I have installed LO 3.4.3 on some very old PCs (P3, 500 MHz, 512 MB RAM) running Windows XP and found out that the quickstarter is almost useless for many cases.
When I open a new file by using the menu of the quickstarter, the new document opens within seconds (as expected; the same performance of a new document opened when another document is already showing).
But when I start the Writer by clicking the application icon or try to open a document by clicking the file in the file manager, it takes as long as it takes to start LO the first time without quickstarter (1:20 minutes).
This makes the quickstarter almost useless for most cases.
The speed difference is very obvious even on recent machines (2Ghz 2-core cpu, 4Gigs of RAM, decent hdd, windows XP):
Opening via QuickStarter = instant,
Opening via start menu when QuickStarter running = 8-9 seconds (*)
Opening via start menu when QuickStarter is off = 8-9 seconds
* even when launching/opening repeatedly, when all files are cached and real-time virus protection off.
Most of the 8-9 seconds, CPU is running 100% on soffice.bin process.
Same long values for starting LO by opening an associated document.
Same long time when keeping another LibreOffice document opened in the background (instead of QuickStarter).
Same machine, LibreOffice 3.3.4:
Opening via QuickStarter = instant
Opening via start menu when QuickStarter running = 1.5 seconds
Opening via start menu when QuickStarter off = 6 seconds
Obviously, something that was working in LO 3.3 is broken in LO 3.4. Looks like LO is "cold starting" even though it could "warm start".
We use LO for batch processing and printing files from other applications. Before, each file took negligible 1 sec to open (when quickstarter was running) ... now it takes ten times more. When multiplied by the batch size, it is unusable and we have to downgrade all machines back to LO 3.3 until this issue is solved.
[This is an automated message.]
This bug was filed before the changes to Bugzilla on 2011-10-16. Thus it
started right out as NEW without ever being explicitly confirmed. The bug is
changed to state NEEDINFO for this reason. To move this bug from NEEDINFO back
to NEW please check if the bug still persists with the 3.5.0 beta1 or beta2 prereleases.
Details on how to test the 3.5.0 beta1 can be found at:
more detail on this bulk operation: http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/RFC-Operation-Spamzilla-tp3607474p3607474.html
Seems to be fixed in LOdev 3.5 beta1 !
Compared startup times on a 5-year old machine, for LO 3.3, 3.4 and 3.5beta1.
Times for 3.5 beta 1 are now similar to 3.5 and the quickstart helps to reduce it dramatically as it should be.
v3.3 v3.4 v3.5b1
cold start: 18s 18s ?s
Warm start: 6s 12s 7s
Warm start with QS: 2s 12s 2s
Start from tray menu: 1s 1s 1s
Thanks to anyone involved!
I've done some test on Windows XP SP2 (on VirtualBox) using the last 3.5.0 release and the bug is still here
see bug 46507
I have attached a proof of concetp in bug 46507 to workaround this bug
try it !
Same behavior with Version 126.96.36.199 -- Windows 7 32bit AND 64bit: The quickstart-menu is the ONLY way to start LO in a fast way. Starting LO/Writer/... via taskbar or start-menu (with quickstart on!) is as slow as normal. Seems like quickstart speeds up a different process with no benefit for daily usage.
I don't see that QA has confirmed this - moving to UNCONFIRMED. Thanks all
please retest with current LibO 188.8.131.52 release and tell if issue is still present.
comment says the bug is gone in 3.5.x while comment 6 say it's still present in 4.0.x
we need a retest with updated LibO release
thnaks for your understanding
Dear Bug Submitter,
This bug has been in NEEDINFO status with no change for at least 6 months. Please provide the requested information as soon as possible and mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED. Due to regular bug tracker maintenance, if the bug is still in NEEDINFO status with no change in 30 days the QA team will close the bug as INVALID due to lack of needed information.
For more information about our NEEDINFO policy please read the wiki located here:
If you have already provided the requested information, please mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED so that the QA team knows that the bug is ready to be confirmed.
Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!
This NEEDINFO message was generated on: 2015-07-18
Dear Bug Submitter,
Please read this message in its entirety before proceeding.
Your bug report is being closed as INVALID due to inactivity and a lack of information which is needed in order to accurately reproduce and confirm the problem. We encourage you to retest your bug against the latest release. If the issue is still present in the latest stable release, we need the following information (please ignore any that you've already provided):
a) Provide details of your system including your operating system and the latest version of LibreOffice that you have confirmed the bug to be present
b) Provide easy to reproduce steps – the simpler the better
c) Provide any test case(s) which will help us confirm the problem
d) Provide screenshots of the problem if you think it might help
e) Read all comments and provide any requested information
Once all of this is done, please set the bug back to UNCONFIRMED and we will attempt to reproduce the issue.
Please do not:
a) respond via email
b) update the version field in the bug or any of the other details on the top section of FDO
Message generated on: 2015-09-03