This has taken a long time finding because of the unnatural use of CPU putting several computers almost out of usage for several hours.
In the attached document (trying to attach it but it's 8MB so if it doesn't upload, open it from http://support.chamilo.org/attachments/1885/Chamilo_1.8_guide-Espanol_ATV5.odt), on page 42, there is a blue arrow icon pointing to the left.
I added this image there and updated its settings to anchor it to the paragraph and to text adaptation "continuous" (as far as I can remember).
Since then, this 250 pages document which used to work perfectly started causing problems. When opening the document and changing *anything* that might affect the position of this icon on page 42, the CPU jumps to 100% usage.
I ave tried replacing OpenJDK by the latest Sun version of Java, but although it loaded my document a bit less, it didn't solve the problem.
I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 beta with LibreOffice 3.4.3 but I have a friend with Ubuntu 11.04 and the corresponding LibreOffice version and he has exactly the same problem with this document.
As you'll see, it's the documentation for another free software project and we'd love to publish it (it sums up to 450 hours of work) but we were in the reviewing stage when I added the icon and now it's impossible to finish the review, so we'd really be glad to find a helping hand. I can think of weird solutions but nothing prove they'll work.
The icon is now impossible to remove, apparently (we've tried but it looks like there is an infinite number of icons there and the processor load doesn't help for more testing).
I decided to take this a bit further and dived into the source of my document (content.xml) and found the image has been replicated more than a 1000 times with different z-index. This is an excerpt of my file with only one time the repeated section:
<draw:frame draw:style-name="fr18" draw:name="images211993" text:anchor-type="char" svg:x="5.457cm" svg:y="0.547cm" svg:width="0.616cm" svg:height="0.616cm" draw:z-index="980"><draw:image xlink:href="Pictures/1000020100000020000000201B45D04B.png" xlink:type="simple" xlink:show="embed" xlink:actuate="onLoad"/></draw:frame>
I deleted it using vim but it's taken me a very long time (it's a one-line XML after all).
Just for the temporary fix if somebody else has the problem:
* unzip the .odt doc in a separate folder (using command line, otherwise it's possible your unzip application will not accept to do that).
* locate some unique text around the image you think is causing the problem
* edit the content.xml with VIM and search for the unique text (use "/" then the text you are searching for
* identify the icon/img tag (see above for an example) and confirm it is replicated many times.
* use "d323[right arrow]" to delete the 323 characters of the image tag (in my example that's the size of the tag, but you should count your own)
Obviously, this is only a non-scalable, very impractical solution, but if you're in a hurry, you might like that.
[This is an automated message.]
This bug was filed before the changes to Bugzilla on 2011-10-16. Thus it
started right out as NEW without ever being explicitly confirmed. The bug is
changed to state NEEDINFO for this reason. To move this bug from NEEDINFO back
to NEW please check if the bug still persists with the 3.5.0 beta1 or beta2 prereleases.
Details on how to test the 3.5.0 beta1 can be found at:
more detail on this bulk operation: http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/RFC-Operation-Spamzilla-tp3607474p3607474.html
link not works, my be exist another way how I can get it, for example Email it to me
As workaround try delete links from Edit->Links if there are links
> it's a one-line XML after all
Tools->Option dialog Options->Load/save->General, field "Size optimization for ODF format" disable it, xml will saved more handy
Dear bug submitter!
Due to the fact, that there are a lot of NEEDINFO bugs with no answer within the last six months, we close all of these bugs.
To keep this message short, more infos are available @ https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/NeedinfoClosure#Statement
Thanks for understanding and hopefully updating your bug, so that everything is prepared for developers to fix your problem.