Bug 55269 - Calc AutoFilter Performance Affected by Windows 7 Settings
Summary: Calc AutoFilter Performance Affected by Windows 7 Settings
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Calc (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
3.6.1.2 release
Hardware: All Windows (All)
: medium minor
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: AutoFilter
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2012-09-24 03:44 UTC by preechaw
Modified: 2021-11-25 15:13 UTC (History)
4 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:
Regression By:


Attachments
Sample Document (814.76 KB, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.spreadsheet)
2012-09-24 05:18 UTC, Rainer Bielefeld Retired
Details
This document should be able to reproduce the problem (2.86 MB, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.spreadsheet)
2012-09-24 13:55 UTC, preechaw
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description preechaw 2012-09-24 03:44:17 UTC
In Calc, when I perform AutoFilter on a column with large number of distinct values (almost 30,000 values), it takes forever, in certain condition, to generate the dropdown list. 

On another machine, the dropdown list is generated in a few seconds (less than 5 seconds, which is very acceptable). 

I compared the two machines found that the Windows 7 performance option named "Use visual styles on windows and buttons" is different on the two machines. 
(You can find this setting in System Properties -> Performance Options.) 

With the option turned off, the AutoFilter dropdown list is generated fast. 
With the option turned on, it is never generated successfully with 30,000 distinct values. 

Can this be fixed? 
Most Windows 7 users leave this performance option turned on by default.

Note: This problem does not occur in Windows XP even if the visual setting is turned on.
Comment 1 Rainer Bielefeld Retired 2012-09-24 05:18:41 UTC
Created attachment 67604 [details]
Sample Document

NOT reproducible with  Server Installation of "LibreOffice 3.6.2.1 rc  English UI/ German Locale [Build-ID:  ba822cc] on German WIN7 Home Premium (64bit) and attached sample document.

I clicked the Filtr3 button, Standard Filter, Condition  "Filter3  = 12345", works fine with "Use visual styles on windows and buttons" active

@Reporter:
Any Ideas?
Comment 2 preechaw 2012-09-24 13:55:36 UTC
Created attachment 67633 [details]
This document should be able to reproduce the problem

With Windows 7 "Visual styles" turned off, performing AutoFilter on all columns is all right although the hourglass may appear for a few seconds.
With the setting turned on, AutoFilter on col1 will make Calc hang.

I waited for 5 minutes and the AutoFilter popup appeared. But when I clicked an item in the list, it hanged again. I decided not to wait and kill the app.
Comment 3 preechaw 2012-09-24 14:05:03 UTC
The document I attached will reproduce the problem.
Turn off the "visual styles" first and test AutoFilter on col1.
It should work with some lag.

Then "turn on" the setting and test AutoFilter on col1 again.
Calc should hang.

I tried to figure out the condition.
This situation should be true. Please verify it.

*All* of the following condition must be true to reproduce the problem.
1. Windows 7 "visual styles" is turned ON.
2. The column to apply AutoFilter must contain Unicode characters.
   (I tested English alphanumeric. Calc did not hang.)
3. The average length of data in the column should be large.
   (10 chars does not make the problem. 100 chars makes the problem.)
4. The number of distinct values of cells that contain 
   Unicode characters should be large.
   (I tested long data but with only 100 distinct values. No problem.)

I hope you can reproduce it.
Thanks.
Comment 4 preechaw 2012-09-30 10:16:01 UTC
(In reply to comment #1)
> Created attachment 67604 [details]
> Sample Document
> 
> NOT reproducible with  Server Installation of "LibreOffice 3.6.2.1 rc 
> English UI/ German Locale [Build-ID:  ba822cc] on German WIN7 Home Premium
> (64bit) and attached sample document.
> 
> I clicked the Filtr3 button, Standard Filter, Condition  "Filter3  = 12345",
> works fine with "Use visual styles on windows and buttons" active
> 
> @Reporter:
> Any Ideas?

Have you looked at the attached file?
Comment 5 pierre-yves samyn 2012-09-30 13:13:10 UTC
Hello

I reproduce the bug with Version 3.6.2.2 (Build ID: da8c1e6) & Windows 7 64bit
and your file (with-unicode-chars.ods) but not all columns: on Column A specially (col1)

I suspect, therefore, that the type of character is concerned.

I replaced the non-Latin characters with numbers and copied and pasted the data for approximately 120,000 lines. With this file I do not reproduce the bug.

Regards
Pierre-Yves
Comment 6 preechaw 2012-10-01 07:24:17 UTC
(In reply to comment #5)
> Hello
> 
> I reproduce the bug with Version 3.6.2.2 (Build ID: da8c1e6) & Windows 7
> 64bit
> and your file (with-unicode-chars.ods) but not all columns: on Column A
> specially (col1)
> 
> I suspect, therefore, that the type of character is concerned.
> 
> I replaced the non-Latin characters with numbers and copied and pasted the
> data for approximately 120,000 lines. With this file I do not reproduce the
> bug.
> 
> Regards
> Pierre-Yves

Thanks for your response.
Since we know how to reproduce it, should this issue's status changed from Unconfirmed to something else?
Comment 7 pierre-yves samyn 2012-10-01 07:45:41 UTC
(In reply to comment #6)

> Since we know how to reproduce it, should this issue's status changed from
> Unconfirmed to something else?

I believe so, sorry this is an oversight on my part ...

Regards
Pierre-Yves
Comment 8 tommy27 2014-10-30 06:29:19 UTC
please retest with current LibO 4.3.2.2 and give an update of the bug status, if still reproducible or not.
Comment 9 QA Administrators 2015-12-20 16:10:55 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 10 QA Administrators 2017-01-03 19:47:35 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 11 QA Administrators 2019-12-03 14:06:27 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 12 b. 2020-05-19 13:12:56 UTC
still repro with 6.2.8.2 and 7.0.0.0.a1+, 

besides frustration about 8 year old bugs ... for this case i'd say: 

forget about such windows style gimmicks ... 

Version: 7.0.0.0.alpha1 (x64)
Build ID: 6a03b2a54143a9bc0c6d4c7f1...
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 6.1 Service Pack 1 Build 7601; UI render: default; VCL: win; 
Locale: de-DE (de_DE); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded
Comment 13 stragu 2021-06-15 01:16:38 UTC
Windows 7's end of life was early 2020. I understand that many users will be stuck with Windows 7 for while, possibly years, but do we need to keep this one open, as it is very unlikely it will attract attention and get fixed?
Not sure if there are guidelines around operating system EOL in the LO project.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-7-end-of-life-support-information
Comment 14 pierre-yves samyn 2021-06-15 09:01:58 UTC
Hi

(In reply to stragu from comment #13)
> Windows 7's end of life was early 2020. I understand that many users will be
> stuck with Windows 7 for while, possibly years, but do we need to keep this
> one open, as it is very unlikely it will attract attention and get fixed?
> Not sure if there are guidelines around operating system EOL in the LO
> project.

Well, I no longer reproduce the bug on Windows 7 (with "Use visual styles on windows and buttons" on) & Version: 7.1.4.2 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: a529a4fab45b75fefc5b6226684193eb000654f6
CPU threads: 2; OS: Windows 6.1 Service Pack 1 Build 7601; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: fr-FR (fr_FR); UI: fr-FR
Calc: threaded
 
So... I would therefore agree to close this bug, but I am not the reporter.

Bests regards
Pierre-Yves
Comment 15 Kevin Suo 2021-11-25 15:13:59 UTC
Close as WORKSFORME per comment 14.

Even if it was not the case, this is now not an issue as the autofilter is now instant per various improvements these days on master, see bug 133835. Those who are affected by the slowness are encouraged to use a daily build (after the end of today, maybe tomorrow) to test and find regressions.