Bug Hunting Session
Bug 54449 - Mismatch version between libexttextcat0 and libexttextcat-data
Summary: Mismatch version between libexttextcat0 and libexttextcat-data
Status: RESOLVED NOTOURBUG
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Installation (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
3.6.0.4 release
Hardware: x86-64 (AMD64) Linux (All)
: medium normal
Assignee: Björn Michaelsen
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2012-09-03 15:44 UTC by Simon
Modified: 2013-02-23 19:16 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Simon 2012-09-03 15:44:37 UTC
Ubuntu 12.04 64 bits
LibreOffice installed from PPA: https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa

$ apt-rdepends libreoffice-core | grep libexttext
  Depends: libexttextcat0 (>= 2.2-8)
libexttextcat0
  Depends: libexttextcat-data (= 3.2.0-1ubuntu1)
libexttextcat-data

When I execute an apt upgrade there is an update of 1 packages: libexttextcat-data to version 3.3.1-2~precise1
But libexttextcat0 depends of libexttextcat-data and there is a problem of versions because libexttextcat0 doesn't exist in your PPA repository and the version in Ubuntu repositories is: 3.2.0-1ubuntu1

$ apt-cache policy libexttextcat-data
libexttextcat-data:
  Instalados: (ninguno)
  Candidato: 3.3.1-2~precise1
  Tabla de versión:
     3.3.1-2~precise1 0
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/libreoffice/ppa/ubuntu/ precise/main amd64 Packages
     3.2.0-1ubuntu1 0
        500 http://ubuntu.grn.cat/ubuntu/ precise/main amd64 Packages

$ apt-cache policy libexttextcat0
libexttextcat0:
  Instalados: (ninguno)
  Candidato: 3.2.0-1ubuntu1
  Tabla de versión:
     3.2.0-1ubuntu1 0
        500 http://ubuntu.grn.cat/ubuntu/ precise/main amd64 Packages
---
Comment 1 Alex Thurgood 2012-09-03 16:19:28 UTC
Confirming, but this is a PPA problem isn't it ?

Alex
Comment 2 Alex Thurgood 2012-09-03 16:20:19 UTC
@Bjoern : any idea ?

Alex
Comment 3 Simon 2012-09-03 16:21:01 UTC
But this PPA isn't maintained for you?
Comment 4 Alex Thurgood 2012-09-03 16:22:18 UTC
I have the same problem on Linux Mint 12 64bit with the PPA repo activated.
Comment 5 Alex Thurgood 2012-09-03 16:24:50 UTC
(In reply to comment #3)
> But this PPA isn't maintained for you?

Not as far as I know, but I could be wrong, I'm just a QA volunteer.

Alex
Comment 6 Alex Thurgood 2012-09-03 16:25:30 UTC
See here for active members, etc

https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+members#active
Comment 7 Björn Michaelsen 2012-09-05 07:15:13 UTC
Please contact:

 https://launchpad.net/~ricotz

who is taking care of the precise backports.

Best,

Bjoern (from vacation)
Comment 8 Simon 2012-09-06 14:46:34 UTC
I have sent it a message through the "Contact this user" in this url: https://launchpad.net/~ricotz
Comment 9 chrissc.humbert 2012-09-11 06:54:54 UTC
Hello 
I have contacted also https://launchpad.net/~ricotz for 5 days and nothing happened yet.
Could this bug get some love as I am not able to have libre office installed and it is quite annoying to work

Kind Regards
Comment 10 chrissc.humbert 2012-09-19 06:34:40 UTC
Hello,

Would it be possible to have an ETA. I am quite a newbie on Linux but If I can help/test whatever tell me...it is now more than 2 weeks!!!

At least give some information please

Kind Regards
Comment 11 Simon 2012-09-19 13:04:31 UTC
In Ubuntu Precise is solved. He has suppressed these libraries from repository.
Comment 12 chrissc.humbert 2012-09-19 14:17:13 UTC
Simon,

Maybe it is not replicated everywhere but I have just done the operation after apt-get update of course

sudo apt-get install libreoffice
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
 libreoffice : Depends: libreoffice-core (= 1:3.6.0~rc4-0ubuntu3~ppa1~precise1) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libreoffice-writer but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libreoffice-calc but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libreoffice-impress but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libreoffice-draw but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libreoffice-math but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libreoffice-base but it is not going to be installed
               Recommends: libreoffice-gnome but it is not going to be installed or
                           libreoffice-kde but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.


so ...still not working for me
Comment 13 Simon 2012-09-19 14:18:55 UTC
(In reply to comment #12)
> Simon,
> 
> Maybe it is not replicated everywhere but I have just done the operation after
> apt-get update of course
> 
> sudo apt-get install libreoffice
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree       
> Reading state information... Done
> Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
> requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
> distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
> or been moved out of Incoming.
> The following information may help to resolve the situation:
> 
> The following packages have unmet dependencies.
>  libreoffice : Depends: libreoffice-core (= 1:3.6.0~rc4-0ubuntu3~ppa1~precise1)
> but it is not going to be installed
>                Depends: libreoffice-writer but it is not going to be installed
>                Depends: libreoffice-calc but it is not going to be installed
>                Depends: libreoffice-impress but it is not going to be installed
>                Depends: libreoffice-draw but it is not going to be installed
>                Depends: libreoffice-math but it is not going to be installed
>                Depends: libreoffice-base but it is not going to be installed
>                Recommends: libreoffice-gnome but it is not going to be
> installed or
>                            libreoffice-kde but it is not going to be installed
> E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
> 
> 
> so ...still not working for me

Your problem is different.
Comment 14 chrissc.humbert 2012-09-19 14:28:59 UTC
Simon

How so?

Because if i am digging later on

sudo apt-get install libreoffice-core
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
 libreoffice-core : Depends: libexttextcat0 (>= 2.2-8) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
christophe@Chris-Linux:~$ sudo apt-get install libexttextcat0
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
 libexttextcat0 : Depends: libexttextcat-data (= 3.2.0-1ubuntu1) but 3.3.1-2~precise1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

SO I have the same exact problem or explain me why not
Comment 15 Simon 2012-09-19 15:12:06 UTC
(In reply to comment #14)
> Simon
> 
> How so?
> 
> Because if i am digging later on
> 
> sudo apt-get install libreoffice-core
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree       
> Reading state information... Done
> Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
> requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
> distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
> or been moved out of Incoming.
> The following information may help to resolve the situation:
> 
> The following packages have unmet dependencies.
>  libreoffice-core : Depends: libexttextcat0 (>= 2.2-8) but it is not going to
> be installed
> E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
> christophe@Chris-Linux:~$ sudo apt-get install libexttextcat0
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree       
> Reading state information... Done
> Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
> requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
> distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
> or been moved out of Incoming.
> The following information may help to resolve the situation:
> 
> The following packages have unmet dependencies.
>  libexttextcat0 : Depends: libexttextcat-data (= 3.2.0-1ubuntu1) but
> 3.3.1-2~precise1 is to be installed
> E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
> 
> SO I have the same exact problem or explain me why not

ok, these errors did not appear in your previous comment.
Have you tried you uninstall and reinstall libreoffice?
Comment 16 chrissc.humbert 2012-09-19 15:15:47 UTC
Hello Simon

Yes libreoffice is totally uninstalled from my machine and this is why it is crucial for me...

I have tried both the standard ubuntu rep and the libreoffice rep and both give errors

So if you have any idea...
Comment 17 Simon 2012-09-19 15:20:15 UTC
I don't understand. I have revised the PPA repository and it hasn't these libraries now.
Test this:
Deactivate PPA libreoffice and uninstall the libexttextcat libraries.
Update the repositories and install the libexttextcat libraries.
Then activate the PPA libreoffice again and install it.
Comment 18 chrissc.humbert 2012-09-19 15:29:59 UTC
Hello Simon,

Thanks for your help

with libreoffice repository deactivated I have this

sudo apt-get install libexttextcat
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package libexttextcat


Kind Regards
Comment 19 chrissc.humbert 2012-09-20 06:40:39 UTC
Simon,

It worked,

Thanks a lot for your help

Kind Regards Chris
Comment 20 Mark 2012-09-21 18:01:10 UTC
I have just attempted the fix.. 
Deactivated PPA for LO
Refreshed repo's
Uninstalled libexttextcat (which also uninstalls LO)
refreshed repo's
re-installed libexttextcat (attempted with errors that it couldn't be done.)

re-instated PPA
refreshed repo's
searched for libexttextcat with a return of no package
searched for LO, tagged it for install (version 3.5.4)
Synaptic asks to Mark additional required changes (libexttextcat-data)
marked libexttextcat-data
 Received the following errors

ibreoffice:
 Depends: libreoffice-core but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: libreoffice-writer but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: libreoffice-calc but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: libreoffice-impress but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: libreoffice-draw but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: libreoffice-math but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: libreoffice-base but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: libreoffice-filter-mobiledev but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: libreoffice-java-common but it is not going to be installed
 Recommends: libreoffice-gnome but it is not going to be installed or
 	libreoffice-kde but it is not going to be installed

Now what?  To get LO reinstalled I've had to disable the PPA and go with the default version in kubuntu 11.10
Comment 21 Simon 2012-09-21 18:50:41 UTC
If you read carefully my comment #14:

> Deactivate PPA libreoffice and uninstall the libexttextcat libraries.
> Update the repositories and install the libexttextcat libraries.
> Then activate the PPA libreoffice again and install it.

When I said "libexttextcat libraries", I was referring to both libraries that begin with this name: libexttextcat0 and libexttextcat-data.
Do you understand now?
Regards.
Comment 22 Simon 2012-09-22 11:18:53 UTC
My advice is that you remove the libreoffice from PPA and then remove PPA itself. It's better install the official packages from http://www.libreoffice.org/download/

This PPA is unstable. I have detected another bug with this PPA version: the dropdown lists (text colors, background colors,...) aren't showed.
Comment 23 Björn Michaelsen 2013-02-23 19:16:54 UTC
(In reply to comment #22)
> My advice is that you remove the libreoffice from PPA and then remove PPA
> itself. It's better install the official packages from
> http://www.libreoffice.org/download/

Thats no good advise at all. Ubuntu users should go with the distro packages and if they want something newer the backport from the ppa. Using the upstream versions which have essentially no dependency information at all would create a even bigger set of troubles for the average user.

Anyway marking RESOLVED NOTOURBUG as it has been not upstream, but a vendor bug.