Bug 57740 - FILESAVE as .doc: comments saved incorrectly(?)
Summary: FILESAVE as .doc: comments saved incorrectly(?)
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
(earliest affected) release
Hardware: x86 (IA32) Linux (All)
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
Depends on:
Reported: 2012-11-30 15:57 UTC by Mihkel Tõnnov
Modified: 2015-06-08 14:26 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Mihkel Tõnnov 2012-11-30 15:57:20 UTC
I had a .doc file, to which I added some comments and then saved (still as Word 97/2000/XP/2003 .doc). When I opened the file in Word Viewer to see if everything was okay, every comment had its first character missing, and comment headers contained the beginning of my name + number instead of just number or initials + number. My workaround was to precede the comments with a space in Writer and save again.

When re-opening the document in Writer, the comments' initial letters (and now the spaces) are still there, so perhaps Writer saves the comments to .doc in a fashion that Word doesn't recognize?

When saving the file as .docx, everything about the comments looks okay in Word Viewer.
Comment 1 tommy27 2014-10-28 04:29:01 UTC
not reproducible under Win7x64 using LibO 3.6.1 and 4.3.2
please retest with updated LibO release.

if bug is still reproducible please uplaod test file and comparative screenshots between LibO and MS Word Viewer

P.S. next time do not set status to NEW to your own bugs. you need independent confirmation by another user. it's our policy.
Comment 2 QA Administrators 2015-05-06 14:15:04 UTC
Dear Bug Submitter,

This bug has been in NEEDINFO status with no change for at least
6 months. Please provide the requested information as soon as
possible and mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED. Due to regular bug
tracker maintenance, if the bug is still in NEEDINFO status with
no change in 30 days the QA team will close the bug as INVALID
due to lack of needed information.

For more information about our NEEDINFO policy please read the
wiki located here:

If you have already provided the requested information, please
mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED so that the QA team knows that the
bug is ready to be confirmed.
Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!

Warm Regards,
QA Team
Comment 3 QA Administrators 2015-06-08 14:26:44 UTC
Dear Bug Submitter,

Please read this message in its entirety before proceeding.

Your bug report is being closed as INVALID due to inactivity and
a lack of information which is needed in order to accurately
reproduce and confirm the problem. We encourage you to retest
your bug against the latest release. If the issue is still
present in the latest stable release, we need the following
information (please ignore any that you've already provided):

a) Provide details of your system including your operating
   system and the latest version of LibreOffice that you have
   confirmed the bug to be present

b) Provide easy to reproduce steps – the simpler the better

c) Provide any test case(s) which will help us confirm the problem

d) Provide screenshots of the problem if you think it might help

e) Read all comments and provide any requested information

Once all of this is done, please set the bug back to UNCONFIRMED
and we will attempt to reproduce the issue. Please do not:

a) respond via email 

b) update the version field in the bug or any of the other details
   on the top section of our bug tracker

-- The LibreOffice QA Team 

This INVALID Message was generated on: 2015-05-06

Warm Regards,
QA Team