Download it now!
Bug 109001 - Opening *.odt document changes caption categories to user interface caption categories
Summary: Opening *.odt document changes caption categories to user interface caption c...
Status: RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 44451
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
5.3.2.2 release
Hardware: x86-64 (AMD64) All
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: Fields-Cross-Reference
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2017-07-07 13:40 UTC by Mathijs Dumon
Modified: 2018-01-22 15:04 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Mathijs Dumon 2017-07-07 13:40:13 UTC
Description:
My user interface language is set to Dutch (NL)
I can create a new document (using English as the language) and add tables or figures. I can then add captions to these, with 'Table' or 'Illustration' as the category instead of the default dutch 'Tabel' or 'Afbeelding' category. I can create cross-references to this caption in the text without problems. All appears to be fine. I can even print this without problems.

When I save this document, close LibreOffice and re-open it I can see that the in the captions, the field name has already changed from 'Table' to 'Tabel' or 'Illustration' to 'Afbeelding' by double-clicking it. This happen regardless of the number of tables or images I added, even when e.g. using both the default 'Tabel' and custom 'Table' categories in the same document. The cross-reference at that point still looks ok, because it is not yet updated. However the moment you print, or export as pdf, an automatic field update is executed and the cross-reference looses the category label (only the table or figure number is displayed at that point).

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Set the user interface language to Dutch (did not test other settings)
2. Create a new Writer document
3. Add a table or image and insert a caption with the translated category (Table or Illustration)
3. Save the document
4. Close LibreOffice
5. Re-open the document
6. Double-click the caption field to confirm the category has changed (to 'Tabel' or 'Afbeelding')
6. Try to print or export as pdf to force update cross-referenced fields

Actual Results:  
After saving and re-opening the table and image caption categories are changed to the translated default category according to the user interface language.

Expected Results:
Saving and re-opening should preserve table and image category names, regardless of the user interface language settings.


Reproducible: Always

User Profile Reset: No

Additional Info:
This was actually an issue raised by my co-worker on a Windows PC, using a slightly more recent version (5.3.4). Changing our user interface language to English solves the issue, however this is a workaround and not a fix.


User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:49.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/49.0
Comment 1 Buovjaga 2017-08-07 12:36:57 UTC
(In reply to Mathijs Dumon from comment #0)
> Steps to Reproduce:
> 1. Set the user interface language to Dutch (did not test other settings)
> 2. Create a new Writer document
> 3. Add a table or image and insert a caption with the translated category
> (Table or Illustration)
> 3. Save the document
> 4. Close LibreOffice
> 5. Re-open the document
> 6. Double-click the caption field to confirm the category has changed (to
> 'Tabel' or 'Afbeelding')
> 6. Try to print or export as pdf to force update cross-referenced fields

You skipped the step of changing the document language to English.

I changed it to English, but the captions still get added in Finnish, when my UI lang is Finnish. I also switched locale, but no help.

Arch Linux 64-bit, KDE Plasma 5
Version: 6.0.0.0.alpha0+
Build ID: 7915f35d7fca5d0720d96954beaa97c00a2c3821
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 4.12; UI render: default; VCL: kde4; 
Locale: fi-FI (fi_FI.UTF-8); Calc: group
Built on August 7th 2017
Comment 2 Xisco Faulí 2017-11-20 16:23:03 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 3 Mathijs Dumon 2017-11-21 11:11:51 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 4 Mathijs Dumon 2017-11-21 11:14:06 UTC
Additional information:
using another label category (e.g. using Figure instead of Illustration) does work as expected - the bug only occurs for default english caption categories (Illustration, Text, Table, Drawing).
Comment 5 Buovjaga 2017-11-21 11:23:39 UTC
My comment 1 was just meant to say I am unable to even begin to reproduce the issue, because I cannot create English caption labels when the UI language is Finnish. I do not understand, how Mathijs is able to create them in the first place with Dutch UI.
Comment 6 Xisco Faulí 2018-01-22 15:04:24 UTC
it looks to me like a dupe of bug 44451

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 44451 ***