days, likely due to Tango being the default icon theme on Gnome.

> I don't understand why it takes so long time to solve this problem of
> missing icons. A built-in help is needed for such a complex software. This
> help is very important for users and should not be neglected. As
> Jean-Baptiste said, an ugly built-in help with many missing icons discredits
> Libre Office.

As stated above, the root of the problem of the missing help icons was only discovered recently and unless someone gets to the root of the problem and brings the severity to a developer interested in fixing it, it wont get fixed.

> If maintaining several icon themes is difficult, maybe future Libre Office
> versions could propose only a single icon theme ? But whatever would be
> decided, I consider that all proposed themes should contain all icons. And
> while waiting that the buit-in help would be made able to interpret the
> "links.txt" file in each theme, the default icon theme should be switched to
> the most complete one.

We are presently primarily focused on 1 colored and 1 monochrome icon theme (tango and breeze), both of which are the most complete icon themes behind galaxy.