Bug Hunting Session
Bug 87672 - Moving Impress view tabs to slide pane
Summary: Moving Impress view tabs to slide pane
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: UI (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
Inherited From OOo
Hardware: Other All
: medium enhancement
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords: needsDevEval, topicUI
Depends on:
Blocks: Slide-Page-Pane Impress-UX
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2014-12-24 07:49 UTC by Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired)
Modified: 2017-05-13 12:04 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
Two mockups (11.90 KB, image/png)
2015-02-26 00:34 UTC, Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired)
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2014-12-24 07:49:30 UTC
The view tabs above the slide in impress take up a good chunk of useful space and there is no means to disable it. Ideally it would be better to move these tabs into the top of the left slide pane and hide the less used handout tab so it will fit.
Comment 1 Cor Nouws 2014-12-24 10:38:45 UTC
I've no objection in moving- though I don't have the vertical-lack-of-space-problem.
I would be against hiding on the items. Consequent visibility of related choices looks a good thing to me.
Comment 2 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2014-12-24 12:16:40 UTC
(In reply to Cor Nouws from comment #1)
> I've no objection in moving- though I don't have the
> vertical-lack-of-space-problem.

With its removal, it would likely increase my slide view from 75% to 78% on my 1440x900 resolution.

> I would be against hiding on the items. Consequent visibility of related
> choices looks a good thing to me.

Well if they can all fit in the space then it would be most ideal.
Comment 3 Cor Nouws 2014-12-28 21:27:15 UTC
(In reply to Jay Philips from comment #2)

> Well if they can all fit in the space then it would be most ideal.

I would like to set that as a _condition_.
The vertical space gain is IMHO not that impressive (4%) that I'd want to hide obvious info for it.
Comment 4 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2014-12-31 00:48:17 UTC
(In reply to Cor Nouws from comment #3)
> I would like to set that as a _condition_.

We presently dont have master slide as one of the tabs. :D

> The vertical space gain is IMHO not that impressive (4%) that I'd want to
> hide obvious info for it.

Ever bit counts, especially when you are on smaller screens.
Comment 5 Cor Nouws 2014-12-31 10:04:56 UTC
(In reply to Jay Philips from comment #4)
> (In reply to Cor Nouws from comment #3)
> > I would like to set that as a _condition_.
> 
> We presently dont have master slide as one of the tabs. :D

Master slide is different. Therefore it's not offered now there too with the tabs.
So an invalid reply to my objection.
Comment 6 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2015-02-26 00:34:02 UTC
Created attachment 113695 [details]
Two mockups

So we discussed this issue in the design meeting today and kendy asked that i come up with a mockup, so here are two.

== Tab View ==

Handout view was left out of the tab view as it is a feature of master slides and would be one of the tabs when a user is in master slide view.

Slide Sorter view was left out of the tab view as users can sort slides within the slide pane and the option to enable this view is in the View menu.

When a user switches to master slide mode, the tabs would be Master (aka Normal), Handout, and Notes.

== Combobox View ==

With this view, we can include as many views as we like but it would be organized as:

Normal
Outline
Notes
- separator -
Master
Outline
Comment 7 Cor Nouws 2015-02-27 08:52:14 UTC
So this morning I suddenly realized the "related trouble' we're moving in Jay ;)

Moving view tabs to the side pane, to save space on top: well, ok maybe..
- But the side pane is too small for full tabs, so remove some (ughh) or use icons (done on may places, so why not)... 
- But .. the side pane is invisible with Handouts and Slide sorter. Makes no sense to show it. And esp with the slide sorter it would be a big waste of space.
However no side bar, no tabs/icons...

So, there's a problem..?
Comment 8 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2015-02-27 11:05:06 UTC
(In reply to Cor Nouws from comment #7)
> Moving view tabs to the side pane, to save space on top: well, ok maybe..
> - But the side pane is too small for full tabs, so remove some (ughh) or use
> icons (done on may places, so why not)... 

Well the only one that is actually being removed in slide sorter. Handout view is a view associated with master slides, so it would appear in master slide view.

> - But .. the side pane is invisible with Handouts and Slide sorter. Makes no
> sense to show it. And esp with the slide sorter it would be a big waste of
> space.

With handouts in master view, the slide pane would be visible and it doesnt waste any space there as handouts is in portrait view.

I personally feel that the slide pane should stay in the slider sorter view in order to keep the UI constant in all views. Also it isnt a big waste of space as the slide pane takes up 200px by default and i believe the sidebar wastes more space than it. ;D Also if it is open in slider sorter, a user would have easy access to the view tabs so they could jump back to normal view easier.
Comment 9 Cor Nouws 2015-02-27 11:40:55 UTC
(In reply to Jay Philips from comment #8)

> Well the only one that is actually being removed in slide sorter. Handout
> view is a view associated with master slides, so it would appear in master
> slide view.

How is hand out view associate with slide master?

> > - But .. the side pane is invisible with Handouts and Slide sorter. Makes no
> > sense to show it. And esp with the slide sorter it would be a big waste of
> > space.
> 
> With handouts in master view, the slide pane would be visible and it doesnt
> waste any space there as handouts is in portrait view.

I did not write it wastes space in hand out view.

> I personally feel that the slide pane should stay in the slider sorter view
> in order to keep the UI constant in all views. Also it isnt a big waste of
> space as the slide pane takes up 200px by default and i believe the sidebar

And you say 4% / 46px is a big waste in your earlier comment #2. 
I don't understand this. When you work with slide decks of over 20, 30 slides, you need a lot of space.

> wastes more space than it. ;D Also if it is open in slider sorter, a user
> would have easy access to the view tabs so they could jump back to normal
> view easier.

Yes, that is the problem I described. By moving the view tabs to the side pane, we push handouts in master view, which hides them, and we waste enormous space  in the slide sorter by showing a useless pane.

I don't think that's a good solution.
We win a mer 4% at the top and make items hidden and wast space..
I don't like that. We need to work on a different solution IMO.
Comment 10 Cor Nouws 2015-02-27 11:42:22 UTC
(By the way: people that need space, of course set icons to small.
And you can scale the whole UI. Is what I do too. )
Comment 11 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2015-02-27 17:14:05 UTC
(In reply to Cor Nouws from comment #9)
> How is hand out view associate with slide master?

When you are in hand out view and you open the slide pane, it shows you the slide masters in it, and that is likely why the pane was hidden. In Powerpoint and IBM Symphony handout view is categorized together with master slide view.

> I did not write it wastes space in hand out view.

Okay.

> And you say 4% / 46px is a big waste in your earlier comment #2. 
> I don't understand this. When you work with slide decks of over 20, 30
> slides, you need a lot of space.

It would be a waste for users who never use the tabs. In slide sorter view, i can easily click and hide the slide pane and sidebar if i need more room, but there is no means of hiding the view tabs.

> Yes, that is the problem I described. By moving the view tabs to the side
> pane, we push handouts in master view, which hides them, and we waste
> enormous space  in the slide sorter by showing a useless pane.

I was placing handouts in master view for better organization, but that doesnt mean its not accessible easily accessible from the View menu. I'm only trying to stay consistent with the UI across all the views, but that doesnt stop a user from disabling the slide pane in slide sorter, just like how its possible for me to enable it now.
Comment 12 Cor Nouws 2015-03-08 21:05:25 UTC
Comparing current with proposed:

For Handout:
Current: 
 click Handout
Proposal:
 choose View > Handout

Where does that leave the tab state of Normal/Outline/Notes?

For Slide sorter
Current: 
 click Slide sorter
Proposal: 
 choose View > Slide sorter
 click to hide the Slide panel, for full space, which is what one wants with the slide sorter.

- Where does that leave the tab state of Normal/Outline/Notes?

Change to other state:
 Choose menu View ...
or fist unhide the Slide panel to see the Tabs again.

- There is no natural link between the position of the tabs, and the frame that they act upon. 
- The Tab state does not consequently reflect the state of the frame that they act upon..

Can't we place some icon-controls at the left side of the horizontal scroll bar in the middle pane? There is space for all of them, all the different states are properly reflected, the position reveals the frame they act upon...
Comment 13 Cor Nouws 2015-03-08 21:10:52 UTC
Comparing current with proposed:

For Handout (not related to master slides; only problem is that it's broken at the moment bug 80866):
Current: 
 click tab Handout
Proposal:
 choose View > Handout

- Where does that leave the tab state of Normal/Outline/Notes?

For Slide sorter
Current: 
 click tab Slide sorter
Proposal: 
 choose View > Slide sorter
 for full space, which is what one wants with the slide sorter:
 click to hide the Slide panel, 

Change to other state:
 Choose menu View ...
 or fist unhide the Slide panel to see the Tabs again.

General issues:
- There is no natural link between the position of the tabs, and the frame that they act upon. 
- The Tab state does not consequently reflect the state of the frame that they act upon..

Different approach: can't we place some icon-controls at the left side of the horizontal scroll bar in the middle pane? There is space for all of them, all the different states are properly reflected, the position reveals the frame they act upon...
Comment 14 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2015-05-01 14:35:22 UTC
Lets see if we can get some evaluation by a dev with some code pointers.

@Cor: Thought more about the issue of the view tabs not reflecting the current state and there are two possible solutions that i've come up with.

1) hide the slide pane when in handout and slide sorter views, as it is currently.

2) when in handout or slide sorter views, the view tabs would show tabs for 'Normal', 'Handout' and 'Slide Sorter'. This will allow easy access back to 'Normal' view which would return the older arrangement view tabs.

(In reply to Cor Nouws from comment #13)
> Different approach: can't we place some icon-controls at the left side of
> the horizontal scroll bar in the middle pane? There is space for all of
> them, all the different states are properly reflected, the position reveals
> the frame they act upon...

Seems like an interesting approach and would look somewhat similar to how it now looks in Draw. The problems i presently see with this is that we dont have icons for any of these UNO commands and there would be alot of wasted space below these icons.
Comment 15 Cor Nouws 2015-05-03 21:15:52 UTC
(In reply to Yousuf (Jay) Philips from comment #14)

> 1) hide the slide pane when in handout and slide sorter views, as it is
> currently.
> 
> 2) when in handout or slide sorter views, the view tabs would show tabs for

Then the tabs are not visible above the slide pane?

> ...  and there would be alot of wasted
> space below these icons.

Should not be waste of space below them, if they are in a horizontal row at the left side of the horizontal scroll bar, I think?
Comment 16 Robinson Tryon (qubit) 2015-12-13 11:24:23 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 17 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2016-04-05 19:42:24 UTC
Just a quit update. While in normal view we should show entries for Normal, Outline, Notes, and Slide Sorter. While in master slide view, we should show entries for Normal, Notes, and Handout.