Bug Hunting Session
Bug 105685 - [UI] String badly translated: Notebookbar → Ribbon (Cinta in Spanish)
Summary: [UI] String badly translated: Notebookbar → Ribbon (Cinta in Spanish)
Status: CLOSED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Linguistic (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
5.3.0.2 rc
Hardware: All Linux (All)
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard: target:5.4.0 target:5.3.1
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2017-02-01 22:23 UTC by haevalencia
Modified: 2017-02-17 04:29 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description haevalencia 2017-02-01 22:23:24 UTC
Description:
In the translation into Spanish (and other languages) the concept "Notebookbar" is not maintained and replaced by Ribbon.

I have read a lot that Notebookbar is not Ribbon and this confuses a lot to users like saying that MUFFIN is Ribbon or that Notebookbar is the Ribbon component of LO, etc.

Actual Results:  
Bad translation

Expected Results:
Good translation


Reproducible: Always

User Profile Reset: No

Additional Info:


User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Fedora; Linux x86_64; rv:51.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/51.0
Comment 1 Adolfo Jayme 2017-02-02 01:53:52 UTC
I thing you’re mixing up some things:

MUFFIN is out new UI concept which entails several configurable UI arrangements, comprising the single toolbar modes, the Notebookbar, the Sidebar and the traditional toolbars; that term is not translated.

“Notebookbar”, in English, is used to refer specifically to our ribbon-like arrangement, which is implemented with the GtkNotebook widget of the Gtk+ toolkit, hence the name.

It is translated as “cinta” in Spanish because that is what it is in essence, even though our implementation differs from others in several fundamental ways. The word was chosen because it is the most representative one for users that migrate from Microsoft Office or other office suites that use it. The “ribbon” is, of course, not a UI paradigm invented by Microsoft, but they popularized it as one part of their UI redesign of Office 2007 and named it so.

If you can give me a replacement that is:

- Short
- Understandable
- Representative of the thing it refers to

… I’ll change it.
Comment 2 haevalencia 2017-02-02 09:43:42 UTC
(In reply to Adolfo Jayme from comment #1)
> I thing you’re mixing up some things:
> 
> MUFFIN is out new UI concept which entails several configurable UI
> arrangements, comprising the single toolbar modes, the Notebookbar, the
> Sidebar and the traditional toolbars; that term is not translated.
> 

That is what the press has done a very bad job confusing the users more. The translation in part justifies the confusion.

> “Notebookbar”, in English, is used to refer specifically to our ribbon-like
> arrangement, which is implemented with the GtkNotebook widget of the Gtk+
> toolkit, hence the name.
> 

I have read the last post that refer to MUFFIN and I dont see references to Ribbon UI in a Notebookbar component as a design paradigm or something similar. If I did, I would not have written this report. Like the press, focusing on a single element in its entirety, greatly limits the concept vision that is intended to deliver as very similar as it seems to be.
https://design.blog.documentfoundation.org/2017/01/16/diy-ui-how-to-create-your-own-notebookbar/

> It is translated as “cinta” in Spanish because that is what it is in
> essence, even though our implementation differs from others in several
> fundamental ways.

In essence NotebookBar can be Ribbon and a lot of other things. How can a single vision be representative of everything?
Even "Notebookbar contextual single" moves away from what is Ribbon (using microsoft as a reference). So "Cinta - Barra única contextual" is bad

< The word was chosen because it is the most representative

Notebookbar doesnt try to imitate Ribbon and is more than Ribbon, so the translation is not representative.

> one for users that migrate from Microsoft Office or other office suites that
> use it. The “ribbon” is, of course, not a UI paradigm invented by Microsoft,
> but they popularized it as one part of their UI redesign of Office 2007 and
> named it so.
>

I understand but I dont think it is an essential part of the discussion. The criteria must be based on the project and not think of third party software as a rule.
 
> If you can give me a replacement that is:
> 
> - Short
> - Understandable
> - Representative of the thing it refers to
> 

Based on the reading on MUFFIN and Notebookbar I think it is more representative using:

- (barra dinámica): Dynamic bar represents the flexibility that Notebookbar delivers when grouping functions.
- (barra contenedora): Container bar
- (barra contextual) My favorite. Contextual Bar is very representative of the functions that Notebookbar delivers, since in contrast to the classic toolbars, a contextual bar is dynamic and allows grouping functions dynamically based on a given context on the same canvas, which is part of its essence (As opposed to a contextual toolbar). In this way, there are currently 3 variants of notebookbar based on some context (in tabs, grouped or single bar).

A more consistent translation of the "interface layout" would be (spanish proposal)
-Predeterminado
-Barra única
-Barra lateral
-Barra contextual - En grupos
                  - En Barra única o Barra única
                  - En pestañas


> … I’ll change it.

Thank you
Comment 3 Adolfo Jayme 2017-02-02 09:55:01 UTC
Sure, I like it. Give me a few days, since Pootle is down right now.
Comment 4 Heiko Tietze 2017-02-06 11:37:58 UTC
(In reply to Adolfo Jayme from comment #3)
> Sure, I like it. Give me a few days, since Pootle is down right now.

The decision was made in the l10n team to translate it differently to "cinta" and will be implemented as soon as Pootle is up again.