Created attachment 127363 [details]
Kerning disabling example on Linux (LO 5.1.5)
As can be seen in the attached screenshot, disabling of kerning in the character properties (context menu -> Character... -> Position tab) does not actually disable it. It can be observed with "Te" in "Test" and "Ve" in "Version" in the text.
Observed with 64-bit Lunux Mint 17.1 (based on Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS), where the additional fonts were installed by installing Ubuntu's ttf-mscorefonts-installer, fonts-crosextra-carlito and fonts-crosextra-caladea packages (manual installation triggering). LO as provided by its Ubuntu PPA:
Build ID: 1:5.1.5~rc2-0ubuntu1~trusty1
CPU Threads: 2; OS Version: Linux 3.13; UI Render: default;
Locale: de-DE (en_GB.UTF-8); Calc: group
This does not seem to depend on the used font - tested with Carlito, Caladea, Areal and Liberation Sans.
Reproducible with Writer, Impress, Draw and Calc. Whereby character kerning is disabled by default in the latter and that's where it becomes visible.
==> The issue leads to different Calc text display on Linux and Windows with default character configuration.
On Windows, the situation is a bit different:
- LO 5.2.1 on Vista: Kerning disabling works for all fonts, while its enabling doesn't work for Carlito and Caladea, which is a different issue - see bug 102224.
- LO 5.0.5 on Vista (tested as portable release on machine with LO 5.2.1 installed): The current Linux issue existed here as well.
Created attachment 127365 [details]
Kerning disabling example on Windows Vista (LO 5.2.1; Carlito and Caladea kerning always disabled due to different issue - bug 102224))
Created attachment 127366 [details]
Writer file used for the test
The issue is also reproducible on 32-bit Debian (liveUSB) with:
Build ID: 08f79e4686b97b8dae4acf0a804b8bbd1c29dd34
CPU Threads: 2; OS Version: Linux 4.3; UI Render: default;
TinderBox: Linux-rpm_deb-x86@71-TDF, Branch:libreoffice-5-2, Time: 2016-09-09_09:34:52
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); Calc: group
Note: The Windows-to-Linux difference might be explained by the platform differences described in bug 89870 and other issues enumerated by its implementer in https://somefoobar.wordpress.com/2016/08/24/gsoc-project-comes-to-an-end/
Created attachment 129401 [details]
Kerning disabling example on Windows Vista (LO 5.3.0.beta1)
CPU-Threads: 2; BS-Version: Windows 6.0; UI-Render: Standard; Layout-Engine: neu;
Gebietsschema: de-DE (de_DE); Calc: group
Status after introduction of HarfBuzz on Windows (bug 89870): The behavior on Windows is now equal to the one on Linux. Therefore, I assume that this is a regression related to HarfBuzz introduction.
- HarfBuzz was introduced on Linux with LO 4.1 - see https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/4.1#Core and on Windows and Mac with LO 5.3 - see https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.3#Text_Layout
- The Areal font in the above test shows an always-off kerning for some reason. I'm not sure if its OS, LO version or font version dependent.
Indeed, tests with TDF builds on 32-bit Debian Linux reveal that:
- Following does not show the issue:
Version 126.96.36.199 (Build ID: 2e2573268451a50806fcd60ae2d9fe01dd0ce24
- Following does show the issue:
Build ID: 89ea49ddacd9aa532507cbf852f2bb22b1ace28
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 105454 ***