Using screen readers JAWS or NVDA, it is not possible to read/edit comments, neither is there supportt/appropriate speech or braille output while inserting a new comment. (Tested with Writer and Calc.)
Confirmed with NVDA.
Win 7 Pro 64-bit Version: 18.104.22.168.alpha1+
Build ID: d848960a3e77a8608a48f3ba394928c955f1e2d9
CPU Threads: 4; OS Version: Windows 6.1; UI Render: default;
TinderBox: Win-x86@39, Branch:master, Time: 2016-04-25_06:03:51
Locale: fi-FI (fi_FI)
Bug 92389 covers read/edit comments in writer, so lets leave this one for calc.
In calc, i didnt have any problems adding or editing comments with NVDA or Orca using the context menu, so please provide exact details for the issue in calc.
Build ID: f7513f0f53f2d074c08610a68fb787bb379c31d4
CPU Threads: 2; OS Version: Linux 3.19; UI Render: default;
TinderBox: Linux-rpm_deb-x86_64@70-TDF, Branch:master, Time: 2016-09-02_23:58:05
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); Calc: group
In Calc with Orca on Linux (LO 5.2 here):
1. Insert -> Comment: you can edit comment
2. But you cannot go out of the area easily. I didn't find any solution to go out the edition area without mouse.
3. Place the caret/focus on the commented cell.
4. No mention appears saying that the cell has a comment.
5. If you know a comment is present, contextual menu has a Display comment.
6. But this doesn't expose anything to screen reader.
7. The only way to read is to choose, in context menu, Edit the comment. It works but you back to the problem in 2.
Note that 5 and 6 are not available in Writer, hence reading comments is absolutely impossible.
(In reply to Jean-Philippe MENGUAL from comment #3)
> 2. But you cannot go out of the area easily. I didn't find any solution to
> go out the edition area without mouse.
Pressing escape exits editing a comment.
> 4. No mention appears saying that the cell has a comment.
This is a separate issue and would require a different bug report.
> 5. If you know a comment is present, contextual menu has a Display comment.
Yes context menu has edit, delete and show comment entries.