Bug 47547 - The Spanish Installer shows kanji instead of accented characters
Summary: The Spanish Installer shows kanji instead of accented characters
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Installation (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
3.5.1 release
Hardware: x86 (IA32) Windows (All)
: low normal
Assignee: Andras Timar
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
: 47803 (view as bug list)
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2012-03-19 21:48 UTC by Juan Manuel Barreto
Modified: 2012-05-18 17:17 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
Screenshot of Install Wizard (28.40 KB, image/png)
2012-03-19 21:48 UTC, Juan Manuel Barreto
Details
Additional screenshot (21.15 KB, image/png)
2012-03-19 21:48 UTC, Juan Manuel Barreto
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Juan Manuel Barreto 2012-03-19 21:48:09 UTC
Created attachment 58721 [details]
Screenshot of Install Wizard

The Install Wizard for the Spanish Version of LibreOffice 3.5.1 shows invalid international characters.
Instead of accented characters it shows kanji symbols.

As an additional note, the installer window has the title:
LibreOffice 3.5 - Microsoft PowerPoint Show
Comment 1 Juan Manuel Barreto 2012-03-19 21:48:53 UTC
Created attachment 58722 [details]
Additional screenshot
Comment 2 Andras Timar 2012-03-20 04:26:28 UTC
I could not reproduce this bug. I'm afraid that the reporter's install package is corrupted.
Comment 3 Juan Manuel Barreto 2012-03-21 18:56:38 UTC
Here are the MD5 and is the SHA1 checksum for the installer.

MD5:
f8042bf5823cde1260812566f8a874c9 *LibO_3.5.1_Win_x86_install_multi.msi

SHA1:
bfbd06defac054970289a52688de937250c5d238 *LibO_3.5.1_Win_x86_install_multi.msi

I've had this issue for all the .msi installers. (3.5.x)

I have an Spanish install of Windows XP Pro SP3. Regional Settings to Spanish Mexico.
Comment 4 Urmas 2012-03-24 18:41:35 UTC
*** Bug 47803 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 5 Andras Timar 2012-03-26 09:24:19 UTC
I could not reproduce this bug on English Windows XP SP3, Spanish (Mexico) regional settings. 

On the other hand, I tried what happens if I set the code page of the installer to 65001 (utf-8) for a language, which used to have a 8-bit code page (e.g. windows-1252). Unfortunately the layout manager of the installer occasionally broke the strings within the word boundary after an accented character. This looks like a bug in Microsoft installer, and it prevents us to migrate every language to Unicode.

I still need more info about the environment, where this bug is reproducible.
Comment 6 Juan Manuel Barreto 2012-03-26 19:13:28 UTC
My system is:

Spanish Windows XP SP3
Regional Settings: Spanish Mexico
Comment 7 Andras Timar 2012-05-18 10:29:20 UTC
MD5 proved that the installer was not corrupt. Still, I could not reproduce the problem, and this problem was reported only by you and something similar by another user. I think these are isolated cases.
Comment 8 Juan Manuel Barreto 2012-05-18 17:17:45 UTC
Thanks. Going back to version 3.4.x as this one doesn't have these issues.