Bug 65671 - Formulas expect arguments in Locale Language when Formulas are set to English names
Summary: Formulas expect arguments in Locale Language when Formulas are set to English...
Status: RESOLVED MOVED
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Calc (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
unspecified
Hardware: Other Windows (All)
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2013-06-12 11:33 UTC by Pedro
Modified: 2014-06-22 08:32 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
ODS spreadsheet ready for pasting formulas (8.76 KB, application/xml)
2013-06-12 11:35 UTC, Pedro
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Pedro 2013-06-12 11:33:11 UTC
If a user selects the "Use English function names" (under Tools> Options> LibreOffice Calc> Formula) then it is because he/she is used to typing formulas in English.

In this situation it doesn't make sense that valid arguments are expected in the language defined in Locale Settings.

How to reproduce:
Set your Locale to another language (e.g. Portuguese) (under Tools> Options> Language Settings> Languages> Locale setting)
In the attached file paste formula =VLOOKUP(C2;A2:B3;2;FALSE)in cell D2 and/or  =HLOOKUP(C5;A5:B6;2;FALSE) in D5. 

Expected result:
Should be equal to 3 if you set "Use English function names" regardless of the Locale Language

Actual result:
It's equal to 3 if your Locale is English and equal to #NAME if it is another language (because in e.g. Portuguese it expects FALSO as argument)

See this topic (including answers and comments)
http://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/18851/vlookup-does-not-work-when-user-interface-not/
Comment 1 Pedro 2013-06-12 11:35:22 UTC
Created attachment 80721 [details]
ODS spreadsheet ready for pasting formulas
Comment 2 m.a.riosv 2013-06-13 15:36:53 UTC
Hi Pedro and sorry,

but I'm absolutely disagree about it being a bug, I think it is by design, and for me the right way. At most It can be a request for enhancement.

Maybe I am in a mistake but seems to me very difficult to implement, e.g. how to do with decimal numbers, inside a function with decimal point and outside with comma.

Your sample is easy to solve using the function FALSE().

Maybe an error, but I think you know, that to set a bug as NEW, it is needed a confirmation from third.
Comment 3 Pedro 2013-06-13 16:11:37 UTC
Hi Miguel Angel

(In reply to comment #2)
> Maybe I am in a mistake but seems to me very difficult to implement, e.g.
> how to do with decimal numbers, inside a function with decimal point and
> outside with comma.

This just refers to the language of arguments. Not the separators.
 
> Your sample is easy to solve using the function FALSE()

Yes, I know. I already said that in AskLO. But that is not the usual argument. If that is the final decision it must be documented. What about other arguments? Are there other words used?

> Maybe an error, but I think you know, that to set a bug as NEW, it is needed
> a confirmation from third.

It was not my mistake. New bugs are now set to NEW by default. In any case I can not confirm bugs submitted by myself...
Comment 4 QA Administrators 2014-02-02 02:06:25 UTC
Dear Bug Submitter,

Please read the entire message before proceeding.

This bug has been in NEEDINFO status with no change for at least 6 months. Please provide the requested information as soon as possible and mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED. Due to regular bug tracker maintenance, if the bug is still in NEEDINFO status with no change in 30 days the QA team will close the bug as INVALID due to lack of needed information.

For more information about our NEEDINFO policy please read the wiki located here: 
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/FDO/NEEDINFO

If you have already provided the requested information, please mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED so that the QA team knows that the bug is ready to be confirmed.


Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!


Warm Regards,
QA Team
Comment 5 Pedro 2014-02-02 07:38:48 UTC
Dear QA Administrator

I have provided the required information in JUNE 2013!!! but never received any further feedback.
Comment 6 pierre-yves samyn 2014-06-21 17:52:48 UTC
Hi

(In reply to comment #5)
 
> I have provided the required information in JUNE 2013!!! but never received
> any further feedback.

Sorry for the delay, I just found this Issue (bug hunting this weekend).

At first reading I was not far from sharing your point of view but I am now quite sure that this request is not valid.

The argument must be typed as it is in the spreadsheet.

For example, in French (even with the option of using function names in English), you must enter VRAI/FAUX in a cell so that it is recognized.

And so, you use the same syntax in a formula.

A specious argument would also be the title of the option is clear: it is just about function names, not arguments... :)

I set status to NEEDINFO. What do you think?

Regards
Pierre-Yves
Comment 7 Pedro 2014-06-22 08:32:24 UTC
(In reply to comment #6)
> A specious argument would also be the title of the option is clear: it is
> just about function names, not arguments... :)

You are correct that the option says that. But again, repeating the original comment "If a user selects the "Use English function names" (under Tools> Options> LibreOffice Calc> Formula) then it is because he/she is used to typing formulas in English."

I changed this into an enhancement request
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=80347