Created attachment 66135 [details]
Original and corrupt file after save
Attached XLS file that I got from a user gets corrupted when saved in 3.5.6. He has other files that exhibit the same behavior (but not all of his files), but they contain personal info, so this is the only one I got permission to post.
I didn't test in older versions, but I can't reproduce the same corruption in 3.6 versions. Still, this causes data loss, so it should be investigated anyway.
Currious is especially the great size expansion that happens to this file (72 kB -> 15 MB).
There is a simmilar bug 52484 that also causes big size expansion, but the file is still readable, unlike in this case.
Scratch the data loss, the corrupted file can be opened with 3.6, I wonder why I didn't try that before. But it still cannot be opened with 3.5.6.
The same issues there ODS file size 70Kb but saved as XLS with 3.5.6 file size is about 15MB and becomes unreadable on 3.5.6.
Confirmed the same behavior
Described in Bug 53883 https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=53883
If we save file in LibO 184.108.40.206 it is impossible to open it in this version of office suite. In LibO 220.127.116.11 & MSOffice 2007 SP3 file is opened without any problems (if not to pay attention to time of opening due to the size of file)
Confirmed on LibreOffice 3.5.6 on Windows; a 44 KB file becomes 7 MB and unreadable by v3.5.6 (but I can recover the data with the 3.5.4 installed on my Linux box).
On pc Debian x86-64 with master updated yesterday, 3.6, 3.5 sources, both of these updated today, here are the results:
original file: 73728 bytes
master: OK 72192 bytes
3.6: OK 72192 bytes
3.5: KO (file of 15MO)
khagaroth: could you give a try to 3.6.2?
Rainer: if 3.6.2 is ok, how should we consider this bug? WFM or try to contact a dev to backport the fix(es) to 3.5 (for 3.5.7)?
In my opinion, the fix should be backported to 3.5.7, it's not acceptable to have bugs that corrupt files so easily in what should be the "stable" branch. (Yes, the data can be recovered, but you have a fixed version of LO at hand and it's a major annoyance)
By the way, when was this bug solved in the 3.6 series? I skimmed through the fixes done in the various 3.6.* releases (at least, those reported in the release notes on the wiki) but I didn't find anything related to this bug.
It's only 3.5.6 that's broken for me. 3.6.x work fine.
This bug is still in there in 3.5.7.
Particularly annoying since many users still depend on 3.5 as stable in production environments.
Our problem is a bit different - but I am sure it is the same bug.
1. in 3.5.7 open a .XLSX file of 229 mb
2. Save as it as an XLS file. File size gets 15 mb.
3. The XLS file can not be opened in 3.5.7. It can be opened in Excel, though.
Rainer: oups, forgot to put you on cc whereas I had a question for your comment5.
(In reply to comment #8)
> This bug is still in there in 3.5.7.
> Particularly annoying since many users still depend on 3.5 as stable in
> production environments.
Have you been able to try in 3.6.x in the mean time?
Dear Bug Submitter,
This bug has been in NEEDINFO status with no change for at least 6 months. Please provide the requested information as soon as possible and mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED. Due to regular bug tracker maintenance, if the bug is still in NEEDINFO status with no change in 30 days the QA team will close the bug as INVALID due to lack of needed information.
For more information about our NEEDINFO policy please read the wiki located here:
If you have already provided the requested information, please mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED so that the QA team knows that the bug is ready to be confirmed.
Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!
Looks fine in master version.