Bug 32503 - EDITING Extremely slow
Summary: EDITING Extremely slow
Status: CLOSED NOTOURBUG
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Base (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
3.3.0 RC1
Hardware: x86-64 (AMD64) Linux (All)
: medium major
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2010-12-18 14:51 UTC by David Burleigh
Modified: 2011-12-22 05:49 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:
Regression By:


Attachments
My little database (599.35 KB, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.database)
2010-12-20 03:27 UTC, David Burleigh
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description David Burleigh 2010-12-18 14:51:43 UTC
I'm running LibreOffice 3.3 RC1 under Ubuntu 10.10 on a 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo with 4 GB RAM.

I have a simple table of about 4000 records, each with six small text and integer fields. After opening the file, it takes a full minute to jump to the last record. On OO 3.2, this was instantaneous.
Comment 1 Yifan Jiang 2010-12-19 23:10:47 UTC
Hi David,

Would you help to attach the document? Is it an ods file? I just tried to operate a 22600 rows ods file (on SLED 11 sp1 LibO rc1) and it jumps to the bottom row like a fly With C-End :)
Comment 2 Yifan Jiang 2010-12-19 23:12:10 UTC
(In reply to comment #1)
> Hi David,
> 
> Would you help to attach the document? Is it an ods file? I just tried to
> operate a 22600 rows ods file (on SLED 11 sp1 LibO rc1) and it jumps to the
> bottom row like a fly With C-End :)

Ah I missed the info it is an odb file :) I'll have a look, meanwhile still please would you attach the helpful original documeent.
Comment 3 Yifan Jiang 2010-12-19 23:28:05 UTC
I copied the 22600 records to an odb table, and it also works in a nice speed in my SLED 11 sp1 via:

1. input 3999 in record field -> Press Enter

    => jump to the record 3999 fairly quick

2. input 4000 in record field -> Press Enter

    => jump to the record 4000 fairly quick

3. input 22599 in record field -> Press Enter

    => jump to the last record (22599) fairly quick    

3. input 99999 in record field -> Press Enter

    => jump to the last record (22599) fairly quick
Comment 4 Alex Thurgood 2010-12-20 00:09:55 UTC
Hi David,

We need more info :
- what kind of database connection : native hsqldb, other DB connection (postgres, mysql) ?
- if using a non-native db, which kind of connector are you using (JDBC, ODBC, C++) ?

I have heard from someone on the French list with a similar problem, but it appears to be related to an Ubuntu update that occurred recently.

My native mysql connection to a mysql db with over 5K records of mixed non indexed VARCHAR, binary, and INT fields works fine, I can jump from anywhere to anywhere else in a fraction of a second.

Alex
Comment 5 Alex Thurgood 2010-12-20 00:14:49 UTC
David, you might like to follow this thread too :

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=111608


It appears to be an upstream problem in the OOo source code. We could in theory set this to RESOLVED NOTOURBUG.


Alex
Comment 6 David Burleigh 2010-12-20 03:27:49 UTC
Created attachment 41287 [details]
My little database

This database consists of only one table of six columns. I open it, click the button to go to the end, and it takes almost a minute. Searches are also extremely slow.
Comment 7 David Burleigh 2010-12-20 03:29:34 UTC
Ok, here is my database. It is using the native hsql database engine. As I said, traversal and searching was instantaneous in OO 3.2.
Comment 8 Alex Thurgood 2010-12-20 04:12:16 UTC
Hi David,

Thanks for this sample DB. I have opened it on my Mac OSX 10.6.5 machine with LibO 3.3 RC1, and quite frankly have no problem in traversing the records from beginning to end. It takes a fraction of a second here. I also tried a notoriously slow way of traversing the data by using the Search function (the binoculars) and even that is fairly quick on my machine, certainly comparable to other text based databases I have of a similar size.

I can only suggest that the problem either lies with the Linux specific version of LibO that you have, or that Ubuntu has done a wonderful job of messing things up for you with a recent update. I seem to recall that the icetea java stuff was recently updated, perhaps that is the root of the problem ? I will test later on a 10.04 Ubuntu machine I have elsewhere, and keep you posted.


Alex
Comment 9 Alex Thurgood 2010-12-20 04:21:22 UTC
David,

The solution appears to be here  :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1642858

http://www.unixmen.com/linux-distributions/4-ubuntu/1266-how-to-install-latest-java-version-in-ubuntu-1010-maverick-meerkat-via-ppa


It seems like there is a Java version problem.

Please try it and report back so that we can decide whether to keep this bug report open or close it.

Alex
Comment 10 David Burleigh 2010-12-20 04:24:25 UTC
Ok, thank you very much. I will do that right away.
Comment 11 David Burleigh 2010-12-20 04:47:53 UTC
That did the trick. Thanks so much!
Comment 12 David Burleigh 2010-12-20 04:48:14 UTC
That did the trick. Thanks so much!
Comment 13 Jean-Baptiste Faure 2011-07-29 01:11:35 UTC
closing this old resolved bug report.
Comment 14 Björn Michaelsen 2011-12-22 05:35:40 UTC
Remove infoprovider from closed and resolved bugs.
Comment 15 Björn Michaelsen 2011-12-22 05:49:33 UTC
RESOLVED, FIXED or CLOSED bugs cant be KEYWORD NEEDINFO.