Bug 106074 - 'Link to External Data...' data duplicated in new cells on opening file and updating link
Summary: 'Link to External Data...' data duplicated in new cells on opening file and u...
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Calc (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
5.3.0.3 release
Hardware: All All
: high normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords: bibisectRequest, regression
Depends on:
Blocks: Calc-External-Datalink
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2017-02-18 09:53 UTC by email
Modified: 2018-06-07 08:09 UTC (History)
5 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
Test file (data duplicated in new cells on opening file and updating external link) (8.69 KB, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.spreadsheet)
2017-02-18 09:53 UTC, email
Details
Modified test file. (10.26 KB, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.spreadsheet)
2017-02-18 18:17 UTC, m.a.riosv
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description email 2017-02-18 09:53:45 UTC
Created attachment 131312 [details]
Test file (data duplicated in new cells on opening file and updating external link)

Bug:
Using data from an external link, when the spreadsheet is opened and the link is updated, some data from the link (but not all) is duplicated and displayed below the existing data.

Expected behavior:
Existing data should be updated/overwritten (rather than duplicated in new cells below existing data).

Steps to reproduce problem:
(1) Open new spreadsheet
(2) 'Sheet -> Link to External Data...'
(3) Use "http://google.com/finance" and select HTML_3 (data is inserted as expected... OK so far)
(4) Save and close spreadsheet
(5) Open spreadsheet and allow link to be updated - some of the data is duplicated below the original data

Attachment:
The attached file has "http://google.com/finance" HTML_3 inserted into H5 (an arbitrary cell for an example). There is no other content in the spreadsheet.
When you open the file, as soon as you click "Yes" to "This file contains links to other files. Should they be updated?", you should see 3 additional lines of text (the last 3 lines of the external data) being added below the existing data. Each time you save and open the file, 3 more lines will be added.

Note:
The amount of data duplicated when the link is updated seems to be related to the cell that the link is inserted into.
For the example attached, 3 lines of data are duplicated (each time the file is opened and the link is updated) when "http://google.com/finance" HTML_3 is inserted into H5.
In N6 (for example), 6 lines of data are duplicated each time.
However, when the link is inserted into A1, no data is duplicated.
Comment 1 m.a.riosv 2017-02-18 18:17:38 UTC
Created attachment 131324 [details]
Modified test file.

Maybe something is wrong with your link, creating a new one, with the same address doesn't seem to reproduce the issue.
Comment 2 email 2017-02-18 21:20:38 UTC
D5 (where you've inserted the link in your sample file) seems to be a cell where the problem does not happen. Try H5, J1 or N6 (just arbitrary cells where the problem can be reproduced consistently).

I've been using the same link in various versions of LibreOffice over the years (in the same spreadsheet with the link in the same cell) and the problem started only when I installed 5.3.0.3.

Does not happen in 5.2.5.1.
Comment 3 Joel Madero 2017-02-19 04:44:22 UTC
Confirmed but some interesting findings:

With your attachment I can confirm with:
Version: 5.2.5.1
Build ID: 1:5.2.5~rc1-0ubuntu1~xenial0
CPU Threads: 2; OS Version: Linux 4.4; UI Render: default; VCL: gtk2; 
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); Calc: group

and 

Version: 5.4.0.0.alpha0+
Build ID: 12899c07be2f927776ae12ea1abcefdc4bea8346
CPU Threads: 2; OS Version: Linux 4.4; UI Render: default; VCL: gtk2; 
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); Calc: group

but with a new file and creating from scratch, I can confirm the regression
Comment 4 Buovjaga 2018-05-24 17:59:13 UTC
When I tied reproducing from scratch, I got no content.

Opening attachment 131312 [details] and clicking "Enable content", the old data was overwritten. Both on Win & Linux master.

Please re-test.

Arch Linux 64-bit
Version: 6.1.0.0.alpha1+
Build ID: eeaf6dee2d278eaa037d95a756ad0ffab3314bc2
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 4.16; UI render: default; VCL: kde4; 
Locale: fi-FI (fi_FI.UTF-8); Calc: group
Built on May 24th 2018
Comment 5 JeppeTh 2018-06-04 23:21:11 UTC
I still see the same problem with personal documents.

Seems to work the first times links are added. But after closing calc and then re-opening doc problem starts to occur again. 

I'll probably downgrade to 5.2.5.1 if possible since this bug kind of blocks my purpose of using Calc...

Version: 6.1.0.0.beta1 (x64)
Build ID: 8c76dfe1284e211954c30f219b3a38dcdd82f8a0
CPU threads: 12; OS: Windows 10.0; UI render: GL; 
Locale: en-US (en_SE); Calc: CL
Comment 6 JeppeTh 2018-06-06 22:56:08 UTC
Hmm - I installed 5.2.5.1 and problem was still there.
Re-created links and then it began to work.

So it seems the bug is kept within the doc and appears regardless of version used for opening.
Comment 7 Buovjaga 2018-06-07 08:09:00 UTC
Yeah, like I said, I could not reproduce from scratch, which would be the whole point. Let's close, then.