Bug 87362 - TOOLBAR: New image toolbar
Summary: TOOLBAR: New image toolbar
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
4.5.0.0.alpha0+ Master
Hardware: Other All
: medium enhancement
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords: needsUXEval
Depends on:
Blocks: Writer-Images Writer-Toolbars
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2014-12-16 14:13 UTC by Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired)
Modified: 2018-10-28 13:57 UTC (History)
5 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
new image toolbar (47.42 KB, image/png)
2014-12-17 20:34 UTC, Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired)
Details
updated new image toolbar (48.51 KB, image/png)
2014-12-21 01:30 UTC, Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired)
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2014-12-16 14:13:23 UTC
Presently in Writer, when you click on an image, the frame and image toolbars are activated. This should be changed so that only the image toolbar appears where the frame toolbar is currently appearing, and the useful buttons from the frame toolbar should be added to the image toolbar.
Comment 1 Joel Madero 2014-12-16 15:37:03 UTC
What are the "useful buttons" in the frame bar?

Setting to NEEDINFO.
Comment 2 Cor Nouws 2014-12-16 19:56:54 UTC
Hi Jay,

Sorry for being mostly absent and not being able to ask some questions ;)

Did you have a look at the fact that the frame toolbar also appears when a frame is selected? And - at a first glance - shows functions that are equal useful to frames and pictures, that can be considered to behave as a frame in many aspects?

Cheers,
Cor
Comment 3 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2014-12-17 07:45:46 UTC
(In reply to Joel Madero from comment #1)
> What are the "useful buttons" in the frame bar?

wrapping, horizontal alignment, anchor, arrangement, borders

(In reply to Cor Nouws from comment #2)
> Hi Jay,

Hi Cor,

> Sorry for being mostly absent and not being able to ask some questions ;)

I've been quite absent these last few weeks as well, so you havent missed much. :D

> Did you have a look at the fact that the frame toolbar also appears when a
> frame is selected? And - at a first glance - shows functions that are equal
> useful to frames and pictures, that can be considered to behave as a frame
> in many aspects?

Yes the frame toolbar has many functions that are equally important to frames and pictures, which is why the important ones would be put into the image toolbar, but it also has functions that are not image related, so they appear disabled when an image is selected. Presently, a user has to look through two toolbars for image related features and it would be better to have it just in one.
Comment 4 Cor Nouws 2014-12-17 14:22:21 UTC
(In reply to Jay Philips from comment #3)
> Yes the frame toolbar has many functions that are equally important to
> frames and pictures, which is why the important ones would be put into the
> image toolbar, but it also has functions that are not image related, so they

Only three ..

> appear disabled when an image is selected. Presently, a user has to look
> through two toolbars for image related features and it would be better to
> have it just in one.

But it emphasizes behaviour being the same for pictures and frames.
I really wouldn't spent any time on thinking about changing this.
Comment 5 Cor Nouws 2014-12-17 14:34:57 UTC
The Frame-toolbar actually is the one replacing the formatting toolbar when a frame/OLE-object/Image is selected.

(mind that a possible 'enhanced' image toolbar also needs to have the drop down for styles)
Comment 6 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2014-12-17 20:34:38 UTC
Created attachment 110964 [details]
new image toolbar

This is currently what i believe the new toolbar should look like. It is still a work in progress which i hope to complete in the next few days. Regarding the style drop down, i dont believe it is essential for the image toolbar as it doesnt contain any pre-configured image styles in it, so it would be hidden by default.
Comment 7 Cor Nouws 2014-12-17 20:37:51 UTC
 .
Comment 8 V Stuart Foote 2014-12-18 13:55:45 UTC
back to UX-advise, for design/UX review. And if/when approved to UI please--not Writer
Comment 9 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2014-12-21 01:30:15 UTC
Created attachment 111097 [details]
updated new image toolbar
Comment 10 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2015-02-28 02:14:01 UTC
Borders and background color should have been removed from the mockup.
Comment 11 Robinson Tryon (qubit) 2016-08-25 04:44:50 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 12 Maxim Monastirsky 2018-10-28 13:57:13 UTC
(In reply to Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) from comment #0)
> Presently in Writer, when you click on an image, the frame and image
> toolbars are activated. This should be changed so that only the image
> toolbar appears where the frame toolbar is currently appearing
There is now a patch in gerrit which implements this part:

https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/62379/

See also the discussion in Bug 120985, which wants the opposite (keep the current behavior for images, and do the same for ole objects).