Created attachment 96970 [details]
doc with immutable chars (glyphs) put in the 1st line
Font face (possibly, other attributes, too) may get unchangeable (immutable) on some material imported into document. This may happen, e.g., when inserting (pasting) text via clipboard from PDF document open in KDE's Okular.
In the proof doc glyphs μ in the 1st line are set in unchangeable font face, which is at that different from what's set in paragraph style. The μ glyph is present in the fontface set in paragraph style. Neither 'Clear direct formatting' nor 'Set default character style' have any effect on the μμμ in the 1st line. The glyph is retaining its immutability when copied and pasted anywhere in the document.
You stated you use LO 3.6.7 - try LO 4.2. It works fine for me with 4.2 so I can't reproduce this.
What do you mean, 'works'? The initial three chars just are immune to any style changes, there'd been nothing said about doc not working.
Just tested with 126.96.36.199.
As far as I understand the ODF, the problem is in character styles defined and saved. There's style P1 and one of the font faces in it is defined like that: "'fontface'". However, that's as far as I'm capable to get with it.
By 'works' I mean that in the document you provided I can't reproduce your bug and also copying text from Okular doesn't cause this on my machine.
But I don't have the "Charter" font - maybe this is the reason.
You were right in your surmise about the font being the source of the problem. The pdf used latin /mu/ (U+00B5), I had (and used before) only greek /mu/ (U_03**) in the font.
Thanks for the hint! That specific problem is fixed.
However, please don't close this issue, for it is unrightfully closed https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=56076, again:
1) There's no way to know about glyph substitutions happening.
I understood what was happening only after I made several tests on your hint and the 'unicode fallback' face (little squares with unicode numbers) was ACCIDENTALLY substituted. The substitted glyphs can't be marked or highlighted, besides the obvious visual differences. There's no working with the 'source codes', too (like in WordPerfect).
2) There's no way to control the glyph substitution.
The result of substitution may get plain ugly and unprofessional, but once it happens, it stays happened (AFAIU, the substituted face gets written into the resulting ODF).
Worse yet, the actual form of the substitution may mutate over the environments and/or work sessions (yesterday I've got 'DejaVu Sans' instead of 'Charter', today I've got 'unicode fallback', and I haven't changed anything in my system configuration, honest). Hardly a portable document one gets, eh?
Dear Bug Submitter,
This bug has been in NEEDINFO status with no change for at least 6 months. Please provide the requested information as soon as possible and mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED. Due to regular bug tracker maintenance, if the bug is still in NEEDINFO status with no change in 30 days the QA team will close the bug as INVALID due to lack of needed information.
For more information about our NEEDINFO policy please read the wiki located here:
If you have already provided the requested information, please mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED so that the QA team knows that the bug is ready to be confirmed.
Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!
(In reply to QA Administrators from comment #5)
As reported earlier in comment #4, I consider this issue to be fixed, but in letter only, not "in spirit".
Missing glyphs are substituted with no control over the process and no good info on it, at least on Linux systems.
Created attachment 109547 [details]
another example of immutable chars
Dashes are perceptibly different, because the upper of them is U+2015 (not present in Charter font, so replaced by arbitratry face), and the lower one is U+2014 (present).
Would it be too hard to add at least something like status bar element showing the unicode for the glyph (possibly, (substituted) font face, too?) in the cursor position?
...by the way, I had to unzip the ODT and browse the content.xml to know what the (substituted) glyph code actually was.
Dear Bug Submitter,
Please read this message in its entirety before proceeding.
Your bug report is being closed as INVALID due to inactivity and a lack of information which is needed in order to accurately reproduce and confirm the problem. We encourage you to retest your bug against the latest release. If the issue is still present in the latest stable release, we need the following information (please ignore any that you've already provided):
a) Provide details of your system including your operating system and the latest version of LibreOffice that you have confirmed the bug to be present
b) Provide easy to reproduce steps – the simpler the better
c) Provide any test case(s) which will help us confirm the problem
d) Provide screenshots of the problem if you think it might help
e) Read all comments and provide any requested information
Once all of this is done, please set the bug back to UNCONFIRMED and we will attempt to reproduce the issue.
Please do not:
a) respond via email
b) update the version field in the bug or any of the other details on the top section of FDO
Message generated on: 2015-02-11