So the version control dialog ( File > Versions ) needs some improvements, so lets give our input on it here.
1. The dialog title used to begin with the string 'Versions of ' before the filename, but this strangely went missing in 4.2. @Xisco, @Bouvjaga: Can you bibisect this?
2. A checkbox entitled 'Show version comment when saving' would be useful, so that a user can always fill in this field when a new version is saved (on closing or on saving). It would be useful for the user to be able to set this option on a global and per file level.
3. Would be useful to be able to sort the grid by its columns. Feature is available in the manage track changes dialog.
4. Would be useful to be able to filter the grid by date (to and from) and by author. Feature is available in the manage track changes dialog.
Heiko has submitted a redesign concept in attachment 132649 [details], so here are some comments for it.
1. The function buttons were removed in favour of a grid selection context menu, which i believe will make the dialog less a11y accessible. @Stuart, Alex: Any input?
2. The user column was removed from the grid, but believe it would be useful when a document is modified by multiple users.
3. Not sure many users would be interested in the size column.
4. The show comment button was removed in favour of showing the entire comment in the grid, so though most users will normally leave short comments, what happens when it is quite long?
5. The original dialog had a CMIS button, so how would that be implemented in the new mockup.
(In reply to Yousuf Philips (jay) from comment #0)
> 5. The original dialog had a CMIS button, so how would that be implemented
> in the new mockup.
Version control was designed as independent from the storage. If the document is located on CMIS you do the same as for local files, just save with checking version control on/off. This might be wrong when the CMIS has version control itself such as Sharepoint. @Mike did some improvements recently.
Created attachment 132773 [details]
details from bibisect-42max
Working on debian-stretch in bibisect-42max repository, I have
narrowed the introduction of the bug of point 1. to the range ...
commit s-h date
-------- -------- ----------
good 12cf0e06 333b7fb3 2013-07-12
(skip 106 commits)
bad be8fdc8e 52bce8fa 2013-07-16
The first-encountered of the "skip" versions had a SIGSEGV in
I am setting keyword bibisected. However, I think it more likely that
I have a problem in my environment than that Writer really was broken
for four days, so I am leaving keyword bibisectRequest.