Bug Hunting Session
Bug 39955 - Bad Support Of Farsi, Arabic, Ordu, ... (Persian Style Languages)
Summary: Bad Support Of Farsi, Arabic, Ordu, ... (Persian Style Languages)
Status: RESOLVED NOTOURBUG
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Localization (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
3.4.2 release
Hardware: x86-64 (AMD64) Linux (All)
: high major
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2011-08-09 01:47 UTC by Bersam
Modified: 2012-10-11 20:40 UTC (History)
5 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
ScreenShot From LibreOffice In ArchLinux With Wrong Show Of Persian (68.11 KB, image/png)
2011-08-09 01:47 UTC, Bersam
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Bersam 2011-08-09 01:47:32 UTC
Created attachment 50062 [details]
ScreenShot From LibreOffice In ArchLinux With Wrong Show Of Persian

In new Version 3.4.2 There's bad support for Persian languages, It's Show all characters separate. Also i checked for Arabic, Ordu, ... this shown.
Screenshot show it.
I tested all of Free Fonts(Ubuntu, Sans, ...), Same at all. but i think it's not about Font.
It's about UI, and What i type there.

TestCase:
LibreOffice 3.4.2 (Wrong!)   : س‌ل‌ا‌م
LibreOffice 3.4.1 (Correct!) : سلام

Using Archlinux, Linux 3.0, Gnome 3.0, LibreOffice 3.4.2, Xorg-Server 1.10.3
Comment 1 Bahram 2011-08-10 07:34:15 UTC
same here :|
Comment 2 alharaka 2011-08-14 10:19:07 UTC
I can also confirm this on a MacBook Pro (Model 6,2) running OS X 10.6.7 with LibreOffice 3.3.2.  Not sure how far back this goes. Bouncing up to 3.4.1 and 3.4.2.  Any plans to fix?
Comment 3 alharaka 2011-08-14 13:21:33 UTC
(In reply to comment #0)
> TestCase:
> LibreOffice 3.4.2 (Wrong!)   : س‌ل‌ا‌م
> LibreOffice 3.4.1 (Correct!) : سلام

Aw snap.  It appears this does not work for me in 3.4.1 either. Not sure what is different in the builds despite the same version. Oh well.
Comment 4 Bersam 2011-08-15 05:01:51 UTC
[Workaround ] - Downgrade icu 4.8.1-1 package in Archlinux to 4.8.1.
Comment 5 Björn Michaelsen 2011-12-23 12:24:53 UTC
[This is an automated message.]
This bug was filed before the changes to Bugzilla on 2011-10-16. Thus it
started right out as NEW without ever being explicitly confirmed. The bug is
changed to state NEEDINFO for this reason. To move this bug from NEEDINFO back
to NEW please check if the bug still persists with the 3.5.0 beta1 or beta2 prereleases.
Details on how to test the 3.5.0 beta1 can be found at:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/BugHunting_Session_3.5.0.-1

more detail on this bulk operation: http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/RFC-Operation-Spamzilla-tp3607474p3607474.html
Comment 6 Caolán McNamara 2012-02-27 04:58:11 UTC
hmm, is there two bugs here, because Bersam's original bug is apparently http://bugs.icu-project.org/trac/ticket/8764 which would only affect people using the distro-included icu when that version is 4.8.1, 

While the version of icu bundled into the "universal" build from our website is 4.4.2 and that'd be the one provided under Mac.

Anyway. Let's just take the initially reported problem of distro-provided LibreOffice using distro-provided icu of version 4.8.1 under this heading and point to the icu problem: http://bugs.icu-project.org/trac/ticket/8764