Bug 54152 - Installation under Windows via GPO group policy leads to partial arabic installation on non-arabic systems
Summary: Installation under Windows via GPO group policy leads to partial arabic insta...
Status: RESOLVED NOTOURBUG
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Installation (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
3.6.0.4 release
Hardware: x86-64 (AMD64) Windows (All)
: medium enhancement
Assignee: Andras Timar
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2012-08-28 09:52 UTC by Thomas
Modified: 2016-09-19 16:48 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:
Regression By:


Attachments
Screenshot samples showing the tooltips, GPO dialog and uninstaller screens (232.28 KB, application/zip)
2012-08-28 09:52 UTC, Thomas
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Thomas 2012-08-28 09:52:21 UTC
Created attachment 66209 [details]
Screenshot samples showing the tooltips, GPO dialog and uninstaller screens

When installing LibreOffice via Group policy deployment under windows, on adding the MSI file to the GPO, it initially shows "Language: Arabic"

It then gets installed with the locale of the target machine - but not some parts of the installation stay arabic (e.g. the tooltips of the program shortcuts and the uninstaller messages)

See attached screenshots.

Manipulating MSI properties, such as the ISxxxx-Properties and PRODUCTLANGUAGE did not make any difference.

Also you still need to delete parts of the "Languages" information of the MSI package to make it install at all (see Bug 45750)

That way LibreOffice is currently not an option for corporate deployment (at least not for me)
Comment 1 Jean-Baptiste Faure 2012-08-31 05:47:09 UTC
Known problem actually discussed on developers mailing-list:
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Selection-of-dictionaries-per-installation-tp4004472.html

Set to enhancement because installer works as designed.

Best regards. JBF
Comment 2 Thomas 2012-09-12 10:57:24 UTC
(In reply to comment #1)
> Known problem actually discussed on developers mailing-list:
> http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Selection-of-dictionaries-per-installation-tp4004472.html

After having read the above discussion twice I really can't see any relation to the problem I documented.

> Set to enhancement because installer works as designed.

Hmm... then I would say that the installer is not designed as it should be :-)
Comment 3 Andras Timar 2012-09-12 16:36:47 UTC
(In reply to comment #2)
> After having read the above discussion twice I really can't see any relation to
> the problem I documented.
> 
> > Set to enhancement because installer works as designed.

You are right, that is totally unrelated.

> 
> Hmm... then I would say that the installer is not designed as it should be :-)

Did not you have by any chance Arabic regional settings? I'm a bit puzzled on this bug, Arabic is not special by any means. It is not the first item of language list.
Comment 4 Thomas 2012-09-20 10:24:31 UTC
(In reply to comment #3)

> Did not you have by any chance Arabic regional settings?

Nope - all systems are running on german Windows 7 64 bit.

The installer itself is not run under the context of a specific user, but by the system - so I would expect the installation language to be the OS language.

> I'm a bit puzzled on
> this bug, Arabic is not special by any means. It is not the first item of
> language list.

I have made quite a lot of deployments via GPO so far - and basically I have seen two different things in the "Language" display when adding the package to the GPO:

- Neutral 
- English

If you need any additional information - just ask, I'm more than willing to help :-)
Comment 5 Thomas 2012-09-20 10:27:12 UTC
Btw - is there any way to get an email notification if there are additional comments here?
Comment 6 QA Administrators 2013-05-29 23:04:58 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 7 Thomas 2013-05-31 08:11:11 UTC
Hi,

still nothing happened here, why has this been set to  NEEDINFO, nobody asked for additional information.

I can't see that anyone even tried to reproduce this.

What information is needed to get this forward?

Thomas
Comment 8 Robinson Tryon (qubit) 2015-01-20 07:51:41 UTC
Andras: As you're the Assignee, what's the current status?
Comment 9 Andras Timar 2015-01-20 09:53:35 UTC
The bug is related to Bug 45750, i.e. the multi-language installer feature. We list multiple LCIDs in the Summary Information - Languages field, in order to have localized installer UI. Interestingly Windows server does not pick the first LCID from the list, which is 1033 (en-US), but it picks the lowest LCID value from the list, which is 1025 (Arabic - Saudi Arabia). I think this behaviour is stupid, and it is a bug in Windows, because one cannot control the default installer language this way. 

In case of installing through GPO, you can workaround the bug. You can use Orca or InstEd and alter the Language field to 1033 that is English only. This does not mean your LibreOffice will be installed in English only. It just means that the setup runs in English only. This is no problem at all as you are running this setup silent and nobody sees the user interface. 

You have to edit Language field anyway because of the Bug 45750, so I see no point to hack this list further, e.g. I could use LCID 9 (English - Neutral), then it would the lowest value in the list.
Comment 10 Thomas 2015-01-20 11:13:26 UTC
(In reply to Andras Timar from comment #9)

> I think this behaviour is stupid, and it is a bug in Windows, because one
> cannot control the default installer language this way. 

Looks like a common problem, in this case Citrix also tells us to fiddle with the msi file:

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX129255

But according to the following page, one *should* be able to do it: 

http://www.installsite.org/pages/en/msi/articles/embeddedlang/

> In case of installing through GPO, you can workaround the bug. You can use
> Orca or InstEd and alter the Language field to 1033 that is English only.

I just changed this to 1031 (German) via InstEd and at least when adding the msi to the group policy the display tells me "German" as the language.

The question is, when I have an Italian Windows system, will LibreOffice be installed in German?

If that's the case, then the multi-language installer is not suitable for deployment via GPO and is a waste of disk space because all the languages are in there but can't be used.

Sorry but I can't do nothing else but wholeheartedly agree with this comment: https://www.libreoffice.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=45750#c35
Comment 11 Andras Timar 2015-01-20 11:45:01 UTC
(In reply to Thomas from comment #10)
> The question is, when I have an Italian Windows system, will LibreOffice be
> installed in German?

It has to be tested. However, you can fine tune installation by setting MSI properties, e.g. when you have Italian/German mixed environment, you can force to install both languages to all, and LibreOffice will start German on German systems and in Italian on Italian systems. 

> 
> Sorry but I can't do nothing else but wholeheartedly agree with this
> comment: https://www.libreoffice.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=45750#c35

Sorry, I disagree. The Document Foundation suggests to deploy LibreOffice in enterprises and large organizations when backed by professional support by certified individuals (a list is available at http://www.documentfoundation.org/certification/) capable of providing value added support. Without paying for support, one has to resort to the free community support, but volunteers usually are not interested in enterprise deployment problems.
Comment 12 Robinson Tryon (qubit) 2015-12-18 10:24:07 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 13 Xisco Faulí 2016-09-19 16:48:07 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)