Bug 108316 - LibreOffice win32 comes with a broken ssl module
Summary: LibreOffice win32 comes with a broken ssl module
Status: RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 109241
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: LibreOffice (show other bugs)
(earliest affected)
5.1 all versions
Hardware: x86 (IA32) Windows (All)
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
Depends on:
Reported: 2017-06-03 06:45 UTC by vlad
Modified: 2017-09-21 10:10 UTC (History)
5 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:
Regression By:

The working _ssl.pyd from desktop Python (1.14 MB, application/x-ms-dos-executable)
2017-06-03 06:48 UTC, vlad

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description vlad 2017-06-03 06:45:51 UTC
For several years LO comes with a broken ssl module, due to this is very hard to use internet services.

Steps to Reproduce:
1.If you have a win32 machine,write an py file with only one command:
2. import ssl
3.put it in Script/python folder, then run it
4.You will get an error , something like "the system cannot run DLL ..."
5.ATTENTION!!! Usually from console everything works fine,the error is present when run the script as a macro (especial if a python version is already installed in your system)

Actual Results:  
Getting an error 

Expected Results:

Reproducible: Always

User Profile Reset: yes

Additional Info:
To verify if ssl module is broken:
1.open LibreOffice/program/python-core-3.3.0
2.Search  _ssl.pyd file .
3.If size is about 48kb, the file is broken.
4.Normal _ssl.pyd file has about 1.163 kb.
5.Once you copy and paste an _ssl.pyd file from the SAME VERSION of desktop
python ,the internet services work fine.
If I will find how to attach an normal _ssl.pyd ,I will attach it here.For current LO version is a file from python 3.3.5.

User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/58.0.3029.110 Safari/537.36
Comment 1 vlad 2017-06-03 06:48:01 UTC
Created attachment 133820 [details]
The working _ssl.pyd from desktop Python
Comment 2 Julien Nabet 2017-06-03 09:00:38 UTC
5.1 version is EOL.
Could you give a try to last stable LO version 5.3.3 (or at least last one of branch 5.2, 5.2.7)?
Comment 3 vlad 2017-06-03 09:45:53 UTC
I opened this topic after got this morning the update
The problem is still alive.
I never found this problem on my win64 macchine, only on win32 one.
Just check your _ssl.pyd size.
Comment 4 Julien Nabet 2017-06-03 10:12:04 UTC
Thank you for your feedback.
On Windows 10, I also got a file of 48kb.

Since I don't see any Script/python folder, I don't know how to test it but certainly someone may give it a try.

Anyway since I don't have more questions, let's put this one back to UNCONFIRMED.
Comment 5 vlad 2017-06-03 12:46:59 UTC
I am developing an extension, for LibreOffice, named LibreWeb.
You can find it on official LibreOffice extensions web-site.
If your LibreOffice has this problem (broken ssl ) you will always get an error,when trying to open some web site(see extension help for more information).
After replacing _ssl.pyd with a working one, extension works fine.
I am trying to say to developers to re-build again the LibreOffice python,and then include it in LibreOffice.
Comment 6 Julien Nabet 2017-06-03 15:43:36 UTC
Michael: noticing your patches about Python upgrade, I thought you might be interested in this one.
Comment 7 Xisco Faulí 2017-06-04 10:39:54 UTC
I found this thread: http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/error-python-uno-amp-HTTPSConnection-td4020234.html

@Laurent: Were you be able to fix it ?
Comment 8 Michael Stahl (allotropia) 2017-06-12 13:07:25 UTC
in my master dev build it is working fine (with CPython 3.5 and MSVC 2017).

the obvious difference between the 2 _ssl.pyd is that the small one
is dynamically linked and the large one is statically linked.

if put the following in instdir/share/Scripts/python/usessl.py:

def UseSSL():
    import ssl
    xModel = XSCRIPTCONTEXT.getDocument().getText().setString("UseSSL success")

...and run it from Writer, there is no error and the expected
success message appears in the document.

do you perhaps have some files "ssleay32.dll" and "libeay32.dll"
somewhere in C:/Windows ? that is known to ruin one's day.
Comment 9 Xisco Faulí 2017-06-15 12:05:59 UTC
Hi vlad,
Please check the details mentioned in comment 8
Comment 10 vlad 2017-06-15 13:27:45 UTC
Hi to all.
I confirm you the availability of these files(ssleay32.dll and libeay32.dll) in 3 different places:
-Git program
No match on Windows folder.
Comment 11 Julien Nabet 2017-06-15 13:49:34 UTC
Thank you Vlad for your feedback, it confirms Michael's comment 8.
Let's put this one to WFM then.
Comment 12 vlad 2017-09-21 07:55:45 UTC
The problem came again after update to this version.
Comment 13 Aron Budea 2017-09-21 10:10:37 UTC
Seems like a duplicate of bug 109241, please test with a daily build, and the upcoming 5.3.7/5.4.2 releases should include the fix.

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 109241 ***