I'm running OpenOffice 220.127.116.11 on Windows 7 (using the US-International Keyboard).
When I run a Spelling and Grammar check in Writer and come across a misspelled word, the module offers three correction buttons: "Correct", "Correct All", and "Always Correct".
The "Always Correct" button doesn't appear to be documented anywhere and does not appear to actually do anything.
(The "Correct All" button only corrects a single instance of a misspelled word, a bug I have submitted in a separate report.)
Related bug, to be filed separately:
* The error correction buttons in the actual Spelling and Grammar module are labeled "Correct", "Correct All", and "Always Correct". The help module and online documentation (still?) refer to them as "Change" and "Change All".
Peter: please keep in mind that Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice are 2 different softwares. Could you give a try to LibreOffice 4.2.3?
That button is functional, but gives no feedback. It could be improved if it was working as Change All after adding the Autocorrect entry.
Actually, what the "Always Correct" button does is to add the selected correction pair to the AutoCorrect table. If AutoCorrect is turned off, or if you're not actively typing the misspelling, it doesn't get corrected. The "Always Correct" button should probably be relabeled to something like "Add to AutoCorrect" or if space is short, "+→AutoCorrect" or just "AutoCorrect". (Someone told me the button is more accurately labeled "AutoCorrect" in the German-language interface.)
Is changing the button name something that Heiko or Andreas csn change? Only a fixed bug is a good bug.
I couldn't find any info about that on https://help.libreoffice.org/6.3/en-US/text/shared/01/06010000.html
That button had name "AutoCorrect" in the OOo and in our Help we have (now!):
Adds the current combination of the incorrect word and the replacement word to the AutoCorrect replacements table.
I think we should rename that button to "Add to AutoCorrect"
(In reply to Roman Kuznetsov from comment #7)
> I think we should rename that button to "Add to AutoCorrect"
That sounds like an *excellent* idea! In fact, I think a commenter higher up on this thread already proposed it! ;-)
Heiko/Xisco: thought you might be interested in this one since it concerns UX.
Let's go with this solution. This is definitely an easyhack.
FTR: the change from AutoCorrect to Always Correct was in https://git.libreoffice.org/core/+/2c78a8cd8a299fc7ec44947f0f7cb0de7d28f391 "Better wording for Spellcheck buttons/context menu" in master toward 4.1.
Missed the point of Samuel's patch, it was just "Change" to "Correct" and "AutoCorrect" to "Always correct".
"Add to AutoCorrect" is clearer and more accurate than "Always Correct." (Pressing that button doesn't "always correct" the misspelling when AutoCorrect is turned off or when you're spellchecking a document that's already been typed. It just adds the correction pair to the AutoCorrect table.) I've been using word processors since WordStar for DOS and it took me an *unreasonably* long time to figure out what the "Always Correct" button was actually doing. If display space is a serious issue, "AutoCorrect" would be okay in a pinch, but "Add to AutoCorrect" is more explicit and won't leave anyone scratching their head.
I appreciate your work on this, Heiko, and I'm sure other users who haven't yet figured out what "Always Correct" actually does will appreciate it even more!
PS: I was actually the Peter CM who filed this bug, and I misspoke in my initial post when I said I was using OpenOffice. It was definitely LibreOffice, since I haven't used OpenOffice since 2008. I tried to correct my mistake, but I seem to recall LibreOffice's bug reporting moved from FreeDesktop.org to DocumentFoundation.org at around that time. I got locked out of my old account and couldn't create a new one using the same email address. By the time I figured out a workaround for creating a new account, I had forgotten the need to follow up on my OpenOffice misstatement. I apologize for any confusion and wasted time that might have caused.
(In reply to MartinPC from comment #13)
> I've been using word processors since WordStar for DOS and it took
> me an *unreasonably* long time to figure out what the "Always Correct"
> button was actually doing.
One more correction: I've been using word processors since WordStar for *CP/M*, not DOS! I really *am* getting to be an old-timer!