Bug 99013 - EDITING: Find&Replace settings chosen for one document affects searches in all open documents
Summary: EDITING: Find&Replace settings chosen for one document affects searches in al...
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
5.1.1.3 release
Hardware: x86-64 (AMD64) All
: medium minor
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: Find-Search
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2016-04-01 06:04 UTC by Luke Kendall
Modified: 2021-12-03 07:59 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:
Regression By:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Luke Kendall 2016-04-01 06:04:28 UTC
I was astonished when I tried searching in one document ("Doc B") for text I was pretty sure was there, the quick-search wasn't finding any text I tried.

I discovered it was because in another document ("Doc A"), I was doing a Find&Replace for a Format (Times New Roman 10.5pt).  That should be a per-document setting, not applied to every open document!  

After opening the F&R panel in the current document ("Doc B") and selecting "No Format", all the searches then succeeded.  Perhaps the bug is stranger than I think, though: when I went back to the document where I'm searching for 10.5pt Times New Roman ("Doc A"), expecting that turning off searching by format in Doc B would have turned it off in Doc A - it hadn't!

Could the last settings for a F&R in some document be inherited as the initial settings in the next opened document?  That's also bad: the F&R should start off from a standard default setting.  Although I can see that there would be *some* use cases where the current surprising behaviour would be useful.
Comment 1 Luke Kendall 2016-04-01 07:34:46 UTC
It's more complex than that>  Sometimes setting the F&R options in one document *does* set the same option for F&R in another.  It's quite irritating when you're working on two or more documents at the same time, and doing different kinds of searches repeatedly in each.  (In my case, I'm doing complex comparisons, in long documents, guided to the appropriate places by appropriate searches.)
Comment 2 Luke Kendall 2016-04-01 07:43:46 UTC
I should probably give an example of the more compex behaviour.

I'm searching for text by format in Doc B (to repair errors caused by copying the entire body of Doc A and changing body text style: Ref: https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=99014 ).

So in Doc B I'm searching for Times New Roman 14.
Occasionally I find something questionable,. so I need to find the corresponding point in Doc A.  To do that I search for an appropriate unique few words.  The search fails: I see that F&R in Doc A has switched to search for Format (again).  I click No Format, redo the search, and find the correct point.

Switching back to F&R in Doc B, I find its F&R panel now contains the matching text found in Doc A (!), although it is still searching for the desired format (TNR 14pt).  So I wipe out the matched text in the F&R panel I'm using in Doc B, and continue my search.

In case it's relevant, I have Complex Text Layout turned on in Language Settings->Languages.  (This is to enable the use of a non-breaking no-width space to prevent mis-formatting of .44 caliber as . <new line> calibre.)
Comment 3 Buovjaga 2016-04-13 10:27:29 UTC
Repro.

Win 7 Pro 64-bit Version: 5.2.0.0.alpha0+
Build ID: b0e678c86136ef6d65cea66168a99217664c0278
CPU Threads: 4; OS Version: Windows 6.1; UI Render: default; 
TinderBox: Win-x86@42, Branch:master, Time: 2016-04-11_23:06:28
Locale: fi-FI (fi_FI)
Comment 4 QA Administrators 2017-10-23 14:08:29 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 5 QA Administrators 2019-12-03 15:00:09 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 6 QA Administrators 2021-12-03 04:46:06 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 7 Luke Kendall 2021-12-03 07:59:56 UTC
Bug is as bad as ever, perhaps worse.

Now when switching between documents and using F&R panel, I had:

1) The search text copied from one F&R panel into the other. (IMO, a bug)
2) The search by Format was turned on in a second already-open doc with F&R open, after using F&R and turning on a search by Format in the first.
2.1) On one occasion, the search by Bold format in the 1st did NOT change the format being searched for in the 2nd (Regular)
2.2) On another occasion, searching for some bold text in the 1st doc DID change the format being searched for in the 2nd (bold), but then the bold text was not found, when previously it had been.

I would suspect an interaction with direct formatting, except the behaviour (2.1 vs 2.2 in the examples above) varied between the same documents I had open without any editing, just by changing what I was searching for in the F&R panels.

Version: 7.2.3.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: d166454616c1632304285822f9c83ce2e660fd92
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 5.13; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-AU (en_AU.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded