Bug 78596 - New Central European website font doesn't include "č"
Summary: New Central European website font doesn't include "č"
Status: CLOSED MOVED
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: WWW (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
unspecified
Hardware: Other All
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2014-05-12 08:42 UTC by Martin Srebotnjak
Modified: 2014-05-15 12:29 UTC (History)
4 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
č from another font - screenshot of headings (669.07 KB, image/png)
2014-05-12 09:02 UTC, Martin Srebotnjak
Details
č from another font - screenshot of headings and text (130.11 KB, image/png)
2014-05-12 09:02 UTC, Martin Srebotnjak
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Martin Srebotnjak 2014-05-12 08:42:43 UTC
Hi,
the new website has a headings font, that renders "č" from another font, which means it is not fully UTF-8 compliant (or there is some other problem with it).

It looks unprofessional to have two different fonts used for different characters on page headings and subheadings.
Comment 1 Martin Srebotnjak 2014-05-12 09:02:24 UTC
Created attachment 98890 [details]
č from another font - screenshot of headings
Comment 2 Martin Srebotnjak 2014-05-12 09:02:45 UTC
Created attachment 98891 [details]
č from another font - screenshot of headings and text
Comment 3 Martin Srebotnjak 2014-05-12 09:03:25 UTC
I am now seeing that not only headings but also normal text has problems with "č". See attached screenshots.
Comment 4 tommy27 2014-05-12 10:45:57 UTC
please give exact URL of that localized version of the LibO website so we can double check.
Comment 5 Martin Srebotnjak 2014-05-12 15:02:15 UTC
It's the Slovenian site (sl), but do not know how you will be able to access it, I have not published it since it is not fully localized and the "č" bug isn't fixed yet.
Maybe someone from WWW/silverstripe project can help here.

I only have this link, if it is active for unlogged users:
https://www.libreoffice.org/domov/?SubsiteID=48&stage=Live
Comment 6 tommy27 2014-05-12 18:03:24 UTC
probably you refer to http://sl.libreoffice.org/
edited summary notes
Comment 7 Martin Srebotnjak 2014-05-12 18:37:04 UTC
No, I do not refer to sl.libreoffice.org, that is the Slovenian site with the old design. The font there works fine.

As you can see from the attached screenshots - I am referring to the new design, which cannot be seen on Slovenian site yet, because the translation is not finished - and I will not translate the new design to the end and publish it, until someone fixes the "č" bug in the display of the *new design* Slovenian site.

So to see the c with caron problem you can try this link which is the link to the demo Slovenian "new design" site from Silverstripe (still being translated and not published):
https://www.libreoffice.org/domov/?SubsiteID=48&stage=Live

May I add: this will most likely be a problem also for Croatian, Bosnian, Serbian Latin, probably also for Czech and Slovak sites using the same font, because those alphabets contain the c with caron character as well).
Comment 8 Martin Srebotnjak 2014-05-12 18:38:15 UTC
So if you already change the description of the bug replace Slovenian with Central European (that is also the pre-UTF-8-era name of the fonts for this region).
Comment 9 tommy27 2014-05-12 18:49:13 UTC
Ok changed.
Comment 10 tommy27 2014-05-12 18:51:21 UTC
I also confirm issue in the latest link you provided

I add localization expert to CC list.

@sophie
do you have any ideas who can take this report?
Comment 11 sophie 2014-05-12 18:55:13 UTC
This is already entered on Redmine, but let this one open until we are sure it's handled correctly on Redmine :) Sophie
Comment 12 Tomaz Vajngerl 2014-05-12 19:03:44 UTC
As far as I see the problem is the Lato font, which the new LO page uses and gets from google. You can review this font at [1]. I have seen that Lato 2.0 has been released fairly recently [2] and adds support for a lot of missing glyphs (tried it locally and it works with "č") so I guess google still uses the previous version.

[1] https://www.google.com/fonts#ReviewPlace:refine
[2] http://www.latofonts.com/2014/02/27/lato-2-0-released/
Comment 13 Adolfo Jayme 2014-05-13 00:00:56 UTC
(In reply to comment #12)
You guessed it correctly. Google Fonts still hosts the older version of Lato.

These issues should not be filed here, now that we have Redmine for infrastructure issues, and this should be filed against Google Fonts’ own bug tracker to ask them to update the font files. (googlefontdirectory.googlecode.com)
Comment 14 Martin Srebotnjak 2014-05-15 10:34:21 UTC
I am sorry, but it is not a Google bug.

The designer unprofessionaly chose a font for the new LO website that does not include all UTF-8 characters. While Google might not have the right font there, it is the bug of the LO website.
So:
- the LO website maintainers/designers must urgently ask Google to upload/use newer version of the font
and if that is not feasible in a few days:
- the font must be replaced by LO website maintainers/designers with another font including UTF-8 character that support localization of the site as intended

And such designers should not be appointed such l10n-compliant tasks ever again.

Will not start localizing the site until you make it happen.
Comment 15 Christian Lohmaier 2014-05-15 12:27:37 UTC
moving this to redmine.
Comment 16 Christian Lohmaier 2014-05-15 12:29:52 UTC
https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/412